Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Not if we get the right manager in who will then employ the right defensive coach to stop us from conceding goals.

Not if we get the right manager in who will then employ the right defensive coach to stop us from conceding goals.

So its just a case of the right defensive coach, just get someone in and we'll be picking up clean sheets in no time?

Brilliant, i'm sure nobody else has thought of that.

You cold argue that Lambert has done better than expected, we're basically a promoted team with the amount of experience we have, whilst the likes of QPR and Wigan have better more experienced players than us and are doing equally as shit.

• Like 1

Least cash? He had £20m+ to spend this summer, which was more than McLeish, and quite a bit more than a lot of the other teams in the bottom half of the table. He just didn't spend it on the sort of players we needed to keep us up.

And he lost Heskey, Cuellar and Collins (£18m) and for one reason or another was without Hutton, Warnock, Makoun and Petrov (£22.5m) = total $40m. Before you say it was his choice to lose Cuellar, Collins, Warnock and Hutton, it was not his choice

So IN 8 players for £18m OUT 7 players £40m = Net -£22m investment on a sqaud that finished 16th the year before

Added to that the worst injury list in the league (fact), a useless set of remaining senior professionals (Zog, Ireland, Delph etc) who PL expected more from and a group of younger players who have yet to live up to the hype.

To those of you who want PL to go - be careful what you wish for

Morning all,

Would like to canvass opinion since it seems everyone is discussing the manager without knowing the difficulties he is facing.

There has been criticism of his summer signings - with the exception of one or two despite the fact he had to use £18m to sign 12 players - puts it in perspective when Harry Redknapp is making£5m bids for West Brom defenders doesn't it! But what if Lambert wanted specific players but had to settle for third and fourth choices because of the financial situation. Does that take the sting out of that arguement.

What if he targetted two experienced players this month to come in and play at the centre of defence and the middle of the park only to be told the club couldn't afford either of them even although they aren't as expensive as the £5m QPR are using to buy their way out of trouble. Is that also his fault that the teams he is competing against are spending money yet he can't.

What is the board at Villa came out and said they can't give the manager the money they would like to give him to spend because of a need to make financial cuts? Because that is very much the situation at the club right now.

I'm not saying new players won't arrive but how far up Lambert's wanted list would they be? Perhaps that is something for supporters to consider. If anyone thinks he doesn't know the defence isn't good enough or the team is especially weak in the middle of the park then they are very much mistaken. But is it still your fault when you expected money to be made available to invest only to find out that actually isn't the case.

Just a thouight............

I've every reason to beleive that this is true

Supporters need to wise up and direct their frustrations in the right direction

At the end of the day you can all believe whatever you want.

You can believe that Lambert is a useless manager if you want, you can believe that he signed a load of cheap kids in the summer because (insert whatever theory you want), you can believe he is blind to what we need in January if you want and that he has done knob all about getting players in. These all seem like quite common views reading various threads.

Or you can believe that Lambert is a good manager, a manager who did his best in the summer with the resources available to him and with the players from his targets that the board secured for him. That knows exactly what we need this window and has already identified those players but doesn't have the financial backing to make them happen.

Believe what you wish to believe.

I know which I believe and where I believe the blame lies for the problems that we have and have had for almost 3 years now far longer than Lambert has been around. There is a reason our fans sang his name away at Norwich last season and that reason is he has proven himself to be a good manager and what is happening here shouldn't change peoples view of that. Not in my book.

That isn't to say he hasn't made mistakes in selections, in tactics or any other area of the job all managers make errors but he isn't a bad manager and neither is he the real problem here.

People can agree with me, disagree with I don't much care I'm tired of trying to convince people we couldn't go signing X or Y in the summer and tired of saying we aren't going to pay £10m for Lescott. You don't have to be ITK to work that out it is just common sense based on everything that has happened to/at this club in recent years.

I've been critical of Lambert at times and I will be in future no doubt but right now I wouldn't swap him for anyone else because given what he inherited, what he is working with in terms of the players and the restraints I believe he is under it is amazing we aren't already in the bottom three.

As for me being able to vouch for Hairyhands, yes I can.

I've heard very similar via other channels - makes perfect sense

Lambert has made a few mistakes as I'm sure he would be the first to admit but right now he is our only chance of having a decent future. Hopefully he can keep us up this season and as the purse-strings loosen he can bring a bit more quality in

Those who criticise PL might do better to direct their anger elsewhere to those really responsible

Did you not say in a previous post that it would be an achievement for Lambert to keep us up?

If anyone thinks that McL was a success here, they are utterly clueless

I originally thought that PL would get us to mid-table this season but given the information emerging around finances (from this forum and elsewhere) keeping us in the division on a shoestring will be success enough.

Added to that the worst injury list in the league (fact),

Not fact. Newcastle with 11 players out currently top the injury league. Fulham also beat us with 8.Also, ManC, Norwich, QPR, Sunderland and West Brom are only a smidgeon better off than us. It's that time of the season. Edited by briny_ear

If anyone thinks that McL was a success here, they are utterly clueless

I originally thought that PL would get us to mid-table this season but given the information emerging around finances (from this forum and elsewhere) keeping us in the division on a shoestring will be success enough.

McLeish was given less money to work with so you would have to extend the same courtesy to him and say that keeping us up was an achievement last season.

It would be churlish to hold McLeish to a higher standard just because he was not popular and Lambert is.

It is a double standard to blame last season on the manager but this season on the owner when little has changed between the two seasons.

Wow - that's all we need? Hope somebody mentions this to PL. Maybe Lerner's of this belief too - hence no money for players. Just get a defensive coach instead.

Really? Could you?

I don't think even the biggest Lambert fan could argue he's done better than expected.

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans. Yes, I was expecting to lose 12-0 to Chelsea and Lambert is therefore a genius. I just want to shake people sometimes. The bloke is absolutely hopeless, and doesn't learn from his various mistakes, and yet is doing better than expected!

McLeish was given less money to work with so you would have to extend the same courtesy to him and say that keeping us up was an achievement last season.

It would be churlish to hold McLeish to a higher standard just because he was not popular and Lambert is.

It is a double standard to blame last season on the manager but this season on the owner when little has changed between the two seasons.

Do you really think that McLeish's season was a success - mind-boggling!!!

McLeish had the same money and a better squad to start with - he choose to use his money on three players Hutton (4m) - useless, NZogbia (9.5m) - useless, and Given (3.5m) not required. We are also saddled with long contracts on each of them with minimal sell on potential. The 'culture' around the club under McL has lead to the problems we now see with our senior professionals

If McLeish had bought in 8 new players for the same money (and probably the same total wages) maybe 4 or 5 of them would be first team regulars now. Imagine if he had instead signed the equivalent of Guzan, Vlaar, Lowton, Westwood, Benteke, Bennett, KEA and Bowery last season and we were able to add another 8 new faces this season - what a much better squad we could have

McLeish took us backwards. If you want to see his role as a success I think you are in a minority of one

When you look at the damage McLeish did, it is often over looked that he signed Given, N'Zogbia & Hutton who are basically costing us 150k a week and have little or no resale value at all, when you factor in what he paid for them it's crazy. In a fair market you'd lose little on Lamberts signings overall, while I'd imagine, Westwood, Benteke & Lowton would make a profit.

What a moronic post

If you can't see what is right in front of your eyes there is no hope for you

Please do explain why Lambert is so amazing, what is it he's done that warrant this almost cultist admiration.

For me he's decent at best and still very much learning his trade and i do not think he is the right manager for us at this time and place, maybe in 5-10 years , but not now. It was too soon for him.

That said i think we're stuck with him for the time being and that sacking him would be fruitless as Lerner would not find a better candidate.

What a moronic post

If you can't see what is right in front of your eyes there is no hope for you

Like what? That Lambert had money and decided to buy young players clearly not ready? Vlaar being injured? Would he alone have stopped us shipping all them goals? Worse results than Mcleish and people still sing his name.

What is in front of me that is telling you otherwise?