Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I'm resigned to us never going for Shawcross. He's arguably the best centre back outside the top 6.

what is top 6 these days? Liverpool or Everton excluded as both have defenders better than Shawcross

Personally, I think Jagielka, Williams, Hangeland and Collocini are much better but this is the transfer thread and we won't be making signings like that.

Top 6 being whoever finished in the top 6 last season, so Liverpool not being included. So in answer to the above remark I could name several cbs better than Shawcross outside the top 6 including K Toure, Agger, Williams, Chico and Bassong :)

Regarding a possible move can't ever see a move materalising for him.

not going to happen but Shawcross has not looked the same since Zlatan schooled him before Christmas.

was he the defender with the pathetic challenge for Benteke goal or was that Huth?

not going to happen but Shawcross has not looked the same since Zlatan schooled him before Christmas.

was he the defender with the pathetic challenge for Benteke goal or was that Huth?

Huth if my memory serves me correct, I was still in shock to see Lowton's 35 yard volley under pressure fly into the top corner though :D

Just wondering what these players would be worth if they were playing today?

One of the best posts ever on VT. I will never ever tire of watching that goal. A truly truly monumental moment.

I'm pretty sure also that one of  those large sets of arms featured in the replay waving about insanely in wild celebration in the video could very well be mine too because that's more or less where I was positioned in that stand behind the goal posts on the day.

Happy happy days! :)

Edited by villa-revolution
  • Like 1

There's absolutely no value to be had signing players within the PL, Lambert clearly sees this and has acted accordingly. Any, if not all, the players we've signed under him would have cost 3-4 times as much had they come from a PL side

I'm resigned to us never going for Shawcross. He's arguably the best centre back outside the top 6.

what is top 6 these days? Liverpool or Everton excluded as both have defenders better than Shawcross

Personally, I think Jagielka, Williams, Hangeland and Collocini are much better but this is the transfer thread and we won't be making signings like that.

Top 6 being whoever finished in the top 6 last season, so Liverpool not being included. So in answer to the above remark I could name several cbs better than Shawcross outside the top 6 including K Toure, Agger, Williams, Chico and Bassong :)

Regarding a possible move can't ever see a move materalising for him.

....take out Agger (although he is rarely fit these days) and maybe Jagielka.....Shawcross is far better than any other CB in either post....especially Bassong and Chico....as for Williams, last years 'Sun' player....spends too much time on his arse and I almost wet myself laughing when I heard Arsenal fancied him, but given Wengers talent for buying great CB's I wasn't surprised.

I think Trent said a few pages back we wont get a Marquee name and I'm actually inclined to agree.

I think against most teams PL will go for a solid 3 in midfield. In Westwood, Delph, KEA, Sylla, Bacuna, Gardner we have plenty of options there.

I reckon PL reckons if we can win the midfield battle and have the ball in the right areas then the top 3 will make chances against most teams. For the reason that they all have different and major "weapons" which create space for the others.

That plan only falls down against teams who sit really deep against us and try to get a lot of men behind the ball.

I think he will still be looking to bring in that AM/creative player for these occasions.

I don't think it will be anyone we've heard of because I don't think PL will want them to expect to start every game. More likely another young and hungry player in the mould in which we have already bought.

Found this on SSN:

Sky Sports understand that Blackburn Rovers have pulled out of a deal for Barry Bannan.

Rovers had agreed a deal with Aston Villa for the Scotland international midfielder.

However, the 23-year-old has seen the move fail to materialise as Rovers failed to agree terms with the player's representatives.

Gary Bowyer had hoped to have Bannan signed and sealed ahead of Saturday's opening game of the season, despite issues with the deal.

However, the move has now collapsed as Blackburn and Bowyer look elsewhere.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8849612/transfer-news-blackburn-pull-plug-on-barry-bannan-deal

I think Trent said a few pages back we wont get a Marquee name and I'm actually inclined to agree.

and id be happy with that and Lambo approach to transfer market. Have we ever really signed a "marquee" name anyway

So that KKfootball twitter account thinks we're looking in the eredivisie for an attacking midfielder

Tadic & Wijnaldum spring to mind.

Pinch of salt required. 

Could see it being true, but that account is full of it. Always plays it safe and goes along with little bits of rumours he reads without giving too much away.

If we are going bargain hunting maybe we could have a look at Taxiarchis Fountas.... was released by AEK, cracker of a shot and a talented kid.. 17 years old, can play CAM, RW and LW would be very cheap on wages and has good potential!

Edited by Mattyp_avfc

It isnt just Twitter, Wikipedia there is someone claiming to be ITK on footballrumours who says its done to.

Very likely to be same person starting it in each area.

For me it would be great if it happened but I will be filing it under Sneijder and Belhanda in my brain.

They just made him captain of which he is very proud so I don't see why they would do that if they intended to sell him.

I am hopeful we do get an AM but as I said before I think it will be a name Off the Radar of us mere part time football followers.

Full timers like you Andy should be able to predict the name with confidence ;)

You know what? I would have thought it was a little bit unrealistic but then again if you look at altidore, bony, leroy fer has left for this season, there is still a big chance. Imo, Leroy Fer is regarded as a bigger talent than wijnaldum is, if that makes him better is a whole other issue. Could very well happen. But gonna need something a little bit more concrete before you get me going.