Paul Lambert

Pilchard

But every decent team in the PL have a combination of young and older ( more experienced ) players.

Why are we trying to be different ?

Because we can't compete with the wages and transfer fees of the older players in those decent teams. We need to find a different way to compete.

They are tied together though arn't they.

You fear the teams who are at the top of the table and see opportunities for points against the relegation strugglers.

I do get why you're getting at.

I've never known opposition fans to not fancy playing against us home or away, even promoted teams mark as down as potential points winning opportunities.

Villa park is not and hasn't been for some time a place to fear.

'Fear' at our level is a bit of BS, imo. There are only a couple of teams who are good enough to consistently have a home win record that makes visiting teams think 'we are very unlikely to win this game'. I doubt Everton, who only lost once at home in the league last season, created a sense of fear for the visitors. It's unlikely we are about to have two or three consecutive seasons with very few home defeats, so we can aspire to 'fear' but that's all it will be for a while. Besides, fear didn't prevent three teams winning at mold trafford last season.

• Like 2

I don't care if teams fear us or not. As long as they lose to us. Them thinking we're a soft touch could be to our advantage. Long may it continue :)

Summed up my feelings on the matter in a line Brian.

1 year eh.. makes a change that this summer we can actually build on something instead of having to start all over again under a new manager.

I forget what that feeling is like. 1st time in a while we wont have a "transitional" season

1 year eh.. makes a change that this summer we can actually build on something instead of having to start all over again under a new manager.

I forget what that feeling is like. 1st time in a while we wont have a "transitional" season

Whilst we aren't having to change manager, I still think there will be a complete upheaval of the squad with numerous outgoings and incomings. Therefore it could still be a transitional period in some kind of way

But every decent team in the PL have a combination of young and older ( more experienced ) players.

Because we can't compete with the wages and transfer fees of the older players in those decent teams. We need to find a different way to compete.

There should be no reason why we shouldn't be able to financially compete as a top 6/7 team. Our owner has restricted us slightly with his awful decisions allowing other clubs to over take us in how much money they make.

We've got no chance of finacially competing with the top 4 but I'd be amazed if this was our aim with the current approach.

There should be no reason why we shouldn't be able to financially compete as a top 6/7 team.

Got any facts to back that up, you seem to be very well informed perhaps you can let us all know how we should be able to compete as a top 7/6 team?

Ignoring Randy's own money, we generate enough income for a top 6/7 team do we?

Just saying 'we should' isn't good enough, as unless your a financial advisor and know all the ins and outs of Villa income i suggest you top making yourself look silly.

There should be no reason why we shouldn't be able to financially compete as a top 6/7 team. Our owner has restricted us slightly with his awful decisions allowing other clubs to over take us in how much money they make.

We've got no chance of finacially competing with the top 4 but I'd be amazed if this was our aim with the current approach.

John, why do you constantly refer back to randy Lerner on just about every subject that is raised.

I for one am not as critical of him as you due to the awful decisions of one of his employees namely mon.

Mon has gone but the legacy was left to someone who is stilll a part of AVFC and is still capable of making an impact on our club I.e Christion Benteke ( meaning providing the funds) so forgive me for having more interest in Randy Lerner than the myth Martin O'Neill.

MON is history Randy Lerner is current.

IMO Randy's reference was unnecessary, it was just regurgitating something you can't let go of and unfortunately that gets a reaction from me who does'nt agree with you on that subject.

Ps just remember its a matter of opinion whether all those decisions were our awful owner.... Just that I don,t share that view.

Got any facts to back that up, you seem to be very well informed perhaps you can let us all know how we should be able to compete as a top 7/6 team?

I may be completely wrong but when Lerner took over were we not in the top 7 clubs in terms of income?

Ignoring Randy's own money, we generate enough income for a top 6/7 team do we?

Again we did. It's his decisions that have led to other teams starting to overtake us in this area. We still earn more money than the majority of teams in the league. He's once again allowed other teams to start gaining more with our low league finish the year tv money shot up.

as unless your a financial advisor and know all the ins and outs of Villa income i suggest you top making yourself look silly.

Haha you have to be a financial advisor now before making comments?

IMO Randy's reference was unnecessary

I disagree.

The post I quoted mentioned we needed a new approach as we could not compete. But we should be able to compete. We do generate more money than most of the teams in the league and like I said its only poor decisions from Lerner which is allowing other clubs to catch up and overtake.

Edited by Big_John_10

IMO Randy's reference was unnecessary

I disagree.

The post I quoted mentioned we needed a new approach as we could not compete. But we should be able to compete. We do generate more money than most of the teams in the league and like I said its only poor decisions from Lerner which is allowing other clubs to catch up and overtake.

.....lets call the whole thing off.

I'd say Benteke is worth closer to £30m and Guzan closer to £5m, which is why we'll probably sell the former but keep the latter.

Although personally I wouldn't sell Benteke for less than £40m. He's going to be hot property at the end of the season.

Give me some of what you've been smoking. 40m for Benteke !?!?!?

You need to remember that Andy Carroll was a panic buy and remove that thought from your head immediately.

Then consider Sergio Aguero - 38m Samir Nasri - 24m David Silva - 25m Carlos Tevez - 25.5m ...

Them players wasn't at a Nowadays-feeder-club such as ourselves who have a bad history of letting our best players go + we could be getting relegated this year...

I know what you mean but 40m you would need to wake up and smell the coffee :/

We'll see.

Hey, I think digging stuff up to make a point is small time, but I was slightly offended by this.

So, yeah, are we seeing? How's the coffee?

Dont think he likes Carruthers, who I think will be off. Would like him to stay and get a chance but I'm not sure if Carruthers has the right attitude for him. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I think Graham, Grealish, Robinson and Gardner will get some game time next season.

Think Johnson, Williams, Stieber and maybe a couple of others will go on loan. Delfouneso again?

Ah finally, someone who see's it the way I do.

Randy has suckered everyone into beleiving cheap players on low wages is the way forward for Aston Villa. - Why everyone beleives this is beyond me, Sure we can't rub shoulders with the big 4. Buts thats no reason why we should run along the lines of swansea, wigan.

The low fee\low wages isn't good for Aston Villa, However it may be best for Randy Lerner, who has little time or interest in the well being of Aston Villa