Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I think the quality is there. We've seen bits and pieces of it.

The problem I think is that PL has drilled it into this team not to make mistakes. How many times have you seen that little dance where our defensive line passes it around between them and a midfielder before kicking it back to Guzan to hoof it up. I think after the frailties of last season, PL has really got it into their heads not to make mistakes. While that is commendable, it has come at the sacrifice of not pouring forward and risking passes. Our fullbacks stay back and are disciplined and don't go forward as much. Our midfielders barely get into the box. I've seen some of our players take up positions in the pocket, but our defenders and midfielders are reluctant to pass it to them in fear of mistakes. I think that's why you've seen so many Guzan to Benteke/Kozak combinations. The outfielders are deathly afraid of making a mistake.

Think of it. How many massive mistakes have we had in possession this year? I can think of KEA losing possession in our half during the Newcastle game, but that's really it. Amusingly enough, the thing everyone said PL couldn't do (organize a defensive unit) has happened but it's come at the cost of losing that forward style of play. The key going forward is finding the right balance between the two. I think then we'll see some of the more possession styles we saw towards the latter end of the season last year.

• Like 3

I think the quality is there. We've seen bits and pieces of it.

The problem I think is that PL has drilled it into this team not to make mistakes. How many times have you seen that little dance where our defensive line passes it around between them and a midfielder before kicking it back to Guzan to hoof it up. I think after the frailties of last season, PL has really got it into their heads not to make mistakes. While that is commendable, it has come at the sacrifice of not pouring forward and risking passes. Our fullbacks stay back and are disciplined and don't go forward as much. Our midfielders barely get into the box. I've seen some of our players take up positions in the pocket, but our defenders and midfielders are reluctant to pass it to them in fear of mistakes. I think that's why you've seen so many Guzan to Benteke/Kozak combinations. The outfielders are deathly afraid of making a mistake.

Think of it. How many massive mistakes have we had in possession this year? I can think of KEA losing possession in our half during the Newcastle game, but that's really it. Amusingly enough, the thing everyone said PL couldn't do (organize a defensive unit) has happened but it's come at the cost of losing that forward style of play. The key going forward is finding the right balance between the two. I think then we'll see some of the more possession styles we saw towards the latter end of the season last year.

Feasible.

Yep, good post Kwan. I think all of us felt we conceded too many last year, in fact some alluded to the fact that Lambert has never built a defensively sound team before. Again I see it as a sign of progress. It might be a bit dour at the moment but we're doing rather well in the league without a lot of our key players hitting their stride, if they do then we can really start to motor.

brilliant. always felt the club has never really appreciated the past as much, think some of the players from then would say the same. Its unbelievable the amount of non-villa fans that arent aware we won the European Cup

On the face of it that's a great gesture. But reading the below article, I just wonder how much of it from the players' perspective was politically-beneficial as they currently posture with their 'rival' FPA.

Aston Villa war of words: Mat Kendrick reveals bitter claret and blue bust-up

Aston Villa war of words: Mat Kendrick reveals bitter claret and blue bust-up

Former stars embroiled in unsavoury feud

Aston Villa's European Cup winning heroes have become embroiled in a bitter feud with the Aston Villa Former Players Association after forming a breakaway group.

Ken McNaught and many of the club’s 1982 idols set up the Lions & Legends Association last summer after leaving Aston Villa FPA.

But the split between the two groups of ex-claret and blue favourites has become so unsavoury in recent months that solicitors letters have been exchanged.

And the stars of the club’s finest moment in Rotterdam have demanded that their images and names be taken off all materials used to promote the Aston Villa FPA.

The fallout came to a head when a message from the Aston Villa FPA and the Aston Villa Old Stars football team was posted on their Facebook page, accusing somebody allegedly involved with the Lions & Legends Association of trying to smear their reputation.

It prompted a response from the Lions & Legends Association, written by former Villa defender Steve Staunton and posted on fans’ site Vital Villa, defending the newly-formed group.

Along with McNaught and Staunton, the Lions and Legends include Peter Withe, Gordon Cowans, Colin Gibson, Nigel Spink, Gary Shaw, Tony Morley, Des Bremner, Allan Evans, Kenny Swain, Dennis Mortimer, Pat Heard, Jimmy Rimmer, Dave Geddis and Shaun Teale.

The Aston Villa Old Stars team was set up more than half a century ago, while the Aston Villa FPA was formed 20 years ago by Neil Rioch, who remains its chief executive.

Among the management team of the Aston Villa FPA are John Donnelly, David Norton, Mark Kinsella, Mark Draper, Tony Daley, Gareth Farrelly, Jon Pearson, Derek Dudley, Charlie Aitken and Peter McParland.

In a statement, they said: “We are fully aware that a very small group of disaffected former players has set up a Lions & Legends organisation to rival the Aston Villa FPA and the Aston Villa Old Stars football team that have been doing great work for 20 and 54 years respectively.

“The Aston Villa FPA continues to enjoy the support of Aston Villa former players from the 1940s to 2000s, bar the very small number that comprise the core of Lions & Legends.

“The Aston Villa FPA is an open and transparent organisation whose core purpose has always been to provide essential health & welfare support to former players in need, whilst the Aston Villa Old Stars football team has to date raised well over £5 million for charities.

“The Aston Villa FPA will maintain its integrity at all times and rise above the smear tactics employed by misguided and misinformed opponents. However, we cannot allow serious allegations that are potentially libellous to continue unchecked and we will take necessary action where appropriate.”

The Lions and Legends have been taking part in charity fixtures since their formation a year ago, as well as several other events raising money for good causes.

It is believed they left the Aston Villa FPA after feeling their requests for greater transparency from the association’s management team were ignored.

Staunton on behalf of the Lions and Legends produced a lengthy response, including the following words: “It is not the wish of Lions & Legends to have bought our disagreement with the AVFPA into the public domain in this way, but now have no choice but to respond.

“To see European Cup Winners, League Championship Winners, League Cup winners and proven full internationals referred to as ‘disaffected players` is slur on what we achieved and the support the wonderful public gave us. We have minds of our own and therefore have control over our own destiny. A full and unreserved apology is expected.”

Looking at the names in the 2 groups, I know which one I'd be inclined to follow.

There's some true Villa men in the Lions & Legends corner, none more so than Sid. 

Maybe some money was not accountable for? Bearing in mind the FPA are supposed to be a charity organisation.

On behalf of the team and my staff, this is a genuine note of appreciation for your ongoing support of the Club and for the strong contribution you have made to the vibrant, passionate atmosphere that has typified our games here at Villa Park and at away games up and down the country.

From the outset, we knew that establishing a tight, robust relationship between the fans and what has essentially become a new group of players in the Villa shirt would be crucial in our efforts to build the Club again. The support of the fans has been a key element in the team’s growth and emergence and that mutual bond has been very evident again this season.

Collectively, we all want to see a team that is exciting, a team that wants to try to attack and a team that steps out in every game to try to win. We have started off playing really well, the team is doing well at the moment and this is very pleasing.

Inevitably, we experienced growing pains last season but over the second half of the campaign there was a big coming together and a massive effort to secure the results which gave us that platform to continue to build and develop. We’re a different team from that now. Everyone can sense this and see it, too, and some of our results so far have provided a real measure of just how far we have travelled in not much more than a year.

The level of performance has been particularly satisfying. Even the most dyed-in-the-wool optimist might have struggled to see too many points coming from the run of games we were dealt at the start of the season, including Arsenal away, Chelsea away, Liverpool and Manchester City. These teams will aspire to be right up there when the Barclays Premier League comes to a conclusion in May.

That we competed all the way with each of them is testament to the work ethic, the sense of team and the quality within the group in addition to the powerful collective desire which underpins their effort on a daily basis. The players enjoy coming to work, they work hard, they enjoy representing this Club and they have taken upon their young shoulders a massive responsibility based on expectations which inevitably exist given the heritage and history we are proud to have here.

Your backing of the team has helped enormously. It will continue to take time for the group to realise its true potential but the foundations are strong now, the players’ increased resilience will help them to deal with setbacks and to overcome them and the further strengthening of the squad that took place in the summer augurs well for its continued development. We won’t always experience days like we did against Manchester City, for the squad is still predominantly young, still learning and that level of consistency will be difficult to maintain.

But that’s our challenge over the coming weeks and months – to continue to strive to move forward as a Club and to build on what we have, an ethos and a philosophy which sees the players and the fans at the very centre of what we want to achieve together.

• Like 1