U.S. Politics

maqroll

Surprised this wasn't mentioned yesterday, but there were several key elections being held (VA/NJ each had a governor race). I believe that democrats had a very strong win throughout (won both governorships), and several barriers were broken last night. The first openly trans-gender person won a VA house seat from one of the most anti-lgbtq representatives. 

It was a little less good news than one would like, e.g., the vote in VA was split essentially the same as the presidential election and Christy had taken such a huge dump in the pool that it would have taken a miracle for an R to win. Some minor wins as you highlighted, another was that the former boyfriend of that newscaster who was murdered live on TV a few yrs back got elected too.

Dem leadership still stinks the place out and is really holding them back or equivalently proping up the R position.

I think the Virginia picture is a lot more positive than you're painting it.  Clinton won by something like 5 points and Northam won by 9.  Although Trump and the right wing media are spinning it as being a result of the Republican not embracing Trumpism enough (he didn't want Trump to appear beside him on the campaign trail), his campaign ads were a mixture of fear-mongering and dog whistles right out of Trump's playbook.   He was obviously never going to win with only Trump's base, so he had to try to appeal to the note-quite-batshit-crazy wing of the Repubs and some independents.  I think the Trump base remains plenty energized across the country in general, based on polls showing how delusional they are about Trump's performance and success to date, and I think his attack ads ensured a pretty good turnout among that group.  That tells me that the Dems picked up 4-5 points from last year in an environment where the right was far less apathetic than typical for the party in power in an off-year election.

The real news, though, is in the state legislature.  The Republicans went in holding something like 68 of 100  seats and are looking like they will end up with a razor-thin majority.   This is in a state where, like so many, Republicans gained a disproportionate advantage from  being in charge during the redistricting following the 2010 census.   The Dems were thinking they would be doing great to flip 6-8 seats and ended up flipping at least 14.  

• Like 3

Historic win for transgender people  in the state. Historic for the country as well. Virginia is really Ground Zero for the current culture/political wars in the US. Very progressive north and east, very regressive south and west. Charlottesville makes total sense in this context.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Virginia is really Ground Zero for the current culture/political wars in the US. Very progressive north and east, very regressive south and west. Charlottesville makes total sense in this context.

I cannot stress enough how true this is. I was born and have lived my entire life in northern VA and currently attend university in the southern part of the state. They are polar opposites in regards to the political spectrum. 

• Like 2

So two days ago, while the local elections hogged the headlines around here, a MI senate committee got all creative with some long sought gun reform. This was voted on yesterday and now heads to the desk of our final term governor. He has previously demonstrated a fully functioning spine, but I fear, as he no longer has to fear dear voter, that said spine will be put back in storage. 

1) Allowing concealed carry in schools and other such endangered venues. Previously open carry was allowed but this resulted in schools closing due to thinking a madman turned up. Finally good guys with guns can save us from evil.

2) Allowing 18-20 years to obtain a concealed carry permit. That's right, no beer, but here stuff this gun in your trousers instead, but make sure to cover it up.

3) There was a third point too, but I'm really all wtf at this point.

Who says politicians don't get things done.

I believe there will be an opt out. As in, a school/university/hospital can declare itself a gun free zone and rely on those CCL folks to pinky swear not to be all ready to save us from evil at all times. Fun times.

'Mary Was a Teenager.' Alabama Republican Uses Jesus to Defend Roy Moore

While some Republicans at the national level spoke out against Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore on Thursday in the wake of allegations that he initiated sexual contact with a 14-year-old when he was in his 30s, Republicans from his own state seemed to have a different view — with one citing Jesus’ parents to defend Moore’s alleged behavior.

“Take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus,” Alabama state auditor Jim Ziegler told the Washington Examiner on Thursday.

Four women have told the Washington Post that Moore pursued relationships with them when they were teenagers and he was an adult. The women were between the ages of 14 and 18, while Moore was in his 30s at the time, according to the Post.

http://time.com/5017940/roy-moore-sexual-contact-underage-jesus-defense-jim-ziegler/

What the actual **** is the GOP

Age of Consent

Always worth reminding yourself that the USA is a different place to here.

You take the attitude to health care, gun law, end of days style religious beliefs, minimum legal age for marriage and a few dozen other things and you realise that it isn't just us but with a funny accent.

You can't say too much about him tapping up kids for sex, when he could have got in there a year or three earlier and married one of them.

I believe Saint John Peel of the BBC married a 15 year old whilst in Texas. 

I think Donald Trump and 'Fake News' is the best thing to have happened to the US. This is a public who needed to be woken up, I mean the majority of white women voted Trump in, when it is clear to any sensible person that Trump is an enemy of women. Poor people voted him in, when he is an enemy of poor people. Half of this country is officially stupid. But now they have a chance to put it right, I am sure the sensible half will take it. 

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Age of Consent

Always worth reminding yourself that the USA is a different place to here.

You take the attitude to health care, gun law, end of days style religious beliefs, minimum legal age for marriage and a few dozen other things and you realise that it isn't just us but with a funny accent.

You can't say too much about him tapping up kids for sex, when he could have got in there a year or three earlier and married one of them.

I believe Saint John Peel of the BBC married a 15 year old whilst in Texas. 

You blooming can say something about him.  Regardless about the information on the link, the behavior he has been accused of would constitute sexual abuse in the state he was in at the time of the incident. He is alleged to have, as a 32 year old judge offered to babysit whilst the mother went into court and having isolated the girl encourage her to meet him without informing her mother.  It is predatory behavior of the most despicable kind if true.  He was a judge, he was an outspoken advocate on the protection of vulnerable minors from the more harmful elements of society (in his eyes it was gay people but lets not get into the ways we already know he is a horrible human being) and had every opportunity to understand what he was doing was not just morally wrong, but straight up illegal.  They only possible defense he has is not "hey, she was pretty close to legal anyway in some states" it is if the allegations are false.  Even in a state with a 14 year old age of consent the girls evidence is that she did not want to have what happened happen to her so let's not mistake this for any sort of consensual relationship.

Your point that he could have got in there a year or three earlier I'm really not sure about, are you saying there are places in the USA that it is ok to marry an 11 year old?

6 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Your point that he could have got in there a year or three earlier I'm really not sure about, are you saying there are places in the USA that it is ok to marry an 11 year old?

In many states, there's no minimum age for marriage if there's judicial approval. Mostly this is used for people that are 16/17, but there's no minimum.

Girls as young as 10 have been married to adult men under these laws. And we're not talking decades ago, the younger ever was a 10 year old girl from Tennessee, in 2001...There are even many reports of children being married to men that raped them.

America is **** backwards in so many respects.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In many states, there's no minimum age for marriage if there's judicial approval. Mostly this is used for people that are 16/17, but there's no minimum.

Girls as young as 10 have been married to adult men under these laws. And we're not talking decades ago, the younger ever was a 10 year old girl from Tennessee, in 2001...There are even many reports of children being married to men that raped them.

I shall add this to the list of things that is making me despair about the state of the world then.  It has been a good year or so for that list, it is growing at unprecedented rates.

I shall go back the the video of Trump trying to say "diversity" to cheer me up.

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The most amusing (for want of a better word)thing is that these sort of people are so anti-ISIS; anti Muslims for exactly the same behaviour that they practise.

Y'all Qaeda.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

I think Donald Trump and 'Fake News' is the best thing to have happened to the US. This is a public who needed to be woken up, I mean the majority of white women voted Trump in, when it is clear to any sensible person that Trump is an enemy of women. Poor people voted him in, when he is an enemy of poor people. Half of this country is officially stupid. But now they have a chance to put it right, I am sure the sensible half will take it. 

I'm worried that Trump is doing lasting damage. Up and coming Republicans will use his populist methods to gain power, and "fake news" will continue to be used as a default argument used to deflect and obfuscate. I've seen the Cheeto and the damage done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The most amusing (for want of a better word)thing is that these sort of people are so anti-ISIS; anti Muslims for exactly the same behaviour that they practise.

Y'all Qaeda.

It's always been projection. I've been saying forever that they never really objected to all the things they bash Muslims for. They were just convenient sticks to beat them with. As if they give a ***** about gays or women or pedophilia.

Vanilla ISIS.

• Like 1

Â