Paul Lambert

Pilchard

at the time spurs scored their second we were starting to look half dangerous with benteke, I like lambert but he definitely needs to up his tactics because most games we are tacticly stumped, just so one dimentional, same when o'neill was here but we got away with it because we had a good team with quality players all throught the team

It isn't spin though. It's the truth. If he'd said we were on top for the whole game then yes I'd agree with you but he didn't say that.

It is spin because we didn't create anything to have got a result. Just an insult to our intelligence to claim anything other then that.

Two near chances off the top of my head: Benteke's free header off the Bacuna cross and the ball from Weimann to nearly play in Kozak on goal. But hey...I'm sure Lambert is just trying to formulate ways to insult our intelligence. 

It isn't spin though. It's the truth. If he'd said we were on top for the whole game then yes I'd agree with you but he didn't say that.

It is spin because we didn't create anything to have got a result. Just an insult to our intelligence to claim anything other then that.

Two near chances off the top of my head: Benteke's free header off the Bacuna cross and the ball from Weimann to nearly play in Kozak on goal. But hey...I'm sure Lambert is just trying to formulate ways to insult our intelligence. 

As well as Weimann putting it wide at the near post in the first half.

I thought we played well against Chelsk as well last season Isa.

I am still uncertain about PL tbh.Benteke has been a superb signing, and i really like Bacuna, Sylla, and Okore.Luna and Vlaar look solid, but i think he is far too loyal to players like Weswood and Lowton last year.Kozak was a poor signing, as he is not what we needed.I said in the summer i would have got Remy on loan and bought Tom Ince to replace/compete with Gabby and Weimann, and i think we could have used Kozaks money more wisely.

But we are not far off a reasonable team, a couple of cute signings/loans. we are easily top 8, and apart from Townsend, i was'nt overly impressed with Spuds tbh.

We did play quite well that game but still managed to throw away a lead with a man extra which is why I didn't include it.

I am still uncertain about PL tbh.Benteke has been a superb signing, and i really like Bacuna, Sylla, and Okore.Luna and Vlaar look solid, but i think he is far too loyal to players like Weswood and Lowton last year.Kozak was a poor signing, as he is not what we needed.I said in the summer i would have got Remy on loan and bought Tom Ince to replace/compete with Gabby and Weimann, and i think we could have used Kozaks money more wisely.

But we are not far off a reasonable team, a couple of cute signings/loans. we are easily top 8, and apart from Townsend, i was'nt overly impressed with Spuds tbh.

Way too early to write off Kozak.

We did play quite well that game but still managed to throw away a lead with a man extra which is why I didn't include it.

Beneteke was sent off when we were 1 nil up.

Life would be so much easier and enjoyable at home if he could just sign a playmaker in January who can actually come in and make an immediate impact rather than being another long term project.

They don't all cost 20 odd million.

Anyone else a bit bored with watching us chase the opposition while they keep the ball?

I don't seem to really get chance to watch us with the ball much.

This seemed like something that was improving but after the first 3 games it's been awful.

Yes I am-Lets go out & play 1/2 touch football every week & go out & outpass teams like Arsenal & Spurs

Anyone else a bit bored with watching us chase the opposition while they keep the ball?

This seemed like something that was improving but after the first 3 games it's been awful.

Yes I am-Lets go out & play 1/2 touch football every week & go out & outpass teams like Arsenal & Spurs

What about teams like Norwich and Hull?

I don't expect us to out play top teams but against Chelsea and Liverpool we kept the ball well at times and tried to play football. This seems to have stopped since then.

You're a little defensive. It's ok to not say everything's great all the time. Nothing bad will happen.

Have to say i agree Big John, i want to go & watch Villa play, especially at home, not just watch the opposition stack up some crazy & rather embarrassing possession stats. Even on the rare occasion we get a result it feels like we've robbed the opposition as with Man City and that just feels wrong for a home team. Also it's hardly going to encourage fans to go to Villa Park which has to be damaging attendances. 

As it stands however we have really only one bad home defeat i guess which was against Newcastle and we kind of made up for that with the Man City result. Also the Liverpool loss could have easily been different so i will reserve judgement until we have played half a dozen of the lesser teams at home. 

SACK LAMBERT TOMORROWISA knows bestEven the goalscoring celebrations against Man City were not real according to some of the "experts" on here

Remember folks, you can't criticise any aspect of the Lambert regime or it automatically means you want him gone.

Lambert after the game today... "I thought they scored against the run of play in the second half. We were playing really well, with confidence and the crowd were really up for it." :huh: 

I know he has to try and put a positive outlook on the game but does he think anyone who has just watched the match are going to believe him.

I'm not long back from Villa Park and I'd say Lamberts assessment is a fair one. We were most definitely on top in the second half when Spurs scored. Pushing forward as we were there was always a chance Spurs could grab another and so it proved. The second goal pretty much knocked the stuffing out of us and the result was never in doubt after that. In all fairness I think we did OK today and Lambert got the best out of what he had at his disposal given the level of the opposition. Spurs have spent a fortune since Villas Boas arrived and he also inherited a good group of players and Lambert in comparison during the same time has spent very little and inherited a lot of over paid, over the hill tripe. Spurs are now sadly on a different level to us and that won't change unless Lambert gets significant sums both in terms of fees and wages. If he doesn't then we will continue to be what we will be this season - a mid table side who will do their best and be capable of the odd shock result.

Mark

I agree that Spurs are a much superior side and that whatever we did with our weak squad we were more likely to lose. However Lambert brought in two lightweight midfielders in KEA and Westwood who were exposed as being very weak on the ball compared to their Spurs counterparts - I wish he had started Sylla who is much stronger. The results show that the counter attacking tactics at home have failed pretty miserably but the lack of quality in our side probably means it is a forced necessity. It worked against Man City but as most agree we were lucky to get the win.

As for PLs comments I think he saw a different game. We did have a very short spell in control but they basically outplayed us all over the park - as usual!

Mike I think you could make an argument for Sylla starting but wheter he'd have made much difference I'd doubt in all fairness. Bottom line is that all over the pitch and on the bench Spurs had far better players than us. Certainly in terms of the first 11 the only player I felt really held his own was Delph. The rest of our lads whilst putting in nothing less than 100% effort and good shifts just were not a match for Spurs.

That's what way over 120mill investment on top of a very good starting base of players has got Villas Boas since he arrived at Spurs. A very good squad of players who will in my opinion finish in the top 4.

By contrast in the same period that has what approx 30 mill of investment, whilst slashing the wage and inheriting a poor squad has got Paul Lambert since he arrived at Aston Villa. For my money Lambert is doing a decent job given what he inherited and what he has been given. The guy isn't a miracle worker though and without substantial investment our fortunes won't get much better than where they stand currently - mid table fodder at best.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

I posted the same in the Westwood thread but it needs to be here too.

I'm dumbfounded why Lambert lets Westwood take corners. It's mind-boggling. Always slow floaters, often overhit, that are easy to defend. God-awful. It's a real concern that this hasnt been addressed.

I still like him - but whether he can take us much beyond lower mid table is doubtful IMO.

I don't think he terribly well in the last window - and I said so at the time. Luna is better than Bennett - but still looks a bit short at this level. Bacuna deservedly displaced Lowton at RB - but again offers honest en-devour rather than solid defending. The purchase of Kozak looks as bizarre now as it did at the time. Take today for example, would we have been any weaker with Helenuis in place of Kozak ? - The £5M spent on Kozak should have been spent on another CB and\or a attacking midfielder. Yeah sure Kozak may come good in time - but there are glaring holes in the 2013/4 squad that needed to be plugged before buying a playing who may come good in a couple of seasons time.

That said - with what we are investing - we are where we are - the real answer is better players - until those start to arrive in decent number I can't see much progress.

Defensively we look better - but there seems a change of plan - the ball is pretty much booted out defence without  to much attention of it finding a villa shirt.