Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

For a 22 year old lad who had never played above the French 2nd division until a few weeks ago given today was just his second start for us I think he did pretty well.

Overall from what we have seen of him so far I think he could be a very decent signing.

Delph will be back for the Liverpool game so its between Sylla and Bannan as to who will be dropped. Personally I'd start him alongside Delph and Westwood.

Edited by markavfc40

I'm surprised with his passing ability and composure, he doesn't rush his passes or try hollywood stuff when it isn't needed (hence his high pass percentage today.)

Decent two starts, hope he keeps it up.

I thought he looked pretty awful today.

Delph back in for him next game for me.

Awful? Really? You are a one for hyperbole. 

Was my first real look at him today aside from earlier cameos and I think he looks a talent. He's very energetic, has a nice range of passing on him and he's tough as old boots.

Made a couple of sloppy mistakes but he seems up with the pace the majority of the time and he clearly has raw talent. In fact, he reminded me very much of why I initially liked Delph so much. 

Nice find. 

• Like 1

For a 22 year old lad who had never played above the French 2nd division until a few weeks ago given today was just his second start for us I think he did pretty well.

Overall from what we have seen of him so far I think he could be a very decent signing.

Delph will be back for the Liverpool game so its between Sylla and Bannan as to who will be dropped. Personally I'd start him alongside Delph and Westwood.

For good or bad, I don't think Delph will be back. Lambert will probably stick with the team that's won the last two games, unless tactics really dictate otherwise. Most managers outside the top four would do that. It's a morale thing. Keep a winning side together. 

I'm not understanding the comparison between Delph and Bannan. They are very different players. Delph is more defensive, like Sylla. Delph does have an attacking surge in him, perhaps Sylla does too. So Delph is competing with Sylla for his place. Sylla has won the last two games so keeps the spot.

In terms of crossing and creative passing Bannan is considered better than Delph and Sylla, which is why Delph never takes the corners, and Sylla won't take the corners. N'Zogbia can take corners and cross the ball. He might come in for Bannan if Lambert decides to change the team to play counter-attack.

Edited by Con

I'm surprised with his passing ability and composure, he doesn't rush his passes or try hollywood stuff when it isn't needed (hence his high pass percentage today.)

Decent two starts, hope he keeps it up.

I agree with this. We have been better in keeping possession when he is on the pitch instead of N'Zogbia. I'm not saying N'Zogbia is a bad player, he can certainly contribute with vital runs and passes, but he does loose possession quite often.

They're two completely different players though. N'Zogbia is a far more attack-minded player. He likes to pick up the ball and run at defenders, and because of this (and his inconsistent form), he is more prone to losing the ball.

Sylla seems like a player that floats throughout the center of midfield breaking up play and/or distributing the ball from the defenders to the other midfielders to try to start attacks.

Different players for different situations although I can see why you're comparing the two (because Lambert has subbed one off for the other a couple of times).

I thought he looked pretty awful today.

Delph back in for him next game for me.

Awful? Really? You are a one for hyperbole. 

Was my first real look at him today aside from earlier cameos and I think he looks a talent. He's very energetic, has a nice range of passing on him and he's tough as old boots.

Made a couple of sloppy mistakes but he seems up with the pace the majority of the time and he clearly has raw talent. In fact, he reminded me very much of why I initially liked Delph so much. 

Nice find. 

I thought he looked poor.

Whenever he got the ball his first thought seemed to be to pass it backwards. There were times when he had space to turn and drive at the opposition but was either unaware or lacked the confidence to do so.

Considering the chances they had in the first half and how poor we were I don't think he added much to the team.

He's a young lad, he looks like he's got the physical attributes we need and did pretty well on his debut at reading. I just wasn't impressed with him yesterday. But considering where he's come from and the situation he's been thrown into I'm sure he's going to have games like yesterday.

With relegation still a worry I'd like to see Delph back in for when we face tougher opposition.

He did well yesterday, he's added a bit of 'bite' in the middle.

To be fair to him, QPR have just signed a load of massive munters, always a tough game when you got blokes twice the size of everyone else putting themselves about.

He'll develop into a good player, maybe not a world beater, but someone who will do a job and do it well.

Seems like Sylla is set to divide opinion extremely like many players before him.

So far I've only worked my way through about 30 minutes of the full match recording (thank you, Sky). Villa are 1-0 down, Sylla is looking clumsy and I have repeated my call for Bennett never to play for Villa again after his mistake led to QPR's goal. Judging by the comments here, things are set to change!

Will let you know my view of Sylla once the 96 minutes are up.

I thought he looked poor.

Whenever he got the ball his first thought seemed to be to pass it backwards. There were times when he had space to turn and drive at the opposition but was either unaware or lacked the confidence to do so.

Considering the chances they had in the first half and how poor we were I don't think he added much to the team.

He's a young lad, he looks like he's got the physical attributes we need and did pretty well on his debut at reading. I just wasn't impressed with him yesterday. But considering where he's come from and the situation he's been thrown into I'm sure he's going to have games like yesterday.

With relegation still a worry I'd like to see Delph back in for when we face tougher opposition.

I don't get your logic here - his job is to win the ball back and keep possession for the team, passing backwards is something he needs to do a lot in order to do this. 

He had a good game yesterday and is doing what he was brought here to do.

It's really nice having the option of using him. 

I thought he did well yesterday, but I think he held back a bit because even he probably realized that he was pretty close to getting a red if he wasn't careful. He kept the ball moving well, it really didn't matter if it were sideways or backward as it isn't really his job to drive the team forward.

I thought the lad had a good game. Was very neat and tidy but we lacked creativty with him on the pitch. I think for now he must just be nervous and he's doing the simple things and not risking making a mistake like Bennett did. I can see why he'd do that as every goal we concede is so crucial now. I imagine we will see a more expansive side to his game if/when we're safe. 

Edited by PieFacE

Â