Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I still wouldn't give him one until some results have been produced, what I will say though is that he has obviously been working his ass off all summer so far and deserves 10/10 for his efforts

I was very critical of him around the Bradford games but I never wanted him sacked as I always had a feeling he'd turn things around

I am a little bit in love with him. He seems to possess the gift of common sense, which in reality is anything but.

The only time that I recall him taking a trip to the Bizarro Land where most managers seem to reside was the "three at the back" thing, which was infuriating.

It's really encouraging to see that he seems to realise the areas of the team that need strengthening and actually tries to address them, and does so quickly, the way a sensible human being would do. I'm sure someone like Wenger would currently be trying to grow a new defence from magic beans if he was in charge.

• Like 1

Its still early days and this hard work and shrewd business moves have to find their way on to the pitch in the way of good performances and subsequently results.

The signs are very good and he does seem to have the knack of making decisions understandable/feasible much like Fergie. There will be mistakes as with all good managers...but they get more right than wrong.

I am fully behind his " young hungry" players prophecy, but like all plans, they ultimately have to work...There is an acid test to all this.

What I like about him he does seem to be fearless with his decisions and appears very sure footed in what he is doing. I was most impressed with his interview alongside Alan McAnally before the Euro Cup Final, seemed very clear in his plans and confident of himself.

so if were in a relegation battle like last season.. is that acceptable? or should we be aiming for midtable this season.

I wonder what his personal target will be and what the fans expectations will be. Or better yet.. Randy's.

Its no good looking for a house/car until you have the money.

point being we need to improve our game before we start falling over our bootlaces about where we are going to finish.

When we can keep the ball, move the ball, pass and move, score goals regularly from outfield play...when we have reasonable control of a game, when our first touch is greeted with a "wow under our breath and when we can trap a ball with aplomb and move it in almost the same movement....it will be reasonable to have a look at the league to see where we are...glance at a cup with an air of hope and getting a bit of pace in our stride on the way to the match.

first things first, boys.

PS The League is just a measurement of the whole season, it can be a world of difference what you do in August compared with May especially for a developing team like ours.

The games tell you almost everything and its roughly where we are at any given time.

He's been better off the pitch than on it.

The work he's done within the club with regards to player selection and recruitment has been both refreshing and encouraging. He's brought in young and hungry players, on sensible wages, while getting rid of the over paid prima-donnas who have plagued our wage bill over recent seasons.

He's not exactly a tactical genius though. I hope he goes into this season having learnt that there are better formations than 352, and that when your team needs a goal - the answer isn't always to play with 6 strikers. He also needs to steady up our defense and learn when to play a bit more conservatively, because no one enjoys watching Chelsea knocking 8 past their team.

Overall he has us pointing in the right direction, but there's going to be plenty more lows along the way.

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 4

He's been better off the pitch than on it.

The work he's done within the club with regards to player selection and recruitment has been both refreshing and encouraging. He's brought in young and hungry players, on sensible wages, while getting rid of the over paid prima-donnas who have plagued our wage bill over recent seasons.

He's not exactly a tactical genius though. I hope he goes into this season having learnt that there are better formations than 352, and that when your team needs a goal - the answer isn't always to play with 6 strikers. He also needs to steady up our defense and learn when to play a bit more conservatively, because no one enjoys watching Chelsea knocking 8 past their team.

Overall he has us pointing in the right direction, but there's going to be plenty more lows along the way.

Spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

Mackay has been in his job longer too - if you include teams not in the prem at the time :)

Wenger - Arsenal - 17 seasons (Sep '96)
Pardew - Newcastle - 3 seasons (Dec '10)
Allardyce - West Ham - 2 seasons (Jun '11)
Jol - Fulham - 2 seasons (Jun '11)
Mackay - Cardiff - 2 seasons (Jun '11)

Rodgers - Liverpool - 1 season (Jun '12)

LAMBERT - VILLA - 1 season (Jun '12)

Hughton - Norwich - 1 season (Jun '12)

Bruce - Hull - 1 season (Jun '12)

Clarke - West Brom - 1 season (Jun '12)

Laudrup - Swansea - 1 season (Jun '12)

AVB - Tottenham - 1 season (Jul '12)

Holloway - Crystal Palace - 1 season (Jul '12)

Pochettino - Southampton - 0 seasons (Jan '13)

Di Canio - Sunderland - 0 seasons (Mar '13)

Moyes - Man Utd - 0 seasons (May '13)

Hughes - Stoke - 0 seasons (May '13)

Mourinho - Chelsea (second stint) (Jun '13)

Martinez - Everton - 0 seasons (Jun '13)

Pellegrini - Man City - 0 seasons (Jun '13)

Thanks guys. I think we can discount Mackay because it's not a season in the Premier League if you're in the Championship, leaving Lambert 6th overall after one season. Madness.

I really hope he sticks around for at least three seasons, because by then he'll have a squad entirely filled with players he bought or kept rather than players he inherited. There must come a point where your performances are improved by actually having the players you want to play the system you want to play.

I also think that the "buy young" idea means he'll be more likely to stay than the average manager. It's not like being a chequebook manager where you can just buy half a new team immediately - the buying young philosophy takes time to bear fruit and hopefully Lambert will want to be around to see the results.

I like Paul Lambert's philosophy and attitude, though he can be surprisingly rash at times. In spite of the tribulations of last season, it was quite exciting towards the end of the campaign. The way we broke forward at times was absolutely thrilling. This could well be another bumpy season, but I can see the plan, and I get the feeling that manager and owner work together well and are committed to that plan.