The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Better to keep him as a third-choice keeper just in case either Guzan or the latter Steer gets injured. We've got rid of 2 of the bigger earners in bomb squad (Ireland and Bent), Ireland's 65k for ever and Bent until at the very least the start of next season. We do have Hutton (not even in the 25 man squad) and Given, but thinking they will both maybe be off as part of the emergency loan system for the lower leagues.

The good thing about having Given still on the pay roll is that it will act as a constant reminder of our folly & not to make that contractual error again in the future.

Anyone who forgets the lessons of history are condemned to repeat them again in the future.

Let's hope we have finally got the message.

• 2 months later...

Did Paul Lambert ever give a reason for outcasting Shay like this? It makes no sense to me. Why would you just cast aside a good experienced keeper who you are still paying? I understand wanting to get rid of his big wages but why not use him now that he stayed. Does Shay even train with the first team? Does he even train at all? 

Did Paul Lambert ever give a reason for outcasting Shay like this? It makes no sense to me. Why would you just cast aside a good experienced keeper who you are still paying? I understand wanting to get rid of his big wages but why not use him now that he stayed. Does Shay even train with the first team? Does he even train at all? 

Does he need to provide a reason?

In his opinion, Shay is better off away from the first team.

Probably appearance fees are a factor, same as Hutton.

If Hutton or Given wanted first team football they could put in a transfer request and they could get it. But they dont because they dont believe they will ever get paid as much as just milking their current contract with us.

Shrug. We signed em so what they are doing is fair, but dont ask me to feel sorry for them.

Â