The Randy Lerner thread

CI

The worstthing about Lerner, for me, and what puts him in a Class of his own, is his supreme fickleness.

Ellis was what he was, from Day 1 to the End.  Many, many faults, but none were any different in his last year than they'd been in his 1st.

Lerner promised much, and for a while, appeared to mean it.

Then, when things didn't go how he wanted, he threw this Club in his waste paper basket, and it isn't too dramatic to say that we may never recover.

I wonder whether old deadly still thinks he was a good choice ?

• Like 1

Is there such thing as a Vote of No Confidence available? Not just for Lerner but the whole board?

What power does the 'fanbase' hold?

The club have failed the fans - simple as that. And the current incumbent has run this club into the ground, making what was once a fine, traditional and potentially money-spinning club into an amatuerish parody of how not to run a football business.

I cannot see a way of Lerner making ammends to the mess he and his hired yes-men have created.

Steve Hollis has been bought in to oversee the day-to-day business but it's already clear his mandate is to cut costs even more and cease spending. It wouldn't surprise me if his sole mission is to asset-strip the club to an extent where Randy can make up a considerate proportion of the £150m asking price and then selling it on to any Joe Schmo for a 'knock-down price'. (Knowing our luck we'll be sold to The Latif Brothers and sponsored by Big Johns)

Sadly I don't know the answer and feel we're waiting for a rich knight in shining armour to buy the club - the problem being, the club is in such a shambolic state (although the mosaic is nice) that no one in their right mind would buy us.

I understand the thinking behind boycotting matches, to hit the club financially but this has more of a negative effect on the team (who we try and get behind) and Lerner wouldn't hear/notice it from across the pond.

Edited by theboyangel

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Is there such thing as a Vote of No Confidence available? Not just for Lerner but the whole board?

What power does the 'fanbase' hold?

From a legal point of view not much as we are stakeholders not shareholders. 

14 hours ago, terrytini said:

The worstthing about Lerner, for me, and what puts him in a Class of his own, is his supreme fickleness.

Ellis was what he was, from Day 1 to the End.  Many, many faults, but none were any different in his last year than they'd been in his 1st.

Lerner promised much, and for a while, appeared to mean it.

Then, when things didn't go how he wanted, he threw this Club in his waste paper basket, and it isn't too dramatic to say that we may never recover.

I wonder whether old deadly still thinks he was a good choice ?

I often wonder why Lerner bought us in the the first place. He no longer had a business to promote via the PL marketing machine, so why own a football club?

Maybe he thought he could get a significant ROI, but then why gift the shirt sponsorship away? 

Doesn't seem to like the limelight, so he didn't but it for attention. When we were up there challenging for top 4, the investment from Man City moved the goalposts for sure, but why not cash out at that point? If he lost his bottle, why bother going through all the cut backs when we were a club that finished 6th many years on the trot, followed by 9th. We were a desirable purchase back then.

Disastrous decision after disastrous decision.  

Agree with that. It really is a puzzle. My guess is he has/had a little ' benefactor' side go him, hence his art donation stuff, acorns, us, etc. If he did, its long gone.

My worry is that there is one, and only one, way to guarantee that a business won't make any losses, and I think making no losses is his only interest now. I really think it could get that bad, and for those who scoff, its happened before.

It's an interesting question actually. Why did Lerner buy us? A little vanity project/ego boost is the most likely reason. He didn't like his reputation as having inherited a sports franchise and running it into the ground, and he wanted to prove he could make it on his own. He also probably liked the idea of becoming a celebrity for dyed in the wool fans in England. You would have to have a pretty small penis though to need that sort of validation. 

And there's also the possibility that he thought he could turn the club into a successful profit making business. It's a fallacy that there isn't money to be made in buying a football club. Arsenal and Man Utd are examples of this, and if you consider that Lerner bought a PL club right at the cusp of the really big money coming into football, it did look like a pretty sound investment if he played it right. Unfortunately he didn't. He got complacent. Martin O'Neill has a football head, but no business head, and yet Randy probably found him so charismatic that he didn't think he needed to seek another opinion on anything to do with Aston Villa. There was probably a lot of popping champagne during the early years, while a club like Arsenal would have been moving on to its next goals, rather than celebrating the ones just past. 

I get the impression that there was a hangover after every success, rather than having an eye on the next goal, and then when it was time to look about achieving the next goal, the previous one had been undone by inaction and complacency. Either way, football is a slow and steady process of continual improvement, not the nuclear option Randy went for without the real billions to back it up, and now we're dealing with the fallout. Festina Lente. We should sign Festina Lente. Good quick mobile young striker

• Like 1

How much is Aston Villa realistically worth if relegated?  He can shove his £150-200m valuation up his arse.

According to the attached graphic seemingly stolen from Statistica (http://www.statista.com/statistics/234493/football-clubs-in-europe-by-brand-value/) the club was valued at $155m in 2015.  Not sure when in 2015, but given the fluctuation of the currency exchange rate I'd estimate that to be £100m.

2015%20valuations_zps8qqhwijn.png

Now reduce that by relegation, by an unknown factor (although that factor has to consider the award for staying in the Premier League is £99m, compared to a relegation parachute payment of £16m, and the club becomes worth a mere fraction of his evaluation.

The stadium is not worth what it cost to build, it's not a saleable asset as there is no natural successor customer for it.  The land wouldn't be worth that much, given the amount of bulldozed industrial sites that have not been developed.  The playing staff would not fetch much in a fire sale.  Especially given our record for throwing players out the door for next to nothing (Cahill, Davis, Myhill, Sturridge).

Randy Lerner, like Donald Trump, is not a self made billionaire.  He's a billionaire through inheritance.  Neither are astute businessmen, they're merely men of good fortune that have failed to build on their ancestors' business acumen.

I can only hope that there is a local businessman who is a die hard Villa fan, who is genuinely interested in the prosperity of Aston Villa.  We are not going to get an owner like the Sheiks or an Oligarch as far as I can see, we're not even a prospect to them.

Randy needs to get real with his valuation and get the **** out of this great club.

Edited by MMFy
attach image
  • Like 3

Imagine buying a car, say a 12-month old ex-lease Ford Mondeo.  You get a relative bargain at £12k.  Then imagine driving that car for 10 years, not servicing it correctly, and running up more than average mileage.  Ten years on, you're trying to sell the car.  It's got high mileage, it's rattling and there's spots of rust on the arches.  Not to mention the dents, and the token rape tape holding the back bumper together.  Yep, it's got to be worth £12k.  By Randy's logic.

• Like 1

Randy will be lucky to get £50 million for this club. Dropping down a division is going to hit him hard but what will he do? Will he drop his asking price or wait until the club ends up in administration because the club can't self sustain ( and im sure the rules Championship and lower are strict on that)

1 minute ago, calcifer said:

Randy will be lucky to get £50 million for this club. Dropping down a division is going to hit him hard but what will he do? Will he drop his asking price or wait until the club ends up in administration because the club can't self sustain ( and im sure the rules Championship and lower are strict on that)

Meanwhile he'll sell off bits and pieces, pocket the money and ride off into the sunset to the nearest tattoo removal surgery.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

This is the guy who deserves criticism if don't make any signings not Hollis.

Maybe true but it seems Hollis is the grim reaper in our clubs future.. Lerner has been a terrible owner but instead of cutting his losses and selling us at a loss he seems he'd rather just get Hollis to pick apart the club until it barely exists any more.. 

• Like 1

'You rather make my point for me'. Its not as if Lerner has told Hollis we have thirty million to spend and Hollis has turned around and told him that that's not the answer. Hollis is saying that spending money is not the answer because he's been told by Lerner that there isn't any, and he (Hollis) is trying to put a positive spin on it. Hollis now also has the added function of deflecting some of the attention away from Randy.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

'You rather make my point for me'. Its not as if Lerner has told Hollis we have thirty million to spend and Hollis has turned around and told him that that's not the answer. Hollis is saying that spending money is not the answer because he's been told by Lerner that there isn't any, and he (Hollis) is trying to put a positive spin on it. Hollis now also has the added function of deflecting some of the attention away from Randy.

Don't defend Hollis please. He is here to prepare AVFC for relegation. To finally put the nail in our great club. He is but another yes man to Lerner, maybe, but he took the job, so he has to take the criticism. You cannot run a football club without spending serious amounts of money. If Hollis thinks you can and get respect for it, more fool him.

It's not Hollis's decision not to spend any money. And he's only saying that a football club can be run without series amounts of money, because he's just trying to put a positive spin on his instructions from Lerner, as I say if there was a decent amount of money to spend he would have come out with a different narrative. I'm not defending him or praising him.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I was ridiculed over  some of my posts.

So here's a "Big 'un" to upset the deluded.

1) we are going down bar a RG lead miracle.

2) RL has appointed SH to cut costs & asset strip to get his £200mill back and sell for £50mill

3) IF!!!!!!!!!!! We stay up, expect much of the same - 17th = success

4) If we go down (very possible) SH will re-valuate, cut costs & asset strip.

5) Cost cutting & Asset stripping will be SH's brief untill we are sold.

6) in the event of us going down and not being "Profitable" for RL to get monies back untill we are sold for the price he is prepared to take a "Hit" at. We will be downscaled further untill its possible.

Further relegations will only be a matter of time.

This is not doing a Leeds. Forest or Pompey. This is a whole new scale.

In future "Doing a Villa" will set a record no other PL club will ever be able to achieve.

31.01.2016 Grasshopper

• Like 3

Hollis admitted on the AVTV interview that he will not be actively asking Lerner to spend money on transfers. I feel sorry for Garde, players and the fans. Hollis is here for purposes other than the product on the pitch - the actually crux of our problems. :(

Crossyourfingerssh.jpg

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Â