U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Child death is only ok once they enter  full time education. 

Guns don't kill people.  Alienated confused adolescents kill people. 

The guns just make it much much easier. 

Texas is a disaster. A lost cause until all the cowboys and wannabe cowboys die off. 

Don't give a bottle of water to a waiting voter because you can go to prison for your act of kindness.

Also, if you are a redneck there who hates BLM protesters, you can legally run them over with your vehicle. 

Dystopia Now

Maybe it's a good thing this thread has been quiet for a while?

Anyway, to the point at hand. Ivy league educated white folks (apart from Thomas obvs) who got their own education and careers funded by the unhinged right wing power crazy Federalist Society, now decide that poor people are going to stay even more **** for more generations. Thanks Supreme Court.

This law will effect the poor. The wealthy will just fly to other states to have the abortions. More poor white trash babies, and more poor babies of color for Tucker Carson et al to rant about.

Christianity - piss off.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Maybe it's a good thing this thread has been quiet for a while?

Anyway, to the point at hand. Ivy league educated white folks (apart from Thomas obvs) who got their own education and careers funded by the unhinged right wing power crazy Federalist Society, now decide that poor people are going to stay even more **** for more generations. Thanks Supreme Court.

This law will effect the poor. The wealthy will just fly to other states to have the abortions. More poor white trash babies, and more poor babies of color for Tucker Carson et al to rant about.

Christianity - piss off.

The true impact of the Trump presidency is now really taking effect. Whilst Trump was pretty much all bluster, the appointment of all the Judges has meant that these sort of decisions are likely to come think and fast and will take decades to sort out. 

I still can’t get my head around how the US is meant to be one of the most modern societies yet can be completely backwards at the same time. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A rape victim having an abortion in Texas is now subject to a longer jail sentence than her rapist.

(This type of informative post is exactly why I follow Mallory Edens instagram. Mostly.)

And if the rapist turns in his victim for having an abortion, he can make £10,000 profit on the rape.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

I still can’t get my head around how the US is meant to be one of the most modern societies yet can be completely backwards at the same time. 

Technologically they are but they will never be frontrunners socially until their obsession with God is less prevalent.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

Texas is a disaster. A lost cause until all the cowboys and wannabe cowboys die off. 

Don't give a bottle of water to a waiting voter because you can go to prison for your act of kindness.

Also, if you are a redneck there who hates BLM protesters, you can legally run them over with your vehicle. 

Dystopia Now

Didn't the democrat vote increase in Texas in the 2020 election? 

Austin is a liberal hotbed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

They'll be stopping them working and driving next.  

56 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Didn't the democrat vote increase in Texas in the 2020 election? 

Austin is a liberal hotbed.

Texas is expected to turn blue because of dempgraphics. Hope it happens next election.

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

Texas is expected to turn blue because of dempgraphics. Hope it happens next election.

This is true, though a lot depends on which demographic trend turns out to be longer-lasting; the shift of white suburban voters to Dems, or the shift of non-college Latinos to Republicans.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

US politics voting patterns is weird. The south used to be a democrat stronghold when it was the racist party .the republicans voted to abolish slavery and was strongest in the north east.Since the 60s it was flipped the other way. Now with the demographic of the south changing it may change yet again, and the rustbelt could well go republican. Confused? Good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Why are non-college Latinos voting for the party that hates them?

Maybe they identify themselves as american first rather than latino

Maybe they work in blue collar jobs, perhaps based in oil/gas industry and opposed any talk of  net zero 

Maybe they live in rural areas

Maybe they have traditional social values

Maybe they are deeply religious

Lots of reasons

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Why are non-college Latinos voting for the party that hates them?

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Maybe they identify themselves as american first rather than latino

Maybe they work in blue collar jobs, perhaps based in oil/gas industry and opposed any talk of  net zero 

Maybe they live in rural areas

Maybe they have traditional social values

Maybe they are deeply religious

Lots of reasons

Yes, that's a good list; probably the most honest answer is 'all of those, and more besides, and we can't be sure anyway'. If you look at a map of the vote shift in Texas from 2016 to 2020, what you see is this:

Trump-Gains-in-2020-640x454.jpg

The red - where the Trump vote increased significantly - is the Rio Grande Valley. It shifted Republican by more than almost anywhere else in the country. I've never been there, I can't claim any special insight, but my understanding is that what we are talking about is a rural area with a high Latino population, much of which is non-college-educated.

I think one thing that people often misunderstand about Latino voters is that they expect them to vote like African Americans (ie, to vote DEM by 9:1 margins), but actually they don't do anything like that. There seem to be huge differences in how Latino voters vote, which can be seen in different genders (Latino men are more likely to vote Republican), different national origin (Mexican origin seems to equate with higher Dem-voting, Cuban or Venezuelan with Repub-voting), different educational status (college-educated more likely to vote Dem), and probably others besides (I seem to remember religiosoity was another important predictor, for instance). Also probably worth remembering that in this specific part of the country, lots of Latino voters actually work in law enforcement, which again correlates with Repub voting.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A rape victim having an abortion in Texas is now subject to a longer jail sentence than her rapist.

(This type of informative post is exactly why I follow Mallory Edens instagram. Mostly.)

I can't put into words how incredibly **** up this is

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, that's a good list; probably the most honest answer is 'all of those, and more besides, and we can't be sure anyway'. If you look at a map of the vote shift in Texas from 2016 to 2020, what you see is this:

Trump-Gains-in-2020-640x454.jpg

The red - where the Trump vote increased significantly - is the Rio Grande Valley. It shifted Republican by more than almost anywhere else in the country. I've never been there, I can't claim any special insight, but my understanding is that what we are talking about is a rural area with a high Latino population, much of which is non-college-educated.

I think one thing that people often misunderstand about Latino voters is that they expect them to vote like African Americans (ie, to vote DEM by 9:1 margins), but actually they don't do anything like that. There seem to be huge differences in how Latino voters vote, which can be seen in different genders (Latino men are more likely to vote Republican), different national origin (Mexican origin seems to equate with higher Dem-voting, Cuban or Venezuelan with Repub-voting), different educational status (college-educated more likely to vote Dem), and probably others besides (I seem to remember religiosoity was another important predictor, for instance). Also probably worth remembering that in this specific part of the country, lots of Latino voters actually work in law enforcement, which again correlates with Repub voting.

There is also an interesting phenomenon where recent migrants who perceived themselves to have ‘done things the right way’ when migrating can actually be more hostile to ‘illegal’ migrants than the general population. The ‘build the wall’ slogan would probably paradoxically appeal to a lot of Latino voters. 

• Like 2

Â