Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Man Utd manager.

PompeyVillan

If Ferguson has been the best manager in the world in recent history, how to you chose a replacement?

Almost anyone, bar a few, will be seen as a step down.

It would have been easier if Ferguson had been performing poorly recently, but he's won the league with weeks to go. Other than the Champions League failings, you'd say he's still been the best manager in England this year.

I'm really looking forward to seeing who they appoint, and how much he gets slaughtered when he's not following in Ferguson's successful footsteps!

Even MON made it to a league cup final, has Moyes ever made it to a final? 

FA cup

Ahh ok, fair play then..

Still doesnt really say much. Many a manager has made it to the FA Cup final. Hardly a stand out achievement when being considered for a big big job.

I dont get the love for him at all really. Good manager no doubt, but has he really done anything that say somebody like Allardyce hasnt. Allardyce has taken worse teams further imo in the past.

Cant argue with Moyes longevity really but it isnt really going anywhere and hasnt been for years. Tbh, seen as he qualified for top 4 early on, hes actually taking them backwards.

replacement to be named in the next 48 hours according to SSN...

not sure how true this stock exchange thing is, the rule that they cant hold back any information, this announcement was meant to be tomorrow but got brought forward when the telegraph leaked it

id like it to be klopp, said earlier i dont think moyes is good enough (although id like to see pep's bayern smash moyes' utd as my utd mate is convinced pep isnt good enough to take over at utd but moyes somehow is) i wouldnt mind jose as it would piss the chelsea fans off and i could quite happily carry on hating utd

First Thatcher dies, then Ferguson retires. Somewhere there is a Scouser with a lamp and one wish left

Drunken, fat, injured defender in a wheeley bin!

Moyes will get it. I'd imagine they'll value longevity and stability over short term success.

Mourinho is the better manager but tends not to stick around too long. The Glazers won't want someone who could bring them into the limelight.

Cup success is largely irrelevant these days (sadly). The FA cup is reduced to being a mere distraction for the likes of Wigan Athletic.

If Ferguson has been the best manager in the world in recent history, how to you chose a replacement?

Almost anyone, bar a few, will be seen as a step down.

This was always the problem. There is simply no way to follow him without a natural dip.

Â