New Music 2013

Xann

I guess all the new songs i hear are only from mainstream music channels, or Capital/Galaxy & BRMB/Free radio station.

Both who only play current mainstream chart music.

Of that, what particular kind of stuff do you like?

actually, i don't seem to like that much of it, i find most of it too samey/poppy.   Which is why i was wondering how you all hear all this new music.

But of the current top 40 i love:

Naughty Boy - La La La

Imagine Dragons - Radioactive

Macklemore - Can't Hold Us

Disclosure ft Aluna George - White Noise

Rudimental - Waiting all Night

and my favourite overall artist is currently/still Rihanna.

Edited by ender4

Well I can't help so much with the hip-hop side of things, not my bag, however listening to those four I'd recommend checking out any of the following:

tUnE-yArDs

Battles

Ratatat

Flying Lotus

Alt-J

School Of Seven Bells

Sleigh Bells

TV On The Radio

UNKLE

You might like some of 'em, you might hate all of 'em, but you don't know if you don't try!

Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Nick Cave amongst others all get a mention on page 1.  I would therefore surmise that perhaps you are living in some form of sonic Faraday cage?  :D

I've vagually heard of Fleetwood Mac & David Bowie,

Oh my God. I'm not even 30 yet and I really didn't think I'd be seeing a sentance like that for 30 years.

I hoped I'd see it 30years ago

Well I can't help so much with the hip-hop side of things, not my bag, however listening to those four I'd recommend checking out any of the following:

tUnE-yArDs

Battles

Ratatat

Flying Lotus

Alt-J

School Of Seven Bells

Sleigh Bells

TV On The Radio

UNKLE

You might like some of 'em, you might hate all of 'em, but you don't know if you don't try!

i'll check them out over the weekend.

edit:

Alt-J - Breezeblocks - great tune and style of music, liked it a lot

Alt-J - Something good - ok-ish

Tune-yards - Bizness, Gangsta - ok-ish

Battles - Atlas - that was just too weird!

Ratatat - Loud Pipes - i was enjoying the tune until i realised that no singing was going to kick in, i don't think i can just listen to instrumental (well, i never have before). Its a decent tune for an instrumental, but can't bring myself to put it in my collection. 

Edited by ender4

I don't think you can just pick up and start with bands like alt-J and flying lotus like it's your everyday pop music. You need to acclimatize for a while. Listen to the whole album many times, let it sink in and you'll start noticing the underlying greatness of it. When you become used to the strangeness of it, regular pop-music just won't do it for you anymore. That's a good thing, but the drawback is that you'll want to be challenged with new sounds and be surprised rather than the routine of pop.

My memory is shoddy, but don't think this one has been mentioned before. It's not new, as it was released in 2011, but new to me a few months back anyway :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73UT8qaGlD0

• Like 1

My memory is shoddy, but don't think this one has been mentioned before. It's not new, as it was released in 2011, but new to me a few months back anyway :)

Do you might prefer this type of music then ? Actually a hip hop producer but this whole album is made in a more different style than your usual hip hop producer:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAxJZTTk0_w

• Like 1

Do you might prefer this type of music then ? Actually a hip hop producer but this whole album is made in a more different style than your usual hip hop producer:p

Cheers, I'm in to lots of different stuff, but I like listening to ambient for when I'm working. Listening to the album on the tube now. It's not bad at all.  I wouldn't compare it to Sun Glitters in style though.

Rudimental - Waiting all Night

great song IMO, i also really liked not giving in so picked up the album, nothing special, they've released the 3 best songs as singles

also those talking about alt-j - its a superb album, not only different from a fair bit out there but there is a great variety on the album IMO, took me ages to get in to taro which is probably my favourite song now, my only problem with it is the interludes which are pure filler and fitzpleasure which is probably the only song i dont like, not a clue why it was up for awards

not for the faint hearted or the traditional listeners :)

Why, what is it? Can't check as unable to access at work ;___;

Just deepish alternative hip hop, nothing too weird, just nothing mainstream :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAxJZTTk0_w

My music is not that style but the comment could fit me too :) This is a cool track too though! Relaxing

I don't think you can just pick up and start with bands like alt-J and flying lotus like it's your everyday pop music. You need to acclimatize for a while. Listen to the whole album many times, let it sink in and you'll start noticing the underlying greatness of it. 

The trouble with that is that i don't listen to albums, i don't have loyalty to specific bands/artists.  

I'll like a song, but that doesn't mean i will listen to anything else from them. i just move on to the next song i like by someone else. 

i don't think i've listened to a whole album in the last 10 years, and maybe only 5-6 albums ever.  

there's probably only a handful of singers that i've even liked more than 4 songs of theirs - Rihanna, Oasis, Michael Jackson, Madonna.

Listening to albums has nothing to do with loyalty. It's not like you force your way through the garbage to find something nice. It's about experiencing the music in context that the artists intended. If it's a pain for you to do it, then maybe it's not for you. I enjoy it a lot. I listen to music when I work. I've tried making my own mixes and selections. The problem with that is the I grow tired of the music in a way that does not happen when I listen to full albums.

I'm just thinking that you will probably not challenge your musical taste that way. My brothers are a bit like that. One has listened to the same music for the last 15-20 years, and the other will be annoyed by anything that is more alternative than the likes of Coldplay.

Have you heard the new Daft Punk album? It's a good example of an album that grows on you as you listen through it. *Get Lucky' is an instant hit, but aside from that it doesn't really have any one stand out song. However, I love the album.. I can't really pick out one song to show why. Just cheked my last.fm and I've gone through it ten times now.

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â