New Music 2013

Xann

• 2 weeks later...

Peace album and Race Horses are really floating my boat. Listened to that new rapper bloke and wasn't that impressed....er, Chance the Rapper I think it was. Palma Violets was okay but a bit samey after a while. Need to listen to Jagwar-Ma, everyone's raving on about them

300 pages of the old music thread and i had heard of maybe 10 of the tracks/artists/musicians.

10 pages of this thread, and not heard of anything in the whole thread.   Its like the thread is in Russian.

where do you all hear this music from initially?   Is there like a radio station / music channel which only plays obscure stuff that normal people haven't heard of?  

Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Nick Cave amongst others all get a mention on page 1.  I would therefore surmise that perhaps you are living in some form of sonic Faraday cage?  :D

Serious face though, all the various music threads in this forum are as great a resource as anything.  The number of bands, musical acts etc. I've gotten into off the back of VT must be into triple figures now.

• Like 2

where do you all hear this music from initially?   Is there like a radio station / music channel which only plays obscure stuff that normal people haven't heard of?  

I've got a sub with Rock-a-Rolla mag, wonderful resource for my taste in music. Although that's been only the last few years. Previous to that wouldve been Last.fm, I guess.

Last.fm is a godsend, though I'm increasingly finding bands linked together on there purely through geography rather than stylistic similarity which can be a bit frustrating.

Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Nick Cave amongst others all get a mention on page 1.  I would therefore surmise that perhaps you are living in some form of sonic Faraday cage?  :D

I've vagually heard of Fleetwood Mac & David Bowie, but they are probably from my dad's era? 60's/70's?

and Nick Cave did a decent song with Kylie years ago, so i've heard of him, but wasn't aware he had done any other music.  

I guess all the new songs i hear are only from mainstream music channels, or Capital/Galaxy & BRMB/Free radio station.

Both who only play current mainstream chart music - Rihanna, Jesse J, Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, etc to name a few.

I mean one the best songs of 2013 in my opinion - Naughty Boy La La La - and it doesn't get a mention in the music thread. I find that weird.

It'd be like the film thread totally ignoring the biggest 'blockbusters' like The Hobbit, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, etc.

Edited by ender4

Pitchfork Mag, Spotify and the 'What song' thread on here seem to cover most bases for me.

I can guarantee at least 5-10 new albums a week from those three sources alone.

I guess all the new songs i hear are only from mainstream music channels, or Capital/Galaxy & BRMB/Free radio station.

Both who only play current mainstream chart music.

Of that, what particular kind of stuff do you like?

I've vagually heard of Fleetwood Mac & David Bowie,

Oh my God. I'm not even 30 yet and I really didn't think I'd be seeing a sentance like that for 30 years.

• Like 1

Â