U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well that's hardly going to get the meat eating rednecks onside is it?

Need to make one of my campaign goals to outlaw vegetarianism or vote for me win a ribeye?👍

• Haha 1

Just now, maqroll said:

Has it, though? I've not seen anything other than speculation.

Yeah not been 'confirmed' persay and never will be but I just feel that is what they had in mind.

Biden and Harris don't even really like each other.

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not sure whether it's a 'plan' as such, or just an acknowledgement of the reality that being VP pretty much immediately catapults right towards the front of the queue.

Does it? When was the last time a former Democratic VP was elected president? (present incumbent excepted and even he doesn't count as he wasn't VP when winning the Dem nomination) Truman in 1945 I think and he was only VP for 3 months

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Does it? When was the last time a former Democratic VP was elected president? (present incumbent excepted and even he doesn't count as he wasn't VP when winning the Dem nomination) Truman in 1945 I think and he was only VP for 3 months

You can't just dismiss the obvious example out of hand lol.

But yes, it definitely moves you into the top tier of candidates, hence the current incumbent, Gore, George Bush Sr, Mondale, Humphrey, LBJ, Nixon. I didn't say anything about this only applying to Democrats or that it was a guaranteed victory in the general election.

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You can't just dismiss the obvious example out of hand lol.

He wasn't the sitting VP and even if you include him the one before that that actually won was 75 years previous!

The point of the conversation was about stoppping Trump (or whoever) to do that you have to win. It's easier to see Harris winning the nomination, it's much less easy to see her win and stopping the GOP candidate

1 minute ago, bickster said:

He wasn't the sitting VP and even if you include him the one before that that actually won was 75 years previous!

The point of the conversation was about stoppping Trump (or whoever) to do that you have to win. It's easier to see Harris winning the nomination, it's much less easy to see her win and stopping the GOP candidate

That wasn't the point I was making :)

My point was, stated simply, that being the VP makes it more likely you will win your party's nomination for the general. And in fact every VP in a Democrat administration has subsequently gone on to be the nominee for a general.

On your last sentence, I agree, and if you go back to the previous page, you'll see that I'm very skeptical about Harris actually winning the general, should she get that far, as as far as I can see, she's pretty unpopular. She has a -8 favourability rating, significantly worse than Biden, according to the RCP polling average.

Driving home from work yesterday I listened to LBC (I normally don't, but the music on the other channels was awful), and they had a 'best of James O Brien talking to Trumpsters' thing going on, it was actually really funny. I normally can't stand the guy but here I thought there were so many idiots calling in that his condescending holier than thou approach actually worked pretty well..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If anyone wants to know what Trump has actually been thinking about 9/11, he said this a couple of week ago:

If you're wondering how Trump spent the day yesterday, he a] commentated on a rather sad boxing match in which Evander Holyfield got beat up:

. . . and b] appeared in a pre-recorded video message at a Moonie event:

This guy was President of the United States for 4 whole years, and he'll probably be President again for another 4 years too.

On 07/09/2021 at 09:01, magnkarl said:

Driving home from work yesterday I listened to LBC (I normally don't, but the music on the other channels was awful), and they had a 'best of James O Brien talking to Trumpsters' thing going on, it was actually really funny. I normally can't stand the guy but here I thought there were so many idiots calling in that his condescending holier than thou approach actually worked pretty well..

I agree with the majority of what James O'Brien says, and I do like to see him take the piss out of people.

But he's a monumental bellend.

• Like 1

Â