Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I'm sure if Mat Kendrick had *gasp* "an agenda" he'd be spearheading it with something slightly more damaging than "Oh, look, someone else is doing the press conference".  As diabolically evil moves go, it's not exactly 'Die Endlösung'.

What I don't get about all of this is why Lambert didn't identify that we needed a big DM in the team from the outset. He should be on the blower to Lerner begging/pleading for £3m to sign someone like Liam Trotter who could come in and do a job in a DM position. We will have Warnock and Dunne out the door in the summer so wages shouldn't be an issue and it could save us £60m if it keeps us up. Besides, we'll need a good DM in the Championship next season anyway. It's a win win for Lambert. If Lerner won't allow that sort of deal I am even more concerned for the future of our club than I first thought.

How the **** have we gone to "we have NO money"? Of course we dont have an endless pot of money, but not being able to bring in a championship midfielder like Stephens? What are we talking about? 3 million pounds?

Unfortunately not. Don't think it is financially possible which is a killer. One good player might just make the difference in this battle. (tho not so sure Stephens would be that player) !

Don't know that much about Stephens but heard that we had made serious enquiries.

Massive and outlandish gamble by Lerner - really hard to fathom his thinking. I think he thinks if we go down this year we can jump straight back up but it's just not that easy

I'd put my house on no-one in this thread who claims to have contacts, having anything of the sort.

In the words of the great man. It's all a load of

tumblr_lsmopyg3P91qz5deto1_r1_1280.png

BULLSHIT!

Edited by Stevo985

I think he'll have no option but to try and get the best out of him. In fairness to Nzogbia, I thought like most of the team he played very well first-half but I also thought he didn't offer a great deal in the second-half at a time when someone had to try and stand up and be counted.

But Morpheus I do agree that is the best role for him and it is vital to try and find a way to allow him to influence matches between now and the end of the season. I just think he is one of those players though who you could never really trust to go out there and do the business when you need it most. I could be proved wrong though.

I've been banging on about N'Zogbia's role in the team for some time now. Play him in the role that he's accustomed to and you'll get a performance out of him.

Agree that you can't trust him on consistency but when playing for Wigan he always seemed to play well in the run in so lets hope Lambert perseveres and can get the type of performances out of him that will help to get us safe?

Agree. I think he will have to anyway not as though there is huge competition for places. Think Ireland might drop back out again though. I thought he was one of the worst for hiding the other night. Wasn't overly impressed with Gabby either. If Wieman is 100 per cent fit would like to see him and Benteke start up top with Nzogbia just behind them. That's a decent enough attack. It's the midfield and defence that is the problem for now.

I'm not a fan of Ireland by a long way but I disagree with you about his performance the other night - I thought he was looking for the ball but didn't get it. He asked for the ball from Vlaar a number of times but wasn't given it.

Had he been given it I think it might have encouraged him to push forward more but when he didn't get it he dropped back into a deeper position with more space and wasn't able to do much damage. I watched him and Zog carefully and felt for the first time in a while that they were really trying (maybe professional pride against lower league opposition?)

That said my midfield would be Clark, Westwood, Delph (!) and Zog but Ireland would be my first sub over Bannan (dpeneding on the situation)

Agree. I think he will have to anyway not as though there is huge competition for places. Think Ireland might drop back out again though. I thought he was one of the worst for hiding the other night. Wasn't overly impressed with Gabby either. If Wieman is 100 per cent fit would like to see him and Benteke start up top with Nzogbia just behind them. That's a decent enough attack. It's the midfield and defence that is the problem for now.

What about Bent?

You know it wouldn't surprise me at all if a bid for Bent is disclosed by the club on the last day of the window and he leaves. Hence a statement from the club saying that the player wanted to go and the club didn't have enough time to find a replacement?

Presently, if, or, when fit and if he doesn't leave, i'd play both Bent and Benteke up front with Charles in behind them cutting in from the right in a free role and since as you predicted that we seemingly aren't signing anyone, i'd then bring Warnock into midfield as our defensive mid with hopefully a soon to be fit Dunne partnering Vlaar in defence.

That to me would be the strongest spine available and would give us the best chance to survive. 

What about Bent?

You know it wouldn't surprise me at all if a bid for Bent is disclosed by the club on the last day of the window and he leaves. Hence a statement from the club saying that the player wanted to go and the club didn't have enough time to find a replacement?

Presently, if, or, when fit and if he doesn't leave, i'd play both Bent and Benteke up front with Charles in behind them cutting in from the right in a free role and since as you predicted that we seemingly aren't signing anyone, i'd then bring Warnock into midfield as our defensive mid with hopefully a soon to be fit Dunne partnering Vlaar in defence.

That to me would be the strongest spine available and would give us the best chance to survive.

Unfortunately Bent doesn't work hard enough for a relegation battle. That along with us avoiding paying Blunderland 3mill.

Unfortunately Bent doesn't work hard enough for a relegation battle. That along with us avoiding paying Blunderland 3mill.

He doesn't work hard enough? What if he scores goals which wins us matches? I know Brett Holman would work hard enough, but given he is an awful footballer should he play instead of Ashley Westwood who kind of strolls around with more ease? Aggression and mediocre talent only get us to a certain level

I'm not a fan of Ireland by a long way but I disagree with you about his performance the other night - I thought he was looking for the ball but didn't get it. He asked for the ball from Vlaar a number of times but wasn't given it.

Had he been given it I think it might have encouraged him to push forward more but when he didn't get it he dropped back into a deeper position with more space and wasn't able to do much damage. I watched him and Zog carefully and felt for the first time in a while that they were really trying (maybe professional pride against lower league opposition?)

That said my midfield would be Clark, Westwood, Delph (!) and Zog but Ireland would be my first sub over Bannan (dpeneding on the situation)

I agree with you 'VillaCas' that Ireland should be first change over Bannan.

However for the run in i'd be inclined to bring Warnock back as our defensive mid instead of putting Clark in there. We're going to need an experienced head in midfield for the run in and although Warnock wouldn't normally be my first choice, he has proved that he can play well in that role.

Actually disgusted that Lerner hasn't opened the cheque book for the DM that we so badly needed but thats for a different thread.

Edited by Morpheus

Henry Winter

@henrywinter

At Bodymoor Heath. Lambert: 'I thrive on pressure. I'm

not going to buckle. Weve got to fight like hell.' But do #avfc have enough fighters?

All these Journos are slowly starting to realise what a poor job Lambert is doing..

How did you get that from Winter's quote??

Seems to me he is saying that the squad is not good enough or experienced enough