The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I only have 1 question for Randy, and those who support him. I don't really see that any other matters a lot.

How much further forward are Villa in their quest for Trophies in the 5 plus years you have been in charge compared to the dying embers of a much criticised Ellis regime ?

I only have 1 question for Randy, and those who support him. I don't really see that any other matters a lot.

How much further forward are Villa in their quest for Trophies in the 5 plus years you have been in charge compared to the dying embers of a much criticised Ellis regime ?

Not really that much. I'd put that down to the money others have spent though. We had our time when we looked like we could potentially be a big challenger to top clubs in England first 2/3 under Randy but I think Man City moved the goalposts and if we finished 6th and spent £30 million, then clubs above us and around us can then go and spend £60 million. It's impossible.

We are though a helluva lot more stable now, which is a difference.

At the end of Ellis regime, we struggled within the league, the quality of players, we're talking £2-3 million players, we were like the Bolton of the league in terms of player quality.

Now, we may not be close to being successful but we have a squad full of good players, for example money spent Gabby, N'Zogbia, Bent, Petrov, Dunne, Given ...then Hutton, Warnock, Bannan, Clark, Cuellar, Collins, Albrighton, Heskey, Delph, Ireland ...

It's a small squad but I bet if you asked managers to swap their squads for ours ...the majority would accept.

We are currently competing 7th-10th in terms of quality of team and squad, although it isn't exactly exciting, it also isn't worrying IMO.

Not really that much. I'd put that down to the money others have spent though. We had our time when we looked like we could potentially be a big challenger to top clubs in England first 2/3 under Randy but I think Man City moved the goalposts and if we finished 6th and spent £30 million, then clubs above us and around us can then go and spend £60 million. It's impossible.

We are though a helluva lot more stable now, which is a difference.

At the end of Ellis regime, we struggled within the league, the quality of players, we're talking £2-3 million players, we were like the Bolton of the league in terms of player quality.

Now, we may not be close to being successful but we have a squad full of good players, for example money spent Gabby, N'Zogbia, Bent, Petrov, Dunne, Given ...then Hutton, Warnock, Bannan, Clark, Cuellar, Collins, Albrighton, Heskey, Delph, Ireland ...

It's a small squad but I bet if you asked managers to swap their squads for ours ...the majority would accept.

We are currently competing 7th-10th in terms of quality of team and squad, although it isn't exactly exciting, it also isn't worrying IMO.

I think the most worrying aspect is that throughout the eighties and nineties you could afford to 'slump' and still get back in the race.

If we arent careful we will be so far off the Top - 5 ? 6 ? 7 ? ,...we will never get back.

Of course Man City have spent, but they haven't left Spurs or Liverpool behind - yet - and more importantly Spurs and Liverpool are leaving us behind, as will Everton one of these days.

I just don't think there is any real evidence of Randy improving our world profile, our Midlands profile, our overall outlook, or anything. And these days he appears disinterested. Attendances are not dowm because of Man City, but because of fans disenchantment with Villa. We aren't saying we have to win all the time, but we are not - as you rightly say - even competing for anything more than 7th-10th.

And Randy is a wealthy man, and allegedly, a Villa fan, so in that context I don't even think his spending has been much to shout about - and a lot of that has been loans.

If he genuinely feels our level with him is what you say it is, he should come out and say so, and accept that he will get rid of HIS Club if a decent offer is out there.

I think the most worrying aspect is that throughout the eighties and nineties you could afford to 'slump' and still get back in the race.

If we arent careful we will be so far off the Top - 5 ? 6 ? 7 ? ,...we will never get back.

Of course Man City have spent, but they haven't left Spurs or Liverpool behind - yet - and more importantly Spurs and Liverpool are leaving us behind, as will Everton one of these days.

Liverpool have just spend what £70 million in the last about 10 months.

While you say Man City aren't leaving Spurs behind, well after a 1-5 demolition at home, I can't see Spurs being within 15-20 points of Man City this season.

Tottenham when Randy took over were already a top 5/6 team in the league and had good players, they then went and signed a lot of good players on top of that, obviously got Champions league spot which meant players didn't want to leave but as you saw this summer with Modric, soon Spurs will fall off the pack, maybe not as much as we did but they will start to lose their better players in the next 2-3 years IMO.

Liverpool have just spend what £70 million in the last about 10 months.

While you say Man City aren't leaving Spurs behind, well after a 1-5 demolition at home, I can't see Spurs being within 15-20 points of Man City this season.

Tottenham when Randy took over were already a top 5/6 team in the league and had good players, they then went and signed a lot of good players on top of that, obviously got Champions league spot which meant players didn't want to leave but as you saw this summer with Modric, soon Spurs will fall off the pack, maybe not as much as we did but they will start to lose their better players in the next 2-3 years IMO.

Tottenham were near the bottom of the League shortly after Randy joined - but I take your point they had had some investment prior which helped HR get them back up quickly. I am not sure they wil be 20 points off Man City, but if City win the league 20 points behind will be a good position.

If another 5 Clubs do a "Man City' will you be happy competing for 14th instead of 7th ?

What about another 5 after that ? Will you be happy competing for 19th ?

Do you think Randy is showing Leadership, Ambition, Drive, Determination ? Do you think he is working on ways to overtake Tottenham when they, as you put it, fall off the pace, or when Arsenal do, or anyone else ? Is he doing every last thing possible to make us a success ?

I know the answer is largely conjecture, but I know what it feels like.

I have no idea where Randy thinks he is taking the club now and I doubt whether he does.
Well what can he do? With the likes of City, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool spending what they are the best everyone else can hope for now is a Europa League spot or a domestic cup.

I have no idea where Randy thinks he is taking the club now and I doubt whether he does.
Well what can he do? With the likes of City, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool spending what they are the best everyone else can hope for now is a Europa League spot or a domestic cup.

So he employs a failed championship notoriously antifootball bluenose manager who no one wanted....

genius

just as well he was born with a silver spoon eh

So he employs a failed championship notoriously antifootball bluenose manager who no one wanted....

genius

just as well he was born with a silver spoon eh

Appointing McLeish didn't help, but that doesn't change the fact that we simply can't compete financially.

Finance, man. I'm getting a bit tired of hearing the worlds woes blamed on finance.

I do agree that we can't compete financially, but surely there is more to football that having a bit of dosh?

Bit depressing if not. What's the point then? Really...

As for Lerner, he's had the sense not to turn up and submit himself to the medieval punishment that is watching us play. The Spanish Inquisitors couldn't conjure a greater torture.

Not being able to compete with Man City doesn't excuse the dreadful decisions made by our board.

Still

Proud history ....

I never said it did, I was just pointing out that the reality is that we can't compete financially with the top clubs and thus, probably wont be able to compete with them on the field most of the time.

Not being able to compete with Man City doesn't excuse the dreadful decisions made by our board.

Still

Proud history ....

I never said it did, I was just pointing out that the reality is that we can't compete financially with the top clubs and thus, probably wont be able to compete with them on the field most of the time.

Fine but again so why employ an antifootball curmudgeon of a manager??

Heskey in **** midfield?

We cant win anything = fine

Lets have a bit of entertainment then FFS

Apart from the Wigan game its been a chore watching us.

Still

Proud history ....

Fine but again so why employ an antifootball curmudgeon of a manager??

Heskey in **** midfield?

We cant win anything = fine

Lets have a bit of entertainment then FFS

Apart from the Wigan game its been a chore watching us.

Sounds like maybe you want us to be a bit like Wigan and lose every game entertainingly?

I don't know why they appointed him. Even today I think it was a pretty dumb decision but at the same time McLeish hasn't done a great deal wrong. Let's see how the season goes.

Well he didnt help himself in his team selection today.

Result wise he has done alright - was always expecting a beating today but 'meh' would sum us up.

I don't know why they appointed him. Even today I think it was a pretty dumb decision but at the same time McLeish hasn't done a great deal wrong. Let's see how the season goes.

Well he didnt help himself in his team selection today.

Result wise he has done alright - was always expecting a beating today but 'meh' would sum us up.

I'm not going to judge him, or any manager for that fact, on the result of a City away game. We always lose to them and City are now unfortunately miles and miles ahead of everybody but Chelsea and Man U.

Â