The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Why is Randy the primary target for criticism over the amount of money we wasted on poor/mediocre players? Managers are the ones who sign the players. Randy is still to blame to some extent however. That said, if he didn't let MON spend the ridiculous money that he did he would've been accused of not backing the manager. It's a catch-22.

Agree with Baz there, we simply don't have the same pull Spurs do. And although it's all rosy for Levy right now, when Redknapp leaves for England (or sacked should it get bad) do you think he'll make the right call? I remember a load of Spurs fans were angry at Jol's sacking, their rendition of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall "All in all you're just another prick on the board". In fact apart from the last two years, my Spurs supporting mate has been overall unhappy with Levy.

Whilst Randy has made a lot of mistakes and what, I've noted he's been largely uncriticsed in his tenure, save the last 18 months. In which he has botched a few decisions, but has also been squarely to blame for a lot according to most... appointing Paul Faulkner maybe being one of his worst decisions.

Either way he can't win.

He could win, if he wasn't such a truly hopeless businessman. However, having inherited all of his money, it's clear that the Villa has been nothing more than an expense plaything, completely devoid of any attempt to run it like a proper business.

Why is Randy the primary target for criticism over the amount of money we wasted on poor/mediocre players? Managers are the ones who sign the players. Randy is still to blame to some extent however. That said, if he didn't let MON spend the ridiculous money that he did he would've been accused of not backing the manager. It's a catch-22.

Agreed. Since when were onwers and financers ever supposed to know anything about the playing side of football? That's the managers job and that's where the blame has to fall. Why the **** should Randy know that Sidwell was a sack of shite and that Marlon Harewood was never going to be a great partner for Agbonlahor, O'Neill should have seen it because it's his job to judge these things and how much these players are worth to the football club. Why would you want an owner that doesn't trust his managers judgement? What if he had said "no Martin, Ashley is an unproven 21 year old and £9.5m is too much"?

You could maybe argue then that O'Neill wasn't the right man for the job subsequently, and that is Lerner's fault. But then again, if you think the fees and wages were all Randy's fault, you're probably one of those who say that it was Doug that hired O'Neill and Randy doesn't deserve the credit, anyway.

why doesn't Randy just manage Villa? he should know about tactics, training, player abilities, etc. i mean, he does OWN the business doesn't he? he should know all these things! what? he doesn't have a UEFA pro license? GET THE **** OUT MY CLUB YOU DISGRACE

Why should owners know anything about the business they've spend tens of millions on?! **** me, that's quite possibly the most inane question yet.
What does Levy know, he appointed Ramos, Graham, Hoddle, Pleat and Santini.

To be fair he thought he was getting Santini but they switched in Tackleberry from Police Academy.

Why should owners know anything about the business they've spend tens of millions on?! **** me, that's quite possibly the most inane question yet.

Is that League Cup winning Ramos?

If he was good, why did the brilliant Levy sack him?

why doesn't Randy just manage Villa? he should know about tactics, training, player abilities, etc. i mean, he does OWN the business doesn't he? he should know all these things! what? he doesn't have a UEFA pro license? GET THE **** OUT MY CLUB YOU DISGRACE

Nobody would expect him to go on scouting missions himself. I would however, expect him to know what players we can and can't afford, and also the wisdom or otherwise in sanctioning three year contracts on £40K a week for the likes of Habib Beye, a 31 year old. There are also people who have spent the last 25 years in solitary confinement in Siberian gulags who could have told Lerner that Harewood possibly wasn't the best use of £10m.

Check mate! :winkold:

I'm not saying he was good, but he was still a cup winning manager, which is something the saintly O'Neill never managed with us. So yes, Ramos was a mistake, a mistake they quickly rectified, and even that mistake won some silverware.

I'm not saying he was good, but he was still a cup winning manager, which is something the saintly O'Neill never managed with us. So yes, Ramos was a mistake, a mistake they quickly rectified, and even that mistake won some silverware.

And the other crap appointments he went through...

Well, he appointed Jol and Redknapp who between them have finished 5th several times and 4th, which is something that Lerner and O'Neill never managed. You can witter on about the fact that Spurs finished 14th 8 years ago, but I expect their fans are more interested in the fact that they not only qualified for the Champions League, but also had a really good run in it. In any case, I'm not saying that Levy is perfect, and he isn't the owner anyway, so really, comparing him to Lerner is a bit futile. Faulkner is really the equivalent at Villa, and since he became CEO everything has turned to ratshit. But I firmly believe that Spurs are a much better run club than Villa, and have been for a few years now. Harping back to Glen Hoddle doesn't alter that fact.

Who has a better chairman? I asked. Spurs was you're suggestion. Levy appointed Redknapp as far as I am aware, and he is IMO the biggest factor in their doing well at the moment. But Levy has made all the same mistakes Lerner is getting criticised by you and others for.

I'm not convinced by your argument, I'm not convinced Randy is as bad as is being made out. If Levy has come good, it's after years of hit and miss decisions. He hasn't excelled, I think they're going through a purple patch. I think going by Levy's overall record, if he were Villa chairman, he wouldn't be any better than Randy.

Who has a better chairman? I asked. Spurs was you're suggestion. Levy appointed Redknapp as far as I am aware, and he is IMO the biggest factor in their doing well at the moment. But Levy has made all the same mistakes Lerner is getting criticised by you and others for.

I'm not convinced by your argument, I'm not convinced Randy is as bad as is being made out. If Levy has come good, it's after years of hit and miss decisions. He hasn't excelled, I think they're going through a purple patch. I think going by Levy's overall record, if he were Villa chairman, he wouldn't be any better than Randy.

You asked two questions actually, and I was answering the one about "the template we should follow". I didn't mention Levy at all until you did. And I am firmly convinced that Lerner IS as bad as is being made out, seriously, the man hasn't a clue how to run a football club. He appointed somebody in Faulkner who was a glorified customer service manager at MBNA, promoted him way beyond his actual ability, and since then hardly anything has gone right. He lost control of the finances completely, which in business is the mark of somebody who doesn't know what they're doing, and hasn't appointed the right team to run things. And as we can see in the economy as a whole, losing control of spending and then savagely cutting back on expenditure isn't the recipe for a successful and happy few years.

Very well put. :lol:

It is not Randy's job to look at players and decide which ones are worth buying. The chairman is not a DOF. The task of looking for and buying players falls into the hands of the manager.

People are saying "Randy should've known better than to spend all that money on Harewood". That's all well and good but the problem here is that if Randy did know better and had said no, MON would have probably stormed out and Randy would be blamed for not backing his manager. He simply cannot win. People will do anything to avoid putting any of the blame on St Martin.

Â