New Music 2013

Xann

Earlier this week, I was told I'd have to trundle into London to be chief note-taker/flying butt monkey for some meeting our director was having.  I hate travelling into London.  The meeting was an hour, FFS, take your own damn notes!  But I digress; my mood was turned when I found out that Pink Mist - one of me fave music-blog-type-thingys - was running a pop-up shop in Shoreditch for this week only.  This was great, as it's something I would have liked to go to anyway but by conspiring to sneak there after the meeting, I got my train ticket paid for and didn't have to suffer the trials and tribulations of London at the weekend (something I truly, truly detest).

So I get to the place, tiny little shop in Boxpark just by Shoreditch station, and I tell thee I were in hog's heaven.  All stuff from small record labels I love, packed to the rafters with bands I'd never heard of.  The two chaps working there (one from Pink Mist, one from Holy Roar records) knew their stuff and were obviously passionate about what they were doing, and after I'd stuffed my gills with 7 albums (and a few tees for good measure) they gave me a boatload of recommendations so I wound up grabbing another heap of music (one of the conversations literally went like - Me: "What are those DZ Deathrays like then?" Bloke: "Well, they're sort of like Death From Above or Pulled Apart By Horses..." Me: "SOLD.").  Wound up spending £75, and then they threw in some other samplers and albums that they thought I'd like gratis.  Can't remember the last time I had so much fun actually physically buying music, and it made me sorta sad.  HMV Basingstoke will just look all the more depressing next time I walk past it.

Anyways, long story short, I recommend a trip there if anyone's in the area.  Think the shop runs until Sunday, and they've got Brontide and a few other bands doing some acoustic sets tomorrow.  Imma go and get listenin' to my ill-gotten gains!

• Like 1

ARGHHHHHHHHHH!

I can't believe I've only just found out, a few days beforehand, that The Postal Service are on tour for the first time since 2003 and that they're in Manchester and London in the next week or two. Tickets are, understandably, sold out. I have missed a golden opportunity, one that likely won't come round again for a very long time, if ever :blush:

They'll primarily play most of 'Give Up' and some new material too.

Gutted is an understatement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new The National album is pretty good unsurprisingly, but still not as good as Boxer. Also unsurprisingly. Well worth a listen though.

Agreed. I haven't listened to it enough, but it seems a bit lackluster compared to Boxer and even High Violet. Still great though.

The new The National album is pretty good unsurprisingly, but still not as good as Boxer. Also unsurprisingly. Well worth a listen though.

Agreed. I haven't listened to it enough, but it seems a bit lackluster compared to Boxer and even High Violet. Still great though.

I've had it on loop for a bit, and it kind of just flows at a high level throughout. There's not quite the same stand out tracks as on the 2 previous - no fake empire, or Bloodbuzz ohio, but it's high quality all the same.

I've had it on loop for a bit, and it kind of just flows at a high level throughout. There's not quite the same stand out tracks as on the 2 previous - no fake empire, or Bloodbuzz ohio, but it's high quality all the same.

Thats exactly where I find myself with it. The National's best stuff for me is damn near sing along (which is part of why Boxer is such a good album for me, nearly every song has that element of being able to pick up the lyrics and run with it. It's nearly an album that could have had every song released as a single) and this album doesn't, at the mo for me, have the same distinct stand out tracks. The closest it gets for me now is I Should Live in Salt and This is the Last Time.

Hopefully a couple of songs give me the ear worm and the album will instantly step up a level for me.

Â