Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Making up your own narrative again aren't you!

What has he said that makes you assume he thought it would be easy?? Where has he said that he would be able to shift them "just like that"?

I'm sure he thought this season was going to be a struggle - whenever he was interviewed early on - even when things were going well, he said "this will not be sorted in a few months, this is a long long process

Shockingly naive my arse

Making up ones own narrative is reserved for you is it?

It was actually another poster that said he thought he could shift the players, and you agreed. He didn't say "easy" i'd give you that.

Lambert hasn't said anything concrete either way

I thonk it is a long time plan/investment and if we get relegated we get relegated, long time plan is still on. I think the plan is to completely balance the books and build again from scratch. It is a big gamble and i think the most worrying is that if we do get relegated and have a great season in the championship, players doing well, then clubs in the premier league will come sniffing around and again our best players will be leaving and we are back to where we are now but in the championship.

Theres no free lunch in the championship either, will be a long way back to the premier league...

Hairyhands,

Will we be able to hold on to Vlaar, Benteke etc if we were to go down?

Probably not in Bentekes case, but he will command a big fee that´ll hopefully will be invested in the squad again.

Oh of course he would have seen that. I'm sure he was happy with it. After all he has already brought in what, 8 players without needing to sell them. If he had of managed to shift Warnock, Hutton & Dunne he would have more than likely bought more than 8 players in. How was he going to know that no one was going to sign the players we want to sell? Seeing as he managed to sell Collins why is it naive to think he wouldn't be able to sell Warnock or Hutton? They're equally as shit as Collins aren't they? 

I would say much worse. Collins had one half decent season for us. I just think he saw the £££ for himself and was blinded by it.

Try to sound less angry when you are posting. I can sense you are battering hell out of the keys whn replying. I find it difficult communicating with people like you because you come out with a statement whcih isn't true, we go through it and I provide you with examples and then when that happens we simply jump on to another rant and find ourselves back at square one. I'm not saying every signing he has made has been good. Never once have I suggested so. When I replied to you I was stating the problem in regard to wages.

Why did he leave Norwich. Think you will find it was a number of reasons. But one, I would imagine, would be he thought if he could steady the ship he'd find himself at a big club with great potential for moving forward I think that is a sensible and measured way to look at it. So didn't Villa struggle badly last season with Warnock and Hutton in the team? But because they aren't playing now they same players who made mistakes weekly and were constantly at fault for goals are now better? Not really a strong case that is it.

You say we shouldn't have the same budget as Wigan as we are a big club but Villa are a big club that has been toiling since MON **** off and left a huge wage bill. Who is to blame for players such as Bent, Ireland, Nzogbia and such all earning in excess of £60,000 a week. or Hutton and Warnock earning what they do? Is that Lambert's fault? But since he is now manager is does impact on what he has to play with. You say built his team around Bent - a guy who is constantly injured and when he has played offered nothing (forgetting the amount of sitters he has missed this season - Norwich away in the cup for one. Bradford away in the cup for two). If he isn't 100 per cent up for the battle then why use him?

Finally, a decent team before this? Really? I thought it was bottom end of the table stuff last season? Somehow I think now. Proof is in the pudding - no other clubs are interested in coming in to try and sign any of them even although it is pretty well known Villa would no doubt agree to offloading one or two. So how come must Premier League managers or chairman have a different view from you?? I'd suggest you don't really have a clue. So you can't blame Lambert for not spending money he doesn't have.

I will say I agree not every singing has worked out but I also say some of his signings have been the best players this season.

Yes my keys are beaten to death and I am so angry now only one of me screens are working as I have punched the other one, my rage is endless.

I wasn't the one who changed the subjects but that is going to happen. My point was that Lambert could have signed some experience, which he could have but didn't. Yes, some are on high wages but he is a footballer manager and working around that and getting the right players in is part of his job. He has experience but refuses to play them for whatever reason, while Warnock was poor last time out he wasn't as poor as Bennett has been.  Our tactics are very poor and we dont play as a team well enough.

I first quoted someone saying they feel sorry for Lambert when really nobody should be feeling that way because its all his own doing. His hands are somewhat tied but they aren't handcuffed so much that no matter who came in we would be in this situation.

Nobody is going to come in and take these players when we are likely to go down and they can take them for half price in the summer.

Hairyhands,

Will we be able to hold on to Vlaar, Benteke etc if we were to go down?

Probably not in Bentekes case, but he will command a big fee that´ll hopefully will be invested in the squad again.

If we go down we will not get more than 14m for him IMO. He will command his own move, and every other club will hold us to the lowest possible price.

last published accounts (2010/2011 - pre McMuppet) showed we had a wage bill of £83.4m a year (7th highest at the time in the Premier League) Income was around 92m and the debt owed to Lerner was £113m. That was when we bought Bent + Makoun, took Ireland instead of just cash from Man City when we lost Milner (Lerner and Faulkners biggest mistake in my opinion or maybe signing Heskey.....I digress) took Walker on Loan and signed Pires - at the same time shipping out half the youth team and the likes of Sidwell, Harewood, Shorey, Davies and Bouma. 

During the disaster that was last season (and dont forget who was responsible for choosing the manager) McMuppet was allowed to spend the money from the sales of Lowry, A Young, L Young and the fee for loaning Olympiakos Makoun On Given, Nzogbia, Hutton, Enda and loaning Jenas. We lost Carew, Friedel, Pires, Salifou and Downing along with some other youth players from the wage bill. I would expect that actually cut the wage bill quite a bit even if we get lumbered with Given, Nzogbia and Hutton who've never really cut it so far in their villa careers.  

The money from the sale of Downing alleged to be around £20m is what Lambert seemingly got given at the start of the season. We FINALLY got Heskey off the paysheet (how much money did that actually cost us in the end) and lost Cuellar, tha amazing Habib Beye! and Collins too (Last one's undoubtedly a mistake whatever his attitude was like). 

If it's to be believed that the likes of Vlaar, Benteke, KEA etc are on less money than previous signings then I reckon the costcutting exercise is going well.

Now I dont work for Villa and I have no real idea what individuals get paid, I'm not a shareholder and ive never seen their accounts. But one thing is for sure, the following 10 players - Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, Bent, Agbonlahor, Ireland, Nzogbia, Given, Makoun and Petrov are surely among the highest paid players at the club. For a miriad of different reasons they have clocked up 47 appearances in the premier league this season between them - 

Gabby 12

Bent 10

Ireland 13

Nzogbia 10

Given 2 (conceded 4)

They've contributed 4 Goals:

Gabby 2

Bent 2

and 5 Assists:

Nzogbia 2

Ireland 1

Bent 1

Gabby 1

(In writing this out I notice with the addition of another centre back that's a whole starting 11!)

Now I know we bleat on about the money paid to footballers these days and all that but for whatever the reason is the club getting value for money from these players at the moment in your opinion? Discuss :D 

I remember when Lambert was brought in, one of the first things what were supposed to change was that we had to be consistent on scoring goals, we can`t let goals come in constantly. Anyone else remember that? Quite funny when you look at the statistics. 

I wonder if anyone with a better memory than me can weigh in on this. Back in the summer a poster - villanonsea, I believe - made some statements on finances available to whoever took over from McLeish.

I think - but could be wrong - that he claimed it was about £8m + 50% of player sales. Now he got plenty of "Prove it" and "You know **** all" stick and may well have dented his credibility with transfer claims that turned out to be bollocks.

However, my question is, is that what Lambert has spent thus far or thereabouts?

Was it a case of Randy to Lambert "Here's what I can give you now and we'll look again in January." Come January it's, "Oh, nope, had a look and won't be giving you anymore at the moment even though you didn't spend it all."

Or did he spend it all and Lerner just isn't giving him any more?

I wonder if anyone with a better memory than me can weigh in on this. Back in the summer a poster - villanonsea, I believe - made some statements on finances available to whoever took over from McLeish.

I think - but could be wrong - that he claimed it was about £8m + 50% of player sales. Now he got plenty of "Prove it" and "You know **** all" stick and may well have dented his credibility with transfer claims that turned out to be bollocks.

However, my question is, is that what Lambert has spent thus far or thereabouts?

Was it a case of Randy to Lambert "Here's what I can give you now and we'll look again in January." Come January it's, "Oh, nope, had a look and won't be giving you anymore at the moment even though you didn't spend it all."

Or did he spend it all and Lerner just isn't giving him any more?

Well we know what he spent - 23mill. So know he didn't have 8 mill to spend. Is that what you were asking??

• Like 1

Well we know what he spent - 23mill. So know he didn't have 8 mill to spend. Is that what you were asking??

Yep, has he spent £8m plus 50% of any player sale revenue (not that that would be much!)? So the obvious answer is he has spent more than that so that particular constraint was either bollocks or Lerner changed his mind on transfer funds.

villainonsea admitted he was on the wind up.  Was that £100k pw after the sales? 

Now I know you are not either Karsa or Culverhouse given your use of 'we' and 'MON' and slating him.  You're def a Villa fan.

so just let me get this straight, not disputing this but if true lets just get some perspective to it.

Mon left this club for what is widely recognised as Lerner deciding to cut back and reign in investment on players not playing, so we would spend within our means? And because Lerner stopped mon making sole decisions on what players would be getting, so t get some control back.

All the players mentioned here (warnock aside) were signed after mon left. What happened, did they hire him back on a consultancy or something to negotiate the contracts or was all that about mon have sole decision making yet more bollocks?

Richard going HAM

Not slating MON either - just stating the obvious he spends big money on players - looks after them very well financially so they play for him - and when he departs leaves a club with financial problems. But if the club can afford to back him then he is a great manager.

So why did the club continue to give outrageous wages to players after MON left?