Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Man Utd manager.

PompeyVillan

I probably picked a bad example to start a thread about him, seems people empathise with him in this situation and I can kinda understand that, but there are so many incidences of him behaving as in an appalling way I don't sympathise with him. 

I agree.

Brilliant manager.

Utter tool.  Hypocritical.  Remember the season after he'd bought, was it van Nistelrooy and others for astonishing sums, had a go at Chelsea for "buying the title"?  Irony is lost on this man.  Continually plays stupid games either with England (Manyoo player withdrawn yet again; Fergie blasts unreasonable demands of national squad for calling up the, er, international players he's signed) or with the press (Fergie's brilliant mind games demoralise the opposition!  he calls them "really not very good"!  or says they're favourites (that's reverse psychology, you know!).  And then all the special pleading.  They surrounded the ref all game long, like 4 or 5 players!  (He said this last weekend).  This after his teams, led by the mouthy git Giggs, spend at least a quarter of their available oxygen each match bullying the ref.

God, it's tiresome.

While I agree Moyes would be the logical step I'd imagine it wouldn't take too much for the mutterings of the job being too big for him to start.  Not sure he has the pedigree or the ego to buy himself enough time to make a go of it.

Sometimes I admire him, others detest him, but you can't deny he is a total footballing genius. How many times has he rebuilt that team? I thought he'd retire after winning another CL but maybe this would be the right time to go, before City start consistently winning titles.

Didnt Mourinhio leave the dugout shake SAF hand and walk down the tunnell a few mins before FT at OT recently

A mark of respect for his future employers

I think it's well documented that Fergie and Mourinho always got on well personally.   There was never any shit talking between the two in the media like you saw with Fergie vs Wenger or Fergie vs Rafa.    It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ferguson had recommended Mourinho to the board at Old Trafford to be his successor.  I certainly can't see them taking a punt on a manager with no European pedigree like David Moyes. 

Didnt Mourinhio leave the dugout shake SAF hand and walk down the tunnell a few mins before FT at OT recently

I think it's well documented that Fergie and Mourinho always got on well personally.   There was never any shit talking between the two in the media like you saw with Fergie vs Wenger or Fergie vs Rafa.    It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ferguson had recommended Mourinho to the board at Old Trafford to be his successor.  I certainly can't see them taking a punt on a manager with no European pedigree like David Moyes. 

Agreed. Also I think that Mourinho has been quite clever... he's talked about one English club in particular that loves him, without actually mentioning Chelsea. We all presume he means Chelsea, but perhaps he's actually talking about Man Utd?

I think man u should sign the best players from any of the sides challenging in the top half this year. Say Bale from spurs for example. Buy him for £50 million and if it doesn't work out just stick him on the bench and let him rot. This would make utd stronger and another one of their rivals weaker. I now proclaim myself to be a football genius.

Edited by jimmygreaves

Agreed. Also I think that Mourinho has been quite clever... he's talked about one English club in particular that loves him, without actually mentioning Chelsea. We all presume he means Chelsea, but perhaps he's actually talking about Man Utd?

And that poor bastard Benitez has gone along with it. Chelsea fans will hate him more than they already do.

I see Ferguson handing over a letter with the name of the manager he highly rates, with hreat attributes and a passion for fluid, tidy dutch football.

• Like 2

I think man u should sign the best players from any of the sides challenging in the top half this year. Say Bale from spurs for example. Buy him for £50 million and if it doesn't work out just stick him on the bench and let him rot. This would make utd stronger and another one of their rivals weaker. I now proclaim myself to be a football genius.

Yes that's clearly how he achieved all that success.

• Like 1

Â