The Randy Lerner thread

CI

McLeish didnt spend his £18m wisely in the summer.Plus his choice of the injury prone Jenas as a loan signing was a joke.

He made 4 poor signings IMO. i dread to think what he would do with a war chest

4 poor signings?

If it wasn't for Given & Keane, we'd be mathematically relegated by now. N'Zogbia was most peoples' favoured choice for Young/ Downing replacement. Hutton has been poor and Jenas was ridiculous.

Which of these 5 were the poor signings?

Given - I don't hink he's very good, and giving a keeper his age such a long contract was another ridiculous bit of business.

N'Zogbia - He's a 1 good game in 6 player, and hasn't looked like being worth anything like £10m

Hutton - a talentless thug

Jenas - an expensive waste of time

I agree except for your point about Given.

I don't think he's been outstanding, or particularly great. But he's not been a problem area, which is about as good as it gets this year with regards to the team.

A lot of how you defend corners comes from your keeper. We were one of the best at defending them under Friedel. We are now quite spectacularly the worst. Given stays on his line with his gob shut. It might be hard to pin-point Given directly on any given corner, but over a season I'm afraid he has to be the reason. So he is a significant part of why we are where we are.

A lot of how you defend corners comes from your keeper. We were one of the best at defending them under Friedel. We are now quite spectacularly the worst. Given stays on his line with his gob shut. It might be hard to pin-point Given directly on any given corner, but over a season I'm afraid he has to be the reason. So he is a significant part of why we are where we are.

You're right, but we were awful defending them with Friedel last season as well.

You're right, but we were awful defending them with Friedel last season as well.

This

BOF you are normally a man of sense but we were garbage at corner last season too.

Sorry Bof, have to diasgree. As others have said, we were shti at them last season too.

Given does stay on his line, which can't elp. But as I've said before, as long as he's consistent, which he is, it doesn't make THAt much difference. Again, it's not ideal, but if your keeper doesn't come and claim a cross that's 12 yards out it might cause a goal once or twice a season, nothing more.

it's not like he's coming to claim and dropping everything.

Oh, and he doesn't keep his mouth shut. I know this because he has a hilariously high pitched shout when he opens it, so I now listen out for it every game.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not saying Given is particularly good at corners, or that he's contributed (in this area specifically) to the team being anywhere near effective. Just that I don't think it's right to see him as a big reason as to why we're crap at defending them.

The question has to be why if money is so tight sign a 35 year old keeper on a 5 year deal on 65k a week.I think it was worth playing Guzan and spending the money stoping the play getting near the keeper !!

If Lerner doesn't spend big this summer then it's a disgrace.

Have a sensible wage structure but we need to sign players not just look for bosmans or loan signings.

**** the FFP rules, Europe is not a concern to us. We need a squad that will stay clear of relegation.

Unfortunately to me it's clear this prick doesn't give a shit anymore and we will do the bare minimum to survive.

We've lost some big earners and we will lose some more in the summer. We've been told we have good deals for our kit and sponsorship so no excuses to act like a **** newly promoted team.

Even under doug when we spent no money we at least knew he wouldn't hire or keep a manager as bad as Mcleish.

Now under this word removed. We have the doug ambition with the Lerner decision making. A **** footballing disaster.

If we go down there will be no problems about paying big wages as I would hazard a guess PF hadn't the foresight to realise what was happening and having a wage reduction clause in their contracts in this event. As a result Given, Bent will be sold to keep wages down to recover the £30m minimum we will lose by going down. **** mess!

Right now everyone connected with Villa is hurting badly.

A win was in sight last night against Bolton after a strong start and the tenacity the team displayed, although ultimately we weren't able to hold on for the points.

We very openly acknowledge the frustrations of Villa fans and share in them completely.

What matters to us and the Board at this moment is how we, as a Club, handle adversity and the pressure it brings.

Our horizon is the next three games and we continue to be in control of our own destiny.

Young players side-by-side with more senior players are fighting hard for the Club.

They are now preparing for West Brom followed by Spurs and Norwich.

We will continue to support and rely on our manager and the squad and therefore give them our full support.

We are totally conscious, as is everyone at the Club, that this is a very trying time for those who love Aston Villa.

We know that the team will continue to fight through every minute of the remaining games and we hope Villa fans will continue to show their great support.

Official statement from the club.

Better than nothing.

We called them out, they don't usually speak and they have spoken (albeit very little) - 99% of us knew he'd be with us until the end of the season at least, let's support the club and then on the last day do whatever you need to do in order to vent your anger etc.

I reckon 1 win will be enough - Don't know if we'll see it though! lol

Â