U.S. Politics

maqroll

4 hours ago, Straggler said:

And if the rapist turns in his victim for having an abortion, he can make £10,000 profit on the rape.

The bible tells us that a rapist must marry his victim. I wonder if they are already preparing that bit of legislation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, limpid said:

The bible tells us that a rapist must marry his victim. I wonder if they are already preparing that bit of legislation.

If Texas is a community property state, the woman could divorce the rapist after she gets out of jail and net $5000 from the  abortion rather than having to pay (assuming shed didn't get turned in until after it was completed).  The GOP probably view this as being good for women who've been raped.

If this happened in any other state I would be highly surprised but with it being Texas, I'm really not too much tbh.

As I get older, I suppose I should pay more attention to politics: Taking note of issues, voting for referendums or similar, etc. But to be honest, all politicians absolutely irritate and disgust me for the most part and I don't care to dive too deeply into it.

14 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

If this happened in any other state I would be highly surprised but with it being Texas, I'm really not too much tbh.

As I get older, I suppose I should pay more attention to politics: Taking note of issues, voting for referendums or similar, etc. But to be honest, all politicians absolutely irritate and disgust me for the most part and I don't care to dive too deeply into it.

Yeah I find it hard to get invested or really care about most things because the best you can hope/vote for is usually just the lesser evil.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2021 at 12:47, Wainy316 said:

Technologically they are but they will never be frontrunners socially until their obsession with God is less prevalent.

Having just got back home after being stranded in New Orleans due to Hurricane Ida, I'm not so sure about that to be fair. Complete joke how they've isolated that city without power and services once again.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Having just got back home after being stranded in New Orleans due to Hurricane Ida, I'm not so sure about that to be fair. Complete joke how they've isolated that city without power and services once again.

tbf, all the high tech in the world is little use against those sort of conditions. I don't think we can take any high ground on that front, given how the UK buckles under a few centimetres of snow or rain. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

tbf, all the high tech in the world is little use against those sort of conditions. I don't think we can take any high ground on that front, given how the UK buckles under a few centimetres of snow or rain. 

Not so much about the conditions, more the after effects and lack of contingencies. Hurricane IDA came as no real surprise, nor the fact that now New Orleans will be without power for 2 - 3 weeks. We we in our hotel for a couple of days after with no lights outside of communal areas what was left in the refrigerators to eat (both run on generators). We were very fortunate to have that in comparison to residents and other guests of the city. 

Minimal phone signal and certainly no wifi. Airport, rail and buses are suspended (why the **** would you suspend bus services??) and no way out of the city other than car. Even then, you need to know where to go, which even the hotels were unable to get word from which towns now had power. 

Drive an hour out  after the storm (which took an awful lot of leaning on connections and palms greased with plenty of silver), and everything was pretty normal so I find it hard to think there couldn't have been a better response to getting food at the very least into the city.  

• Like 2

On 03/09/2021 at 04:47, Wainy316 said:

Technologically they are but they will never be frontrunners socially until their obsession with God is less prevalent.

That depends on the state and region. Deep blue states in the US are more socially advanced than many liberal European countries. 

5 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

They installed a new levee system that held. So no catastrophic flooding this time.

Edited by maqroll

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

They installed a new levee system that held. So no catastrophic flooding this time.

They did, and that's great for the parts of the city that are within the protected areas. Thankfully, rainfall wasn't as much of an issue this time as it was with Katrina (oddly Ida hit New Orleans bang-on the 16th anniversary of Katrina).

Where I was surprised was that it seemed almost acceptable to leave the city without basic amenities. Thankfully, we were only there for a further 2 days after the storm before getting a driver to take us to Pensacola Airport, but other hotel guests had no idea how or when they could get back to other parts of the US. People we prepared to take buses to Houston or Atlanta, but they were all cancelled too. The city was completely isolated, with a very languid reaction to getting food and supplies to people.

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

That depends on the state and region. Deep blue states in the US are more socially advanced than many liberal European countries. 

Well yeah, NYC is probably more socially advanced than Grimsby but generally the US makes the UK look like some kind of of social democratic, liberal utopia.  Which the UK is most certainly not I might add.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Doesn't this enlightened outlook end at the city limits though?

Seattle is an enlightened place ... but eastern Washington seems pretty conservative. Just south of me Aryan Nation is not uncommon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

They did, and that's great for the parts of the city that are within the protected areas. Thankfully, rainfall wasn't as much of an issue this time as it was with Katrina (oddly Ida hit New Orleans bang-on the 16th anniversary of Katrina).

Where I was surprised was that it seemed almost acceptable to leave the city without basic amenities. Thankfully, we were only there for a further 2 days after the storm before getting a driver to take us to Pensacola Airport, but other hotel guests had no idea how or when they could get back to other parts of the US. People we prepared to take buses to Houston or Atlanta, but they were all cancelled too. The city was completely isolated, with a very languid reaction to getting food and supplies to people.

It's a majority black city in a GOP led Confederate state. We saw what happened with Katrina. They were on their own. The feds didn't give a shit either. Same old story.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, El Zen said:

The US may be technologically advanced in terms of R&D, but the tech infrastructure is a complete mess in large parts of the country. 

Our high speed commuter rail system is a cruel joke. Airports are an embarrassment. Hopefully this bill gets past and the money is spent wisely.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maqroll said:

I live in about as blue a place as you can find and still encounter way more Neanderthals than the SF Bay area's reputation would lead you to expect.  Even among those that account for the blueness of this place, I find the social enlightenment is no match for places like Scandinavia.

• Like 1

Â