Paul Lambert

Pilchard

It would be nice if we could discuss the games, the tactics, the form of the team etc without having to mention Lerner like everything is absolutely 100% his fault. We all agree that Lerner is the greater problem here but you can't let his ownership of the club completely blind you from all on field issues. 

For me this season I was expecting a development of the team that more or less won half of its fixtures in the last few months of last season, a young, vibrant team with a philosophy, an organised unit. Of course, we are certainly a more resilient team this year, we've dug out a few results which we would have lost last year because I do think the team is a little mentally stronger, hence the decent record of winning games from being behind. We've also seen improvements in Vlaar and Clark, meaning the defence overall has been more solid, less flimsy. 

The negatives though are definitely outweighing the positives, notably how bad the football is, it's simply not acceptable imo for such well paid professionals to be stinking up the league like this, it's genuinely saddening me. I don't know what's gone wrong; Lambert seems a bit lost, it feels like he has an idea but is confused how to execute it. Hardly any of the summer signings have added any particular quality at all, in fact Tonev and Helenius are so clearly out of their depth it's scary. The only game in which we've won this year and looked great was the Arsenal game. The other victories have been very much in the balance and could have/should have gone the other way. The Cardiff game was absolutely horrendous and a great free kick changed the outcome.

I don't really know what I think, I don't for one moment want Lambert gone, it would be a disaster for this club at this point, a part of me does genuinely think he's a good fit for the club and he is very much still a young manager learning but we have to see more from him, he has to step up now. He's struggling to set up a team that can play different ways effectively, he just can't do it. I'm aware we have average players but we do still have a fair bit of raw quality that can pick up points and compete, even against the best. The loss of form of quite a few players is alarming me, not just general lack of form but players like Weimann, Baker and Westwood who have seemingly completely lost ability and gone backwards in their development. Why?

A confusing time to say the least at the moment. 

• Like 1

I mean we haven't won against United in how long? I expect people to be more despondent after this loss and two on the bounce but it doesn't change much for me. This fixture isn't one to really put down as one of notice

A loss to Man U in isolation isn't the end of the world. It was another dreadfully poor performance however, of which there have been far too many this season.

Yeah I agree with that. But I think the team will get better.

If only because I can't see how they can get worse!

As some fans seem to think that we are improving and that there is nobody better than Lambert perhaps these facts will throw a different light on the current situation.

Just looking at our home form this season which should have improved by now if we are truly improving under Lambert:

Played 8, won 2 , drawn 1 and lost 5

7 points out of a possible 24.

Scored 6 and conceded 12.

Failed to score in 5 out of the 8 games.

It makes pretty poor reading and this is supposed to be progress!

To date Lambert has not proved to be any better than his predecessor.

• Like 2

I mean we haven't won against United in how long? I expect people to be more despondent after this loss and two on the bounce but it doesn't change much for me. This fixture isn't one to really put down as one of notice

A loss to Man U in isolation isn't the end of the world. It was another dreadfully poor performance however, of which there have been far too many this season.

Unfortunately it can get far worse, we could lose our away-form too!

Hindsight is a great thing, but i am looking at Everton with Martinez and thinking, why oh why isn't he our manager. Instead of this mardy,boring , tactically inept Lambert bloke

Martinez was my first choice of manager but Lambert was a solid appointment as well.

Changing managers again will do nothing, the thing that needs to change is the level spending the manager is allowed. If we up the transfer/wage budget Lambert will move us up to contesting for the top 8 spots.

• Like 1

But the word has been that we have improved yet that has now come to an abrupt end.

I think the last 3 matches of the year will be the defining ones of the season

Stoke a

Palace h

Swansea h

7 points should be the minimum return from that, if results go our way we could be sitting pretty in the top half by new year, or we could continue with our usual December slump and end up being that team that looks ok in midtable and then get sucked into the relegation battle.

I think he was unlucky and got West Brom playing better football than us and finishing 8th last season.

We hired McLeish after he relegated Blues so getting a WBA manager that worked wonders last year wouldn't be the worst thing.

Could always give Dwight Yorke a go..

I think the last 3 matches of the year will be the defining ones of the season

Stoke a

Palace h

Swansea h

7 points should be the minimum return from that, if results go our way we could be sitting pretty in the top half by new year, or we could continue with our usual December slump and end up being that team that looks ok in midtable and then get sucked into the relegation battle.

To get 7 points we would have to win our 2 home games and that means scoring at least one goal more than the opposition. Considering we have only scored 6 goals at home so far this season (3 of them in the same game against Man City) it is a tough ask!

I'm a big Lambert fan but some of the performances recently have been terrible. I'd love to know why we always start off so slow and why we can't play well for 90 minutes instead of when we go behind in games. The football we are playing has regressed from last season massively, and our home form this season is woeful. He desperately needs some money to spend in January otherwise it's another relegation battle on the cards.

Hindsight is a great thing, but i am looking at Everton with Martinez and thinking, why oh why isn't he our manager. Instead of this mardy,boring , tactically inept Lambert bloke

Martinez has taken over a club that have had a decade of stability, with a team that's been challenging consistently in the top 6.  He's also been given money from the Fellaini sale to add to a squad that is far better than ours.

Not a just comparison at all.

• Like 2

He's got a really tough job but not sure where you start , we look ropey in defense, midfield and attack at the moment. If I was Lambert I'd be doing a lot of hoping. Hope Vlaar gets back quickly. Hope Delph manages to galvanise our midfield. Hope I can find an AM for about 327k who's starts creating chance after chance. Hope Benteke scores a flukey goal and remembers how to play the game. Is that an effective way to manag

Edited by villaglint

I'm still backing Lambert but  some of his decisions baffle me. Last week at Fulham Bacuna was getting run ragged but he didn't change things round, likewise today with Luna.

He can't be blamed for stupid errors like Baker and Luna giving the ball away which resulted in 2 goals but he does need to react quicker because tactically he is showing his naivety.

Lerner needs to open his wallet in January and Lambert has to play hardball with him to get the funds to make significant changes.

Edited by Robbie09