U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So what do the republican media say, which might have convinced democrat voters to switch?

They tried the economy but the economy is getting stronger and even Fox News business are struggling to find holes.  So they moved to Immigration issues but with bi-partisan Senate deal being nixed by Trump and him being so vocal about it killed that narrative at the strength it had so another parties issues.  So they are again running on Hunter, which even the right wing media are giving up on and so we are back to Biden being senile and old.  

The problem they are having is the left are now battering the right with Trump’s mental decline which seems to be advancing very quickly…so it’s old and senile vs old and senile.

The biggest attack seems to be coming from the far-far left voters over Biden’s response re Israel.

So I don’t think the right wing media are convincing many at all to switch….I think the alliances were set a long time ago and they aren’t changing despite polls that don’t seem to match results for the last 6 years.

Edited by nick76

46 minutes ago, nick76 said:

All fair points.  I think those that voted for Trump in 2020 in those groups will vote for Trump again and those that voted for Biden will vote again for him.  These two candidates are so different that in those groups especially it doesn’t make sense that a material portion would swap to a complete opposite candidate.  If you believed in Biden/Dem policies/ideas in 2020, you couldn’t swing enough in 2024 to Trump who more extreme than he was in 2020….and vice versa.

That’ll be the question. The polls say they’re switching at a significant enough rate. Hard to believe but we shall see. 

So it’s Don the Con. The Maga base will stick with him no matter what. But the independents, will I think, find him even more repellent now than before. He’s simply poison to maintaining a functioning Democracy. It’ll be a rerun with the same result, and the same unhinged claims of a steal.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

There is going to be a lot of sound and fury and it will be the most depressing US election campaign in history, but ultimately Trump will lose yet again to a doddery Biden. He has failed to win the popular vote in two elections and the midterms were dreadful for him. Plus the economy is doing ok. If Biden was 70 instead of 80 he would be creaming him. As usual, it will go down to about half a dozen swing states with about 500,000 voters deciding the future of Western democracy, so no pressure then. The alternative  doesn't bear thinking about.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meregreen said:

So it’s Don the Con. The Maga base will stick with him no matter what. But the independents, will I think, find him even more repellent now than before. He’s simply poison to maintaining a functioning Democracy. It’ll be a rerun with the same result, and the same unhinged claims of a steal.

This is the part I don't get. He'll lose again this year, and then what? Do they continue to stick a 2 time loser. There's no way Trumps ego will allow someone to take over from him, so do they just continue on this merry go round until he's literally too old to continue 

7 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

This is the part I don't get. He'll lose again this year, and then what? Do they continue to stick a 2 time loser. There's no way Trumps ego will allow someone to take over from him, so do they just continue on this merry go round until he's literally too old to continue 

I think the rest of the western world hopes the republican party recovers their sanity to go back to being a centre right party again.

• Like 2

Hopefully Biden's wins a close run election and trump goes full insurrection this time and there's a bloodbath of Maga idiots and a dead trump splattered all over Washington DC. 

If America elects Trump then it really needs to get what it deserves. It can’t do such an obviously idiotic thing and come out of it unscathed. It will be taught in schools for decades to come as what can happens when people tick the box for madness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

What happens when a sitting President is no longer able to carry out the role?

Does it simply go the Vice President or is there an election?

25th amendment, it goes to the VP until the president is able to fulfill the presidential duties. If the president dies, then the VP becomes the next president. 

14 hours ago, DJBOB said:

It’s hard to believe, but some of the less biased pollers I follow are really saying that there’s a small but significant set of voters who voted for Biden and are switching to Trump as the reason for Biden currently losing in the polls. 

Who these people are and what their mindset is continue to be a struggle in basic logical reconciliation. 

Polls have been off and I think the race will be close but it really is a struggle for me on who those people are. The rabid base I get, but vote switchers? Truly mind boggling. 

one of my friends is one of these people. he voted for Biden in '20 as he disagreed with the way that Trump handled COVID and now is going to Trump as he does not like the way Biden is running/handling the nation currently (specifically on immigration). 

31 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

one of my friends is one of these people. he voted for Biden in '20 as he disagreed with the way that Trump handled COVID and now is going to Trump as he does not like the way Biden is running/handling the nation currently (specifically on immigration). 

The hoops you have to jump through to land at that point 🤷

What can you do against such logic?

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Can you beg him on behalf of the entire world to please vote for Biden?

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

But Trump and cronies blocked an immigration reform bill from Biden and co. Mad logic.

The MAGA-base sure doesn't have a shred of logic, do they?

Booo immigration! The US is essentially powering through really tough economic times largely due to immigration.

Booo Ukraine! Something like 7 out of 10 arms manufacturers in the US are located in deeply red MAGA-states. US aid to Ukraine sends old equipment to Ukraine and energises the arms-industry. The US gets the new equipment, not Ukraine.

Boo swamp Washington! If anything, the milieu around Trump is the swampiest, nastiest, most corrupt mainstream political movement to hit either party in the US ever.

Boo health care! Old white folks in republican states are literally the people who suffer the most from not receiving decent health care. I just don't get it.

• Like 1

Â