Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I thinner "This is" is still at the very end

'THIS IS ASTON VILLA', which some thought odd, has been removed. The new 'VILLA PARK HOME OF ASTON VILLA FOOTBALL CLUB' seems fitting to me.

'THIS IS VILLA PARK' is nearest the pitch. Nothing wrong with that statement, IMO.

Either way, I'm not one to get too hung up on these things but I do think the new tunnel looks good and is an improvement on the old. I'd like to see it for myself but now the General's gone I'll have to pay for the next tour.

Big test for him tomorrow, will show his managerial potential.

Spurs have taken the piss out of us on their last two visits to VP, I really don't want to see a third occasion.

Just hope I don't turn up and see our usual way of playing at VP and Spurs stroll to a comfortable win especially as they had the ineptitude of losing 3 nil at home to West Ham in the last game.

Be interesting to see what he comes up with, Man. City game was a pleasant surprise.

Just out of interest, what do you guys think he actually said to Benteke to get him to stay?

I'm betting a lot of the players trust and respect Lambert so he probably just told Benteke that staying would be better for his career and explained why.

Just out of interest, what do you guys think he actually said to Benteke to get him to stay?

Ian Culverhouse held a gun to his head and Lambert assured Benteke either his brains or his signature would be on the contract.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 4

Or no-one met our valuation.

There was still a huge part of the transfer window left when Benteke signed an improved contract. More than enough time for clubs to meet our valuation if he hadn't been persuaded to sign.

As we've already seen signing a contract does not insure the player staying if a suitable bid comes in.

No-one met our valuation.

There was still a huge part of the transfer window left when Benteke signed an improved contract. More than enough time for clubs to meet our valuation if he hadn't been persuaded to sign.

As we've already seen signing a contract does not insure the player staying if a suitable bid comes in.

Obviously. Nobody is arguing otherwise, obviously nobody met the valuation.

The point in question though was what did Lambert do to convince him to sign a new deal given there was a large amount of the window left and there was still plenty of time for a team to meet it.

The discussion point had nothing to do with his valuation.

It is extremely rare for a player to move within weeks of signing a new contract. Signing the contract meant that it would take an even bigger offer to get him.

If Benteke had not signed then there is every possibility that a club would have made an attempt to buy him.

I think Lambert would have also given Wilmots a call and asked him to put pressure on Benteke to stay. 

It is better for the Belgium national team in the run up to a world cup having their star striker playing week in week out and if Benteke was hearing the same message from his national team manager as well as his club manager it might have been enough to bring him round.  

He probably told him to look around at his team mates and the seasons second half performances and told him to be part of the revolution, he might of told him to look at Lukaku and see how he is treated by a big club and reminded him it is world cup year and he does not need the same treatment.

Obviously. Nobody is arguing otherwise, obviously nobody met the valuation.

The point in question though was what did Lambert do to convince him to sign a new deal given there was a large amount of the window left and there was still plenty of time for a team to meet it.

The discussion point had nothing to do with his valuation.

It would have been a contributing factor would it not if the rumours concerning Spurs and Benteke's agent were correct.

It would therefore be a very blinkered view not to consider that also in the discussion as you put it.

Morpheus is the new Con. Can't help but troll every thread and turn it into a negative whine fest. Can't even bring himself to say he likes the new tunnel

Haha. I said the same thing before. And having read the last page I just thought it again. Con seemed a bit more innocent in his trolling. I think Morphy likes to wind people up. I think he enjoys playing on the internet a bit much. 

Morpheus is the new Con. Can't help but troll every thread and turn it into a negative whine fest. Can't even bring himself to say he likes the new tunnel

No it looks well all right but it just reminds me of a premier night at a cinema. Very plush.