The Randy Lerner thread

CI

How the **** does he not have any money after selling the Browns? Did the money not go to him or something? 

I remember reading on the Aston Villa News and Views blog, that it went into the Lerner Family Trust Fund. Don't know if that's correct though.

Ok we struggle under Lerner. But Lambert was brought into do a job, he knew the constraints, but at this moment in time he is failing to even motivate the players he has brought. That or he has failed even more by wasting the little budget Lerner gave to him on complete dross. I more than believe its 60/40 that its a management problem

He was brought to do the job he's doing, survive on the cheap.

If lerner wanted more he'd sack him but he's not going to when Lambert is happy to work under this championship level constraints.

If that was the case we would have kept McLeish. He was brought in the take the team forward.

If what I imagine to be the case, that any mistake that has happened in the past he has not taken on the chin personally and that the club has ultimately had to pay the price then technically he has already walked away from the club, in terms of responsibility all he is doing is underwriting our day to day problems and creating a process to claw to money back to his personal stash.

its kinda like, having your cake and eating it.

We all know that we have had an horrendous mismanagement of our transfer activities over recent years and that some sort of austerity was necessary, irrespective of who was the owner....even sheiks and oligarchs won't have the piss taken out of them.

However, while the team is in this mess, you would think that a contingency plan that May include a temporary relaxing of the purse strings to give some support would be forthcoming.

This intransigence could well damage the club to a point of unnecessarily extending the austerity programme to longer than is necessary

surely someone at B6 is thinking on their feet.

Once things were identified as out of kilter, I think Randy has had reasonable cause to strip things back....but I'm starting to get a bit uneasy with all of this.

on the surface it seems to me, that Randy/Faulkner has been stuffed with duff players, with a depressed sell on value and high wages to find, Paul Lambert has had to endure restricted wages and Transfer fee's and the fans have had to endure low grade football and progression plan that has as much hope as a damp firework.

Lerner will make sure that any monies he is owed he will recover before he declares his true position, so his stock is kinda safe and sound.Paul Lambert will get paid handsomely if a termination decision is made against him, so he is tucked up in bed.

The only thing at risk is the club of which we have to live with and us( the fans).... even if the manager and the owner went tomorrow, which there is as much chance of world war 3 ....they are bomb proof from where I'm sitting.

The club will carry the legacy, so the new custodians will reel out the same blurg, pedal the same jam tomorrow bullshit, and hit you and me over the head with the same accountancy hammer as the present incumbents

bar the lack of rhetoric has anything changed from HDE's reign.

He had no money( relatively speaking) and this one has, but we are unlikely to ever get an owner to unconditionally spend his own money, ultimately the club will have to pay.....and judging by the decisions that are made, by people who seemingly have no personal redress.I don't see the bad decisions of the past turning in to good ones.

In short, we have no one with any money that can help us and seemingly no one with any Nous to manage our way out.

merry xmas

Absolutely spot on. Lerner will kill this club.

Ok we struggle under Lerner. But Lambert was brought into do a job, he knew the constraints, but at this moment in time he is failing to even motivate the players he has brought. That or he has failed even more by wasting the little budget Lerner gave to him on complete dross. I more than believe its 60/40 that its a management problem

If lerner wanted more he'd sack him but he's not going to when Lambert is happy to work under this championship level constraints.

If that was the case we would have kept McLeish. He was brought in the take the team forward.

I think he was brought in to do a better job than McLeish of surviving on the cheap. How can he expect the team to move forward when we now offer lower wages?

I think he was brought in to do a better job than McLeish of surviving on the cheap. How can he expect the team to move forward when we now offer lower wages?
I agree we are paying low wages for pretty average players if that's our policy we will end up in one place QPR I bet are playing higher wages in the championship to there summer buys

I agree we are paying low wages for pretty average players if that's our policy we will end up in one place QPR I bet are playing higher wages in the championship to there summer buys

But we were paying well over the odds in wages is the MON era. And anyway, I'm sure Palace's wage bill isn't as high as ours, and there was only one team that was organised and disciplined today. This is nothing to do with Randy who has given Lambert enough money to ensure we shouldn't be in this position. Lambert is responsible for this mess and frankly, I wouldn't trust him to spend £10-15m in January. He'd just sign more mediocre workhorses

Just want to throw something out there that many may have forgotten. Villa (Lambert?) gave new contracts (pay increases?), to Guzan, Clark, Baker (IIRC), Westwood, Weimann, Benteke and Lowton at the end of last season. So, my point is, it appears that extra funds for wages were given last close season.

I am sure that Palace team today wouldn't have been on the accumulative salaries that our team gets paid.

Wish I knew what his plans were

Most of us are worried that lerner himself doesn't know what the plans are.

Edited by av1

I really don't understand what he's getting out of the club? Surely he's preparing it for a sale? Otherwise.... what's the point in owning it?

You're all assuming he knows the results of today's game - I am not even confident he is that interested. He has totally and utterly forgot about us. - thats probably why Lambert will keep his job - to much effort to fire him and begin another farcical manager search...

Edited by smetrov

It would be fairly futile dusting down the old paper £ signs and showing them at the match. Lerner is never at Villa Park these days and he can do what the hell he wants with us. He owns the club 100%. At least with Doug you had the AGM to shout abuse at the old duffer. Gosh I am getting quite nostalgic about the good old days when we could sometimes come 6th in the league.

Wish I knew what his plans were

Most of us are worried that lerner himself doesn't know what the plans are.

I guess it is to keep us in the premier league with minimum spend for the next 5 years or so and then sell up?

Given that we have been in relegation battles for the last few years, if he is gambling on not going down thats is poor business.

1. @HodgsonHoward Serious question, what do you think the chances are that Randy is setting us up for a sale? Surely we are now in position...

2. @jmhart1 Randy wants £250M for the club. That is what it owes him. Not many takers at that price. We are stuck with him

Â