The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Former Aston Villa player and manager Brian Little is to be part of a boardroom shake-up at Villa Park.

The 62-year-old Villa legend has been lined up to join the board, along with former Manchester City chairman David Bernstein, reports BBC WM.

They are to become the latest boardroom appointments by chairman Steve Hollis, who brought in Lord Mervyn King in February.

The Premier League's bottom club have yet to confirm the appointments.

But it is understood that confirmation will arrive in the coming days.

The moves mark a step towards a more football-orientated board, following on from the appointment of Lord King, the former governor of the Bank of England and a Villa supporter.

He was the first to be brought in by Birmingham businessman Hollis.

Little was a player for a decade at Villa Park, winning one cap for England before injuries wrecked his career.

He then made a successful return to the club as manager between 1994 and 1998, leading them to the League Cup and twice achieving top-five finishes for the club, who have been part of the Premier League since it was formed in 1992.

Bernstein, 72, became chairman of the FA in 2011, a role he has also filled for Wembley Stadium Limited since 2008.

Villa are currently bottom of the Premier League, eights points clear of safety, ahead of Sunday's home date with Tottenham Hotspur.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35787470

• Like 4

On 3/9/2016 at 16:44, Spoony said:

If he's bored of football and doesn't want to invest, fine, whatever. But I don't understand how any man could stand being so universally hated? Does it not bother him? I'd be perpetually miserable if I knew the things people were saying about me (including the very personal (and I should say totally unjustified) insults and threats to him and his family).

I just don't know why he hasn't been desperate to jump ship sooner. He must be losing money from this regardless so why not cut his losses and sell to just anyone? It'll be a drop in the ocean at this point and he wouldn't be making any great loss in real terms. In his position I wouldn't care about who I sell to, I'd sell to literally anyone who offered at this point.

He is very rich. The people who hate him are comparatively very poor. QED

See financial crisis and subsequent bail outs etc. for supporting material.

• Like 1

Great news, just hope all the changes at board level eventually lead to changes in player recruitment and manager appointment policies also.

It does also make you wonder what Lerner is thinking/planning long term or even short term.

Edited by VillanousOne

The statement on the OS tonight is the most clear, straight-forward communication we have had for many years. No bizarre references. No fluff. Just 'This is what we are doing' and 'This is why we are doing it'.

Refreshing.

• Like 3

Can't help being a cynic about this and wonder if it will actually change anything.

Nice to have Little back, and Bernstein seem a popular appointment as well.

But will they be allowed to do anything or is it this years ploy to get the fans on board to sell season tickets and stop protests?

Most of us agree the club is rotten to the core, and wholesale changes are needed on every level. Hopefully this is a good step in this direction, although way, way too late.

Sadly all this does for me is cementing that we won't be sold by Lerner anytime soon, and as long as he is here we are screwed.

• Like 1

Has anybody got accurate figures on how much Randy Lerner has invested in Aston Villa? Purchase price, loans etc If yes what does it represent in $$$$ 

£62m purchase price

£252m losses to date

minus the £80m loans owed to him.

So £234 million to the end of last season.

Truly a remarkable achievement. 

Imagine buying anything, then making wrong decisions again and again to the tune of over a quarter of Billion £'s.

I bet Mr A. N. Other could not do the same with an obsolute plan and intent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Actually, let me rephrase that.

Currently he has spent £314 million, but is hoping that one day Villa will be in a position to pay back the £80 mill.

He wants his £80m loan back plus what he paid for it which is about the £150m he wants for the club.

Ain't gonna happen Randy. Just sell it for £80m and learn your lesson. Stay away from sport!

Could it be that Lerner is in fact some species of vampire who feeds on the suffering fans?

Moving from franchise to franchise, it sustains him.

Or is his name Randolph Damien Lerner?

Is the £60 odd million that he spent buying out individual shareholders included in the £252 million?

It's definitely not included in the £252million of losses to date.

But I can't remember if it's included as part of the £62 mill purchase price. From memory, wasnt the £62 mill the total purchase price for all 100% of shares. I think it was, but can't be sure.

• Like 1

The unexpected happens in football. I have been following Bristol Rovers since their stadium sale to sainsburys threatend to build a mini roundabout in front of my house, and 3 years later after they dropped to the conference and came back up they have a new owner with money who wants to get them going somewhere. They are ecstatic as we were after Randy's arrival - but I do feel like our next good moment isn't far away and it may not involve randy selling. Just a hunch based on how much badness we have had to witness. It's black 17 times then bet on red!

Â