U.S. Politics

maqroll

7 hours ago, meregreen said:

I'm flying to Florida Thursday. God knows what I'll find when I get there. Been in a couple of Hurricanes before, even had a Twister pass me by in Tennessee. But a category 5 is scary. 

Keep an eye on Hurricane Jose, it's heading that way too!

Actually, Jose is predicted to putter out in open water.

Meanwhile, my stubborn uncle who lives alone south of Tampa is refusing to leave his apartment, and my other uncle is thinking about driving there from Orlando with my cousins to extract him!

No other President of the United States, certainly not Obama, has ever reduced a cat 5 on U.S. soil, a cat 5, they tell me that’s the bigly one, down to just a storm, just a storm mind you, on U.S. soil. NO. OTHER. PRESIDENT. Of course, that won’t be reported but we all know it. What can you do? A cat 5 down to a storm. On Trump’s watch. Can’t argue with that.

• Haha 1

The Fake News Machine

Veles used to make porcelain for the whole of Yugoslavia. Now it makes fake news.

This sleepy riverside town in Macedonia is home to dozens of website operators who churn out bogus stories designed to attract the attention of Americans. Each click adds cash to their bank accounts.

The scale is industrial: Over 100 websites were tracked here during the final weeks of the 2016 U.S. election campaign, producing fake news that mostly favored Republican candidate for President Donald Trump.

CNN

On that, an article from a library spokesman ( in advocacy of libraries obviously )  here is worth a read generally (here) but  relevant to the above I guess:

.....So we as individual users of information have allowed our emotional selves to reinforce divisions in society. And partly in response to this, Governments and companies - seeking to appeal to us as voters and consumers - have further exploited those divisions and in the process, reinforced them.

So in my view, fake news is not the product of nation states and the media moguls seeking to rule through misinformation - it is the product which we have demonstrated to nation states and the news media is effective in securing our support – our clicks and our votes. It is striking that according to research conducted by Buzzfeed, between August and November 2016, real news stories about the US Election generated around 7.3m shares, likes and impressions on Facebook, whereas ‘fake news’ stories in the same period generated over 8.7m shares, likes and impressions.

In other words, through our clicks and our shares, our networking behaviours and consumer behaviour, we are actively asking to be lied to. By using information against our perceived adversaries, we are actively devaluing the currency of truth...

Who is defining those news stories as "real" and "fake'?

I also think there's a fine line between what people read because they believe it's news and what people read because it's entertainment - decades of news presented in a form that makes it accessible and entertaining have educated viewers to make choices on what they want to open.

If I saw a story entitled "Clinton in sex scandal with monkey" - I'm likely to open it out of curiosity. I'm very unlikely to believe that Hillary Clinton has actually been involved in a sex scandal with a monkey.

Fake news is a good thing - it encourages people to evaluate ALL of the news they read before deciding on its likely accuracy. The traditional news media hate that.

• Like 1

there's a google docs page attached to the research that lists the real from the fake. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/viral-fake-election-news-outperformed-real-news-on-facebook?utm_term=.wmnb1A9KD#.we5gEWe8m

I think the criteria for fake is "demonstrably untrue bollocks." Obviously the real news stories will still be full of their usual angles, but not based on just false data / information. 

A quick glance down the headlines does include opinion pieces from established news networks as part of the 'real' category, but the fake ones are ones like Pope endorses Bernie / Reagan's last words were do not vote for trump etc.

Trump has his wife introduce him, shakes her hand, then puts his hand in the small of her back and pushes her away.

Watching him is so strange.  It's like seeing a very small child in a suit.  Lots of words and gestures that just seem oddly out of place and inappropriate.

On 14/09/2017 at 17:01, OutByEaster? said:

If I saw a story entitled "Clinton in sex scandal with monkey" - I'm likely to open it out of curiosity. I'm very unlikely to believe that Hillary Clinton has actually been involved in a sex scandal with a monkey.

Fake news is a good thing - it encourages people to evaluate ALL of the news they read before deciding on its likely accuracy. The traditional news media hate that.

The Clinton / monkey thing is bananas, but not a hanging offence.

your second point, surely you don't mean it like it's written? Fake news is not a good thing. Another word for fake news is "lies". It's one thing to present different opinion, based around analysis of facts, but quite another to "invent" facts. Furthermore the more there is fake news, the less people will trust any news and the worse off our judgement and decision making will be. 

3 hours ago, bickster said:

There's two sorts of "fake" news, satire like newsthump etc and made up malevolent bollocks . It's the latter that is the issue

I know what you mean, but Satire and comedy aren't "news" of any type - they're what it says on the tin.

Fake news is meant to deceive, it's lies. It's diabolical. It's a weapon, basically.

• Like 1

Â