New Music 2013

Xann

going to a small festival in july, can anyone recommend any of these -

Rachael Dadd & Ichi, Katy Rose & The Cavalry Parade, Co-Pilgrim, Danny George Wilson, Jason Serious, The Shapes, Siblings, Marvellous Medicine, Arrows of Love, Lillian Todd Jones, Candice Gordon, Ags Connolly, Beta Blocker & the Body Clock, Duchess, King of Cats, Von Braun, Jordan O'Shea, Traps, Truly Ford, Elephant Shampoo, Grudle Bay, Falls, Dallas Don't, Empty White Circles, Sam Green & the Midnight Heist, Pete Kosanovich, The Ramshackle Union Band, The Spare Room, Swindlestock, Dry The River, Gaz Coombes, The Joy Formidable, We Are The Ocean, Frankie And The Heartstrings, Treetop Flyers, Bo Ningen, nd So I Watch You From Afar, Patrick Wolf, Foy Vance, Alessi's Ark, Wild Swim, Public Service Broadcasting, Royal Republic, Milo Greene, Wounds, The History Of Apple Pie, Kimberly Anne, Pylo, Harbour, Rolo Tomassi, Lewis Watson, TOY, The Bots, The Computers, Wet Nuns, Planes, The Family Rain, Ady Suleiman, Brother & Bones, Arcane Roots, Fight Like Apes, Max Raptor, Tall Ships, Gunning For Tamar, Crash Of Rhinos, Stagecoach, Axes, The Social Club, Salvation Bill, and The Physics House Band, The Subways, Fonda 500, Thomas Truax, Luke Smith, Edible Five Foot Smiths, Le Emu Tavern, Society, Redlands Palomino Co, The Epstein, Dreaming Spires, Huck and The Yarns, Stevie Ray Latham, Case Hardin, Troubadour Rose, and Paul McLure.

i obviously know who gaz coombes is but ive been told he doesnt do any supergrass stuff

• Like 1

Rachael Dadd & Ichi, Katy Rose & The Cavalry Parade, Co-Pilgrim, Danny George Wilson, Jason Serious, The Shapes, Siblings, Marvellous Medicine, Arrows of Love, Lillian Todd Jones, Candice Gordon, Ags Connolly, Beta Blocker & the Body Clock, Duchess, King of Cats, Von Braun, Jordan O'Shea, Traps, Truly Ford, Elephant Shampoo, Grudle Bay, Falls, Dallas Don't, Empty White Circles, Sam Green & the Midnight Heist, Pete Kosanovich, The Ramshackle Union Band, The Spare Room, Swindlestock, Dry The River, Gaz Coombes, The Joy Formidable, We Are The Ocean, Frankie And The Heartstrings, Treetop Flyers, Bo Ningen, nd So I Watch You From Afar, Patrick Wolf, Foy Vance, Alessi's Ark, Wild Swim, Public Service Broadcasting, Royal Republic, Milo Greene, Wounds, The History Of Apple Pie, Kimberly Anne, Pylo, Harbour, Rolo Tomassi, Lewis Watson, TOY, The Bots, The Computers, Wet Nuns, Planes, The Family Rain, Ady Suleiman, Brother & Bones, Arcane Roots, Fight Like Apes, Max Raptor, Tall Ships, Gunning For Tamar, Crash Of Rhinos, Stagecoach, Axes, The Social Club, Salvation Bill, and The Physics House Band, The Subways, Fonda 500, Thomas Truax, Luke Smith, Edible Five Foot Smiths, Le Emu Tavern, Society, Redlands Palomino Co, The Epstein, Dreaming Spires, Huck and The Yarns, Stevie Ray Latham, Case Hardin, Troubadour Rose, and Paul McLure.

i obviously know who gaz coombes is but ive been told he doesnt do any supergrass stuff

Boards of Canada's new album streamed today, but I missed it :(.

Same. Interwebs died yesterday. A few walls got punched.

Well it leaked/came out so get on it (hint: it's absofukinlutely amazing).

Well if Gaz Coombes is actually Gaz Coombes and not just a random band name you should still be good with that one, regardless of any lack of Supergrass .

Public Service Broadcasting can put on a decent set, I suspect they'd have to be evening or indoor as they rely on old film a bit. Check out 'London Can Take It' by PSB for a flavour.

Rachael Dadd & Ichi, Katy Rose & The Cavalry Parade, Co-Pilgrim, Danny George Wilson, Jason Serious, The Shapes, Siblings, Marvellous Medicine, Arrows of Love, Lillian Todd Jones, Candice Gordon, Ags Connolly, Beta Blocker & the Body Clock, Duchess, King of Cats, Von Braun, Jordan O'Shea, Traps, Truly Ford, Elephant Shampoo, Grudle Bay, Falls, Dallas Don't, Empty White Circles, Sam Green & the Midnight Heist, Pete Kosanovich, The Ramshackle Union Band, The Spare Room, Swindlestock, Dry The River, Gaz Coombes, The Joy Formidable, We Are The Ocean, Frankie And The Heartstrings, Treetop Flyers, Bo Ningen, And So I Watch You From Afar, Patrick Wolf, Foy Vance, Alessi's Ark, Wild Swim, Public Service Broadcasting, Royal Republic, Milo Greene, Wounds, The History Of Apple Pie, Kimberly Anne, Pylo, Harbour, Rolo Tomassi, Lewis Watson, TOY, The Bots, The Computers, Wet Nuns, Planes, The Family Rain, Ady Suleiman, Brother & Bones, Arcane Roots, Fight Like Apes, Max Raptor, Tall Ships, Gunning For Tamar, Crash Of Rhinos, Stagecoach, Axes, The Social Club, Salvation Bill, and The Physics House Band, The Subways, Fonda 500, Thomas Truax, Luke Smith, Edible Five Foot Smiths, Le Emu Tavern, Society, Redlands Palomino Co, The Epstein, Dreaming Spires, Huck and The Yarns, Stevie Ray Latham, Case Hardin, Troubadour Rose, and Paul McLure.

Highlighted the bands that I'd be seeing using the following system:

=Bands I would absolutely make sure I saw

=Bands I would try and fit in

=Bands I would see if I had spare time left

The Physics House Band I've been banging on about a bit this year, went to see them in Winchester some weeks ago and will be going to see them again next month. They're absolutely brilliant live, play the jazzier end of the instrumental, electronic math-rock spectrum. Their debut record's pretty much my album of the year (and this is a year we're getting a new Boards Of Canada, that's how awesome TPHB are).

...And So I Watch You From Afar are post/math rock luminaries. They're latest album was a tangible shift in approach from the heavier riffs and slow builds of their early work to a more accessible sound. Live they're one of the most fun bands to watch, hanging their guitars off audience members and getting them to strum during noise parts.

Axes and Tall Ships are on my list of bands I have to go see. Axes released their debut earlier this year and play more straight-up math rock (Jon Bonjela), Tall Ships' debut full-length last year was one of the albums of 2012 (T=0), they play dancy, sweeping noise-rock.

Of the rest, The Subways I used to listen to a fair few years ago but haven't been keeping up with, The Joy Formidable I like but haven't been to see live, Rolo Tomassi I'd go just to see Eva Spence thrashing her body all over the shop (though I'd be bringing some earplugs), and I'm fairly new to Crash Of Rhinos and TOY.

Edited by GarethRDR

TOY's album from last year was fairly well received. Gave it a listen as iirc it had rated highly in Prog Archive's albums of the year 2012, which is a voting thing rather than **** muso journalism.

The description sounded very promising, the reality was less than inspiring.

Â