Paul Lambert

Pilchard

yeah the 3-5-2 was unfairly criticized, obviously it didnt work though we beat Liverpool BUT he needed that extra body to make up for inexperience. If Vlaar or even Dunne had of been fit we wouldnt have seen it.

we had a back 4 of Lowton-Clark -Baker - Bennett and had about 50 premier league games between them at that stage 

Two of those players were purchased by Lambert when we needed more experience at the back while Dunne was injured and should have been replaced even with a loanee when finances were tight. He also purchased a very poor DM when we needed better.

You simply cannot now proportion all of the blame to something else based on blind allegiance to the manager.  

yeah the 3-5-2 was unfairly criticized, obviously it didnt work though we beat Liverpool BUT he needed that extra body to make up for inexperience. If Vlaar or even Dunne had of been fit we wouldnt have seen it.

we had a back 4 of Lowton-Clark -Baker - Bennett and had about 50 premier league games between them at that stage 

Two of those players were purchased by Lambert when we needed more experience at the back while Dunne was injured and should have been replaced even with a loanee when finances were tight. He also purchased a very poor DM when we needed better.

You simply cannot now proportion all of the blame to something else based on blind allegiance to the manager.  

jesus! you could find a negative in........you know the rest. Every thread, every opportunity.

Not surprised you think Sylla is a very poor DM, your ability to spot a player has been proven to be pants.

• Like 2

What the **** are you on about

• Like 1

Perhaps he means KEA? In which case I'd agree. He is a poor DM. 

Well yeah that makes sense. But in the context of his comment, it definitely reads that he means Sylla.

Perhaps he means KEA? In which case I'd agree. He is a poor DM.

Well yeah that makes sense. But in the context of his comment, it definitely reads that he means Sylla.

I don't think his comment refers to Sylla because we didn't buy him until January. So a comment criticising Lambert's purchase of a poor DM in a 3-5-2 system would suggest it was El Ahmadi. We didn't even start using Sylla until some time after January and IIRC by the time Sylla became a mainstay, we had moved away from 3-5-2.

Indeed. He also mentions two other players purchased by the manager in the summer. 

Except I don't actually remember KEA being part of the team around then. Wasn't he injured? So the point is moot either way. His "DM" was either injured or not even at the club yet. 

KEA was our best player in the opening 2 games IIRC then went off the boil a bit. Or was he injured? I can't even remember.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I don't think Lambert actually likes role midfielders, I think he prefers players who can operate in both defence and attack effectively. Ultimately this means he's got a midfield 3 who are ok at defending and ok at attacking and ultimately leaves the team lack in both departments. Remember Sylla had 2 assists last year! I think he values work rate in the middle of the park as the most important thing.

• Like 1

I don't think Lambert actually likes role midfielders, I think he prefers players who can operate in both defence and attack effectively. Ultimately this means he's got a midfield 3 who are ok at defending and ok at attacking and ultimately leaves the team lack in both departments. Remember Sylla had 2 assists last year! I think he values work rate in the middle of the park as the most important thing.

Is 2 assists terrible for a player who's basically a ball winning midfielder that only played less than half the season?

Is 2 assists terrible for a player who's basically a ball winning midfielder that only played less than half the season?

I was trying to praise him, saying he's not merely a DM in the Claude Makelele mould, but can get forward as well.

Ron Saunders was also a fan of work rate..me too.

Messi is not exactly statue like.

No substitute of hard graft.