The Randy Lerner thread

CI

6 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Hollis admitted on the AVTV interview that he will not be actively asking Lerner to spend money on transfers. I feel sorry for Garde, players and the fans. Hollis is here for purposes other than the product on the pitch - the actually crux of our problems. :(

Crossyourfingerssh.jpg

Doesn't shock me. He's here to cut.

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You think it's going to be worse than Portsmouth? And you're complaining about other people mocking your posts? Stop spouting ridiculous drivel and people will stop mocking it. 

It hasn't happened yet, it's his opinion... that doesn't make it 'drivel'.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

It's drivel because it's completely unrealistic. This idea that we'll somehow plummet through the leagues and end up in League 2 in 4 years time is just nonsense.

There's so much bed-wetting going on here.

4 minutes ago, DK82 said:

He's said, and let me quote again:

'This is not doing a Leeds, Forest or Pompey. This is a whole new scale.'

Portsmouth are in League Two. They have been in administration twice in the last ten years. Their ground has a reduced capacity of less than 19,000 seats. 

Yet we're not only going to do this badly, oh no! No, you stupid optimist, it'll be much worse! 'A whole new scale'! So that's presumably straight relegations into the Vanarama National League and then going straight out of existence? I'm not really seeing what else could 'a whole new scale' worse than Portsmouth?

It is drivel. You can choose to humour it if you like, but that doesn't make it less than drivel. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's drivel because it's completely unrealistic. This idea that we'll somehow plummet through the leagues and end up in League 2 in 4 years time is just nonsense.

There's so much bed-wetting going on here.

Its not as unrealistic as those on here that seem to think we will come straight back up. 

League 2 might be a bit of an overreaction, I agree with that. But given that the aggressive cost cutting that we have seen over the last 5yrs look set to continue, increase even, I think a further relegation is far more realistic than promotion. The very best we can hope for under this regime IMO,  is mid table championship nothingness. 

I think any bet-wetting is fully warranted to be honest. 

Edited by av1

Just now, av1 said:

Its not as unrealistic as those on here seem to think we will come straight back up. 

League 2 might be a bit of an overreaction, I agree with that. But given that the aggressive cost cutting that we have seen over the last 5yrs look set to continue, I think a further relegation is far more realistic than promotion. The very best we can hope for under this regime IMO,  is mid table championship nothingness. 

Even that's an overreaction. Nobody is saying it's a certainty that we'll come back up but the idea that the best we can hope for is mid-table in the Championship is absurd.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Its not as unrealistic as those on here seem to think we will come straight back up. 

League 2 might be a bit of an overreaction, I agree with that. But given that the aggressive cost cutting that we have seen over the last 5yrs look set to continue, I think a further relegation is far more realistic than promotion. The very best we can hope for under this regime IMO,  is mid table championship nothingness. 

Good job I was specifically responding to someone claiming it would be 'a whole new scale' worse than League 2 then. 

Hollis admitted on the AVTV interview that he will not be actively asking Lerner to spend money on transfers. I feel sorry for Garde, players and the fans. Hollis is here for purposes other than the product on the pitch - the actually crux of our problems. [emoji20]

Crossyourfingerssh.jpg

If thats the case fans should stop going now to the end of the season! There was the smallest chance we could pull ourselfs out of this but the board have given up. So how can we as fans do anything about it?

Stop going simple. Yesterday was a taster of fed up fans. Hit Lerner where it hurts.

Hollis is here to strip this club bare just so Randy can recoup what he inherited off daddy! Hollis does not fear relegation, well he should! TV money dries up and the clubs value will plummet!

23 other clubs will be fighting for promotion/survival what are the board of Aston Villa going to be doing? Nothing because they think the Championship is a walk in the park.

• Like 4

An overreaction? I really think some people are oblivious to the situation we face. 

Can I ask, what makes you think that I'm overreacting? And what gives you the confidence that we will not be stuck down in the mid to lower echelons of the Championship?

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

An overreaction? I really think some people are oblivious to the situation we face. 

Can I ask, what makes you think that I'm overreacting? And what gives you the confidence that we will not be stuck down in the mid to lower echelons of the Championship?

I'm sorry but just because some people are not going into hysterics and going on about how we're going to get relegated again next season doesn't make them "oblivious" to the situation.

I never said I think we will be challenging for promotion next season, just that it certainly can't be counted out like many are doing. I'd like to know what gives you the confidence that the best we can hope for is mid-table?

Personally I think people are overreacting to the lack of money being spent this January.

Edited by Mantis

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm sorry but some people not going into hysterics and going on about how we're going to get relegated again next season doesn't make them "oblivious" to the situation.

I never said I think we will be challenging for promotion next season, just that it certainly can't be counted out like many are doing. I'd like to know what gives you the confidence that the best we can hope for is mid-table?

Personally I think people are overreacting to the lack of money being spent this January.

Its not necessarily over reaction to not spending. Its the fact the board have given up on even trying to stay in this league, with the likes of Sunderland and Newcastle spending, an still fighting for survival, its close to embarrassing.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Its not necessarily over reaction to not spending. Its the fact the board have given up on even trying to stay in this league, with the likes of Sunderland and Newcastle spending, an still fighting for survival, its close to embarrassing.

Is it really that surprising though? We're totally cut adrift and even large amounts of spending probably wouldn't save us.

Doesn't mean we'll spend nothing in the summer though - that's a completely different ball game.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Is it really that surprising though? We're totally cut adrift and even large amounts of spending probably wouldn't save us.

Doesn't mean we'll spend nothing in the summer though - that's a completely different ball game.

Probably wouldn't save us, but you have to invest. Darren bent, whatever fans think of him and the deal, saved us that season, Austin could have done the same.

Its not cutting we want .....its a better ability in spending what we have.

After the 120mill spent under Mon's reign....probably 80M net spend depending how you want to represent the point.

6 years later

We learn nothing

The Benteke & Delph money has managed to raise very little effect on the team.

We go again.....

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Probably wouldn't save us, but you have to invest. Darren bent, whatever fans think of him and the deal, saved us that season, Austin could have done the same.

If it probably wouldn't save us then what's the point? Better to just wait until the summer where we can get better deals and won't have new players demoralised by relegation.

Completely different circumstances. When we got Bent we were about 10 points from 6th/7th and just about out of the relegation zone on GD - at the moment we're 10 points from safety. Austin is decent but I can't help but feel like he's a bit overrated on here. Austin alone would not have saved us.

Edited by Mantis

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean it's right, or anywhere near right. So fans have a right to respond with their opinion, in my opinion.

I think it was 'drivel' too but i respect your opinion, hope you respect mine

B)

Â