Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Well, I have to say I'm impressed.

The guy has totally transformed the squad, from ridding the overpaid journeymen for hire in the squad with those still here knowing they're heading for the door if THEY dont make the decision to jump first.

The club financially in astute signings. Lowton and Benteke alone have "made" probably 30mill "on paper". Big difference to those Ellis "amortising" years where the value of the squad just fell like a new BMW.

The attitude around the club to a proper one of keen youth, not quite the "Ellis academy" of cheapness,but of a squad who seem more together than most of those in the past. Seem a lack of ego's, but some leaders like Vlaar emerging.

A sense of purpose and direction.

The ability to negotiate and win in the boardroom as well as on the pitch with contracts, and winning the trust of the chairman.

Far more "press friendly". Everyhting Mcleish said, whether well intentioned, always just "came out wrong".

That he has enough self belief that at the worst point of the season, he kept a cool head, with the plan he had and saw us just come through.

And all in 12 months.

And there's evidence the man himself knows his own failings and is addressing them in appointing coaches to deal with the defensive issues. Not so arrogant as to believe he is the finished article.

As long as the squad has learned from last season, and 50% of the new signings work out, (all managers get a % of signings wrong. Even Wenger and Ferguson, next season could be genuinely "interesting", even if the top places are up for grabs.

Could be the best manager since Saunders?  Given the league wasn't so "fixed" back then, could be a better manager than Saunders and still not get top 6, realistically. But theres no doubt we're heading up the league next year. And success begets success.

Don't know about that. Just look at the job Graham Taylor did first time around. Just relegated, the club were a shambles. Then Promotion first season and a top 2 finish within 2 years before leaving the club for England. I do like Lambert though!

Just think what he'll be able to do given a proper run at it? Once the over paid deadwood is gone and he can really make some moves in the market without one hand tied behind his back. Hopefully we can hold on to him and he can really shape the club.

New deal to him last season you guys wanted him out shocked. I am fearing about next season under him. We need experience player we cant go true this kids yet again we just cant take the gamble can we.

I've never wanted him out. Experience(d) player(s)? From now on our players gain their experience (and earn their big contracts) with us. Buying experienced players when you're not one of the big boys puts you on a hiding to nothing.

Edited by ArteSuave

New deal to him last season you guys wanted him out shocked. I am fearing about next season under him. We need experience player we cant go true this kids yet again we just cant take the gamble can we.

Don't know if you'd noticed but quite a lot has happened since January...

still early days so remember that.

People are only reacting to what's been happening. We have been gradually improving since January and he must have something about him to get us out of that mess.

With regards to the experience, we already have that to an extent. The problem was never experienced players but the lack of experience playing together. We have that now. Most of the players that will be lining up for us against Arsenal will be the same ones we finished last season with.

Absolutely stunning first 12 months in the job.

New squad, kept our best players (and I dont just mean Benteke, it would have been feasible that Lowton, Guzan, Benteke, Weimann and possibly even Westwood could have been chased, not only have they been kept, they've all signed Contract extensions) had a very exciting season in the mean time too. Magnificent Highs and Soul Crushing lows.

New contract indeed.

Don't know if you'd noticed but quite a lot has happened since January...

still early days so remember that.

People are only reacting to what's been happening. We have been gradually improving since January and he must have something about him to get us out of that mess.

With regards to the experience, we already have that to an extent. The problem was never experienced players but the lack of experience playing together. We have that now. Most of the players that will be lining up for us against Arsenal will be the same ones we finished last season with.

Indeed. 

Football moves quick, literally and figuratively. Only a few hours ago we were losing our 20 goal a season striker, things change. It's better to roll with the situation than cling on to memories of the past. Learn from it sure, but moving forward as a club is what we need to do. That includes us as fans.  

New deal to him last season you guys wanted him out shocked.

That's just not true is it. A few on here were losing their heads a little back in mid January when in all fairness we were on a terrible run.

In the main though the vast majority of Villa fans have stuck behind the manager. Speaking for myself I have said since the day he was appointed he was my number one choice as I think he has that something special about him. He just felt, and still feels, like a perfect fit for us.

He is a young and still relatively inexperienced manager and therefore understandably made a few mistakes last season. I think we could all see by the end of it though he was learning from those mistakes and things were falling in to place nicely.

I am not going to shout it too loudly but I have a sneaky feeling next season could well be very special.

Edited by markavfc40

Absolutely stunning first 12 months in the job.

New squad, kept our best players (and I dont just mean Benteke, it would have been feasible that Lowton, Guzan, Benteke, Weimann and possibly even Westwood could have been chased, not only have they been kept, they've all signed Contract extensions) had a very exciting season in the mean time too. Magnificent Highs and Soul Crushing lows.

New contract indeed.

This.

To have kept hold of Benteke now is the icing on the cake, we've kept all of our best performers and managed to tie them down with contract extensions. They've performed, we've rewarded them.

Very basic things that we've noticed as fans have been fixed that could've easily been overlooked, we've got a squad full of young and hungry players, we're still in the Premier League, we play an attacking style of football and our wage budget has been reduced dramatically.

All in 12 months, it's quite something to be honest. If the next 12 months are anything similar then I will definitely say Lambert is on his way to being our best manager within recent memory.

I think Lambert has the potential to be the best Villa manager in the last 30 years but I don't think he's there yet. Certainly the best manager we've had in a decade though.

Yeah that's probably fair. 

If he won something he would shoot up the standings. 

A certain Alan Hansen said something similar about a certain team that plays in red that went on to win the Premier League with the same kids.

I am by no means saying that we even have an optimistic shout of winning the premier league this year, I'm pointing out that having youth dominate a team does not in any way mean we cannot get back to winning trophies.

Edited by AshVillain

It's a real pity there was a tiny minority intent on calling for his head. I hope now they let go of that and accept that they should be backing him

It wasn't a tiny minority. I think that's rewriting history. Even I at one stage "lost it". It's nice to be wrong once in a while, it keeps you on an even keel.

• Like 1

It's a real pity there was a tiny minority intent on calling for his head. I hope now they let go of that and accept that they should be backing him

Now now Richard, let's be fair things looked pretty bad back then. He looked absolutely clueless and the massive turnaround certainly wasn't looking likely.

Anyone that hasn't changed their mind now though is bonkers.

• Like 1