The Randy Lerner thread

CI

that all works if you find a manager experienced at finding a manager who is expereinced in finding gems putting them together into a team and going forward. is that mcleish?

Dann

Johnson

Hart on loan

Fahey

also revitalised

Carr, Bowyer and Phillips who he got on frees

and still got them relegated. Twice.

Talk of Heskey getting a new deal...

Now an often injured player, in his 30s, on 60k a week and not a first choice in his position would seem a likely player to be released in the summer surely.

Just letting go of him, Beye and Carlos in the summer would shave around 6m off the wage bill.

Thing for me I fail to understand with the argument that goes "Randy let MON spend what he wanted on who he wanted, it was MON who spent all the money at whatever amount he wanted to" is that MON is not a stupid bloke, he wants success and I would presume he would have wanted it quickly and as easy as possible.

Why then did he not just go and do a man citeh?

To use an example from above

Mon - I'd like to sign Lionel Messi he will cost x amount, he's currently on 150k so to come here he wants a pay rise.

Randy - Ok, will he be first team, is this the man you want?

Mon - Yes and Yes

Randy - Ok then we'll get him

Surely that is how the conversation would have gone if MON had total control over what he spent?

Total control would negate the need for MON and Randy to discuss it at all...

MON - I'd like to sign Messi

Randy - OK Then.

MON - aren't you going to ask what his wages are, etc?

Randy - No, you're in total control...

:!:

Rubbish. I doubt MON even knows who Messi is :P

that all works if you find a manager experienced at finding a manager who is expereinced in finding gems putting them together into a team and going forward. is that mcleish?

Dann

Johnson

Hart on loan

Fahey

also revitalised

with one of smallest budgets in league even jose mourinho or fergie would struggle at sha. He also got them 9th and their 1st trophy in 50 years Eck not Mourinho ;)

Oh dear. It does get a bit tedious to keep having to post this but, as a historian by training, I feel this is a slght airbrushing of the facts, so here goes AGAIN
and still got them relegated. Twice. As well as getting them promoted on the bounce, to their highest ever position in the Premiership and a League Cup victory against Arsenal, thus providing their first ever appearance in a premier European Competition.

More accurate but probably not the sort of soundbite you were looking for?

may be boring but he did still get them relegated. you look aty them now and what do you see the current League Cup winners or a side playing in the Championship with all their 'stars' having jumped ship? Oh, and for their smallest budget nonsense theyw ere the 3rd highest net spenders over the past few seasons.

As you were saying, yes they had their highest finish in the top flight for 40 odd years (lets not give Prem only stats as that is crass), yes he took them top a Cup win, and despite all of that he still managed to get them relegated. Good effort. Now, in light of that why did you think Lerner took him on? Because of his proven track record? Or he knew he could get a manager on the cheap?

It shows a huge lack of ambition, a lack of forethought, and a lack of a plan whether business or football.

Not wishing to turn this into a thread about SHA, but I think you would have to understand a lot more about the utter chaos behind the scenes at St Andrews to know why they are in their current position.

I agree it's easier and more simplistic to blame it all on one man, a common characteristic on Villatalk.

Their position from winning the league Cup to relegation 2/3 months later has nothing to with off the field activities.

Indeed. I've rarely seen such a spectacular implosion in a club that led to their relegation. With about 4 games to go, they needed a point and couldn't manage it. Their performance against Fulham was one of the worst I've ever seen in the Premier League from any team ever.

I had a feeling they would get relegated when they won the League Cup. I have seen many teams mentally end there season there and then, including us after we beat Man Utd. Once you do that it is easy to get in a rut, but not so easy to get out. The players were too busy basking in their glory to see it coming until it was too late and they couldn't do anything about it. As I said, we did it after Man Utd, we were further up the table so had the buffer, we carried it into the next season which eventually saw Big Ron sacked.

Their position from winning the league Cup to relegation 2/3 months later has nothing to with off the field activities.

Indeed. I've rarely seen such a spectacular implosion in a club that led to their relegation. With about 4 games to go, they needed a point and couldn't manage it. Their performance against Fulham was one of the worst I've ever seen in the Premier League from any team ever.

A manager who leads a club to their best league finish in 51 years and then their first trophy in 47 years can't be all that bad

Dann

Johnson

Hart on loan

Fahey

also revitalised

Can't understand why Fahey is on that list. Bowyer was always a decent player, he just managed to stop him fighting with his teammates. Phillips had some decent cameos.

The rest are all parts of a defence. I wouldn't question Eck's ability to select and organise defenders - his playing experience in this area clearly contributes to a good understanding.

Where he is sorely lacking, for me, is in the front six. I have not seen any evidence to show that he understands how to pick a creative player or set up a front six.

A manager who leads a club to their best league finish in 51 years and then their first trophy in 47 years can't be all that bad

And to repeat the obvious, a manager that gets the same team relegated two seasons out of three can't be that good! He got them to 9th and had money to spend in the summer. You wouldn't expect that team to get relegated the following season.

Compared this to Hughes, who got a poor Blackburn side great finishes, before moving to Citeh and doing a good job, IMO, and then moving on to Fulham and getting them well placed. Sides no/little better than Birmingham. Where are his flirts with relegation? That's a decent manager!!

Â