Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I suppose we will have our answer as to whether 'Hairyhands' does have inside information when the transfer window closes. I have been very critical of him and will retract and apologize if what he says comes to fruition that in fact we can't even afford five million for a player and if that is the case then i simply can't see how we can stay up under those constraints.

Which leads me then to why would Lambert leave Norwich for a club in a worse position and under the same constraints? I mean it's career suicide to do that. We are a bigger club than Norwich due to past history but no better off financially or indeed positionally now in the Premier League.

So why did he come to us? He must have been promised funding which 'Richard' alluded to at the start of the season. Has Lerner and the board now back tracked that promise because we are doing so badly again? Are they actually sowing the seeds for relegation and life in the Championship at best?

Is that actually what O'Neill suspected and was it indeed the catyalst for O'Neill leaving?

Lerner has sold his other club so why the constraints on our transfer budget? Is there something in his closet that we haven't heard yet or, is it simply that relegation and Championship football is acceptable to him.

Too many questions and not nearly enough answers for me.

If Lambert is running the team without enough investment then why doesn't he come out and say it. Why doesn't he state that he has to use what he has as there is no money to spend. Other managers have come out and said this in their defence.

Something just doesn't add up for me and we'll know by the end of the month.

Like I said yesterday, maybe he's not too impressed by Lambert's initial signings. But, when you sign that amount of players for £20m what do you expect?!

It's simple really; we spend good money on 3-5 quality players or we will need a near miracle to stay up. If those lads cannot compete with Bradford City how the **** are they going to get results against the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal & Spurs away, as well as the home games against Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City?

After reading the posts of Hairyhands I am starting to think that Lerner has anticipated us going down and that's why he brought in Lambert, a man with the proven ability of promoting clubs from the lower leagues. If that is true I would rather we had kept McLeish. Believe me when I say it hurts like **** to say that but it is said with meaning. He had us hard to beat, ok we were hard to watch as well but at least we were tighter at the back and one point is better than none! We are statistically worse this season than we were last season anyway. Also, we could have invested the money it cost us to get rid of McLeish and his staff, plus the compensation payment for Lambert, on the playing side. That extra cash, even to McLeish, may have just been the difference between going down and staying up. Then, in a couple of years time when the deadwood has been cleared, we could have gone and got Lambert in.

Firstly I hold Lerner ultimately responsible for our current state. However when PL accepted the job it is reasonable (based on what we have seen) to believe that he was informed of the spending/wage constraints and given a budget. He then chose to go overseas/ to the lower leagues to bring in a bunch of players, who were not proven Premier League standard and simultaneously made it clear to several experienced players that they were not in his future plans.

His plan has backfired, not enough of the new recruits are good enough, and if the so called HairyHands is telling the truth he is now trying correct things by adding back more experience BUT Lerner etc are saying no to higher paid players.

I have no reason to dis-believe this latest ITK but if true I find it absolutely amazing that potentially the Manager or someone close to him only 6 months after joining the club thinks it is neccessary to use online forums to get his side of the story over almost in an attempt to get support from the fans to pressure the board or at least take the flak away from PL.

You may disagree, but it does seem that there is already conflict at the club.

FWIW i have lost much confidence in PL but also think RL signed him and has to bite the bullet and support him financially or we are going DOWN!

Do you really think that McLeish's season was a success - mind-boggling!!!

McLeish had the same money and a better squad to start with - he choose to use his money on three players Hutton (4m) - useless, NZogbia (9.5m) - useless, and Given (3.5m) not required. We are also saddled with long contracts on each of them with minimal sell on potential. The 'culture' around the club under McL has lead to the problems we now see with our senior professionals

If McLeish had bought in 8 new players for the same money (and probably the same total wages) maybe 4 or 5 of them would be first team regulars now. Imagine if he had instead signed the equivalent of Guzan, Vlaar, Lowton, Westwood, Benteke, Bennett, KEA and Bowery last season and we were able to add another 8 new faces this season - what a much better squad we could have

McLeish took us backwards. If you want to see his role as a success I think you are in a minority of one

I agree that Given wasn't needed but a lot of Villa fans wanted N'Zogbia after losing Young and Downing. We also wanted a new right back, although we would have preferred someone better than Hutton.

Again, Lerner is to blame. According to Hairyhands Lambert has to get rid of those three. So, why the he'll didn't Lerner prevent that kind of investment last season? He's stopping Lambert so why not McLeish? Lerner is so inept it begs belief that he has any money left at all! No wonder his missus divorced him when she did, she probably thought she would get **** all out of him if she waited much longer!

Can't argue with any of that Mike.

Just chatting with Robo on Twitter re Lamberts body language at the first leg which was very downbeat. The thing is whatever Lerner has or has not done, Lambert is paid a bloody good wage to act professionally and try his hardest to get the club winning. There has been little evidence of that lately and he appears to be either lost, incompetent, uninterested, having a moody or a combination of all them.

I'm not too sure many people support Lerner anyway. Grateful for what he has done to a point, but the last 3 years has been **** up after **** up striving to reduce our outgoings without any real planning.

We are lucky to have Lambert in my opinion and if he was backed to get our club the players that we NEED we would be a top half challenger again.

I'm not too sure many people support Lerner anyway. Grateful for what he has done to a point, but the last 3 years has been **** up after **** up striving to reduce our outgoings without any real planning.

We are lucky to have Lambert in my opinion and if he was backed to get our club the players that we NEED we would be a top half challenger again.

I also think Lambert is capable of big things if he's backed

But he won't be backed i think Lerner is content with us either being a championship club or at the very best Premier League bottom feeders

It was only a few months ago when people on here couldn't wait to tell you what a great owner we had. And still a few that pop up to defend him in the Lerner thread.

The number who do that has certainly decreased over the last few years though.

BJ you are just trying to point score and that is not helping.Your views on Lerner are well documented so what are you trying to prove?

Like players, like managers in football like many things in life people don't do well in their jobs and then have to move on. It's no different re Lerner, IMO. I was one of the many who thought he was excellent when he came in and for a long time he has been a lot of good things to the club, albeit with some bad I will admit. The problem is that now when faced with probably his biggest challenge to date he has found to be lacking in either ability, willingness or have the attributes to carry out what is needed. He is failing this test and that is not good for Villa in the long run.

He needs to move on to other "projects" the club needs and deserves better people in running it.

But that is not excusing Lambert and others from any responsibility for the problems because they certainly have contributed significantly to them.

Can't argue with any of that Mike.

Just chatting with Robo on Twitter re Lamberts body language at the first leg which was very downbeat. The thing is whatever Lerner has or has not done, Lambert is paid a bloody good wage to act professionally and try his hardest to get the club winning. There has been little evidence of that lately and he appears to be either lost, incompetent, uninterested, having a moody or a combination of all them.

I also went to the game, was amazed that PL seemed rooted to the bench and I can't actually remember him getting up to have a go etc. I couldn't see his face but it did seem that he was resigned to a shock result!

It wouldn't surprise me if he walks!

Someone said not many defend him anymore. Just pointing out it wasn't that long ago when plenty did.

And I wouldn't try to excuse lambert, I've clearly stated he's been a huge dissapointment for me so far.

And my post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular so not trying to point score.

I wonder if he is regretting leaving Norwich. Without being promised a good amount of money to spend i'm failing to see the reasoning for him joining us. Maybe Randy has put in a very strict policy that the wages cannot get over x%, and Lambert thought it would be easier to shift players such as Hutton, Warnock etc. Maybe that's the reason why we're struggling to bring quality players in cos we wont pay their wages, rather than not paying the transfer fee. If that is the case Randy needs to sort his head out and just go over x% for 6months. Otherwise we're ****.

Seperate issue... why is it so hard to get rid of Hutton, Warnock and Makoun? Why do other clubs not have high earners doing nothing at the club? Other teams always manage to sell/loan their unwanted players yet we can't get rid.

Edited by PieFacE

Jumping up and down on the sidelines?

who's said that? Acting like blind electrician and jumping up and down is not a sign of passion, but sitting slumped in hs seat while the club suffers a defeat to a 4th division side is not either. He is very well paid o do a job, start doing it Edited by drat01

The bit I really struggle with his inability to change things mid game. I said to my mate after 5 mins on Tuesday "they've targeted Bennett" as all their moves were down our left flank. It was so easy to spot. Yet nobody did anything to sort the problem.

Very worrying. No doubt Adkins saw it and will go down that route too.

Jumping up and down on the sidelines?

The perception is often as important as the reality. "Jumping up & down" may not make much difference to the players but it sends a message to fans who have travelled 100s of miles on a shite Tuesday night!

• Like 1