Jimzk5

had a look for some rumours and the first 3 of them were a 19 year old reserve teamer from PSG, a 19 year old reserve teamer from inter and a 19 year old reserve teamer from Liverpool, the PSG kid sounds close

then there is the mendes probably bullshit link, 20m for a 24 year old Brazilian striker from Napoli, another with a pretty terrible looking scoring record but maybe more worrying would be 24 years old and played 73 games in all competitions

On 28/06/2019 at 08:51, villa4europe said:

had a look for some rumours and the first 3 of them were a 19 year old reserve teamer from PSG, a 19 year old reserve teamer from inter and a 19 year old reserve teamer from Liverpool, the PSG kid sounds close

then there is the mendes probably bullshit link, 20m for a 24 year old Brazilian striker from Napoli, another with a pretty terrible looking scoring record but maybe more worrying would be 24 years old and played 73 games in all competitions

Sorry it just amused me that bottom comment considering that's effectively Target! 

At the time of my life where I can mostly live without the rumours and appreciate the club being pretty silent on matters. However the statement they put out once again reiterating Nuno's desire to work with the small squad and to integrate some Youth teamers seems to be backed up by the pre season videos as got more of the u23s with him than previous. Starting to think they won't sign anyone before the season starts. 

Also on the PSG lad that seems to be a tactic of grabbing players from really high ranked sides or hoovering up promising players from small UK sides. That is where they got Hause from from. At least they sold him, the others just seen to eventually get released. 

They’ve been a tinpot club most of their existence except the last 2 years. Another example of a club getting lucky through their links with Mendes, yet again at our expense. But I don’t really care what they think. Their players haven’t gone to them because they’re a big club, it’s because of their links. 

I’d rather we focus on ourselves and trying to be better than them rather than rising to their jibes. Hopefully we sign a couple of players that make them sit up and take notice.

• Haha 1

I think the players have gone there because they're not a big club, neves hasn't gone there thinking that he'll be a wolves player for 10 years, he's gone there thinking he'll play every week, develop, catch the eye of a big fish and get a 60m+ move within his 5 year contract

• Like 1

yep completely agree, lets not kid ourselves in to thinking Wesley hasn't been enticed here after watching benteke's (maybe not so recent...) career trajectory 

its replacing them and keeping it going thats the test

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep completely agree, lets not kid ourselves in to thinking Wesley hasn't been enticed here after watching benteke's (maybe not so recent...) career trajectory 

Was actually nice he didnt say that bullshit in his interview unlike big Everton fan Richarlison

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

We cannot go back to being a selling club again. If we do we'll only be a bit part player in the Prem or end up back in the Champ. 

If these players Dean is signing turn into stars then we have to play hardball as the likes of Spurs have done and either say 'not for sale, thanks', or demand much more than they're worth, then reinvest that money sensibly. 

The owners say they want to take us back to challenging for Europe, we can only do that by keeping our best players and building a competitive squad. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

It's not as if our players move to Villa because they are lifelong fans who fell in love with the club after watching us winning the Intertoto cup and have dreamed of working under Dean Smith after seeing him on a dodgy stream working wonders at Walsall in League 1.

It's a step up in league quality, and salary and it get's you more exposure to even bigger clubs and scouts that otherwise might have hesitated.

Edit: Obviously Porto for instance is a bigger club than Wolves or Villa, but the money and exposure part still applies.

Wolves have never even finished in the top 6 of the Prem, they have a long way to go before they're considered as our equals. Don't care if they have a better team than us currently. 

Porto yes they would be considered bigger but they play in a much weaker league. Wolves got Neves through Mendes and because he wasn't yet a regular for them (Porto). The situation was a bit of an anomaly tbh. 

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Wolves have never even finished in the top 6 of the Prem, they have a long way to go before they're considered as our equals. Don't care if they have a better team than us currently. 

Porto yes they would be considered bigger but they play in a much weaker league. Wolves got Neves through Mendes and because he wasn't yet a regular for them (Porto). The situation was a bit of an anomaly tbh. 

They finished 7th this season thou...

Doubt any player cares if Wolves or Villa is the bigger club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

They finished 7th this season thou...

Doubt any player cares if Wolves or Villa is the bigger club.

agree with that too

if both clubs go for the same player, lets say a Brazilian playing in the Belgian league, do you think that player is getting on Wikipedia to see who is the bigger club? they might have an interest in the ground or the training facilities but that's then after wages, playing opportunities, competitions, team mates and several other factors

this bigger club stuff is a pissing contest

if you think wolves are going to offer someone 10k a week more than us to play 1st team every week in the PL and the EL and that player will reject them because villa are a bigger club then you are kidding yourself

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and wolves will say exactly the same 🤷‍♂️

if Wesley scores 60 goals in the next 2 seasons and city come in for him he's gone

if neves continues to develop the way he has and city come in for him he's gone

Zaha if someone meets the price is gone, maguire if they meet the price is gone, win bassaka gone, richarlison gone...hazard gone, Christian Eriksen if they meet the price gone...

the notion that we are aston villa and we have a rich owner and we want Europe is nonsense, if our players play well they will get a move to a bigger club, that's football

As long as we fleece as much money out of them as we can, that's fine. Pretty much what I said anyway. 

I know the likes of City have got more pulling power than us financially and in terms of success on the pitch (in last 10 years), but if we do sell to these rich clubs then I want us to be like Leicester and Palace and demand £90-£100mil for a player like Maguire (not worth that) or £80-£90mil minimum for Zaha (again not worth that).

As long as we get more than they're worth and reinvest ALL the money sensibly that's fine. We can still grow and progress with that approach.

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We cannot go back to being a selling club again. If we do we'll only be a bit part player in the Prem or end up back in the Champ. 

Every team but 3 in world football are a selling club 

• Like 4

Wolves are not a tinpot club. It’s a good club with a very good foundation at the minute. A bit like Leicester. The days of the big club winning signings has long gone. It’s about ££££ and exposure . Leeds cannot compete with Bournemouth ffs . Wolves have a long way to go to trump us, but they are currently in a better position. Personally I think we will bridge the gap at some point. We need to stay up and establish ourselves again. The club sells itself then to attract better players. We are doing ok and will be ok. Small steps at a time. We’ve learned splashing silly money on has beens doesn’t work. We’ve got a decent set up at villa and look at the demand. There will be 30k season ticket holders with 5-6k on waiting list. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 3

Dare to say it, but they're very well run. Them, Leicester and Everton are in the right direction. Not sure about West Ham and Watford, as the latter could lose it anytime. But you could see the dingles set up, you can only compare it to Leicester (who have used their title to establish themselves as a Premier League club), and Everton who were declining but somehow found their way to stay as a top 10 club.

We have a long way to re-establish ourselves, the figures up there are frightening. Many teams are looking abroad now, they're looking at lower league too. Even top 6 teams. We missed our chance last time under MON, kept losing chances until we were down. The only time we got right, we didn't complete our favour at the of that summer, to find ourselves going down.

Our main goal this season is to stay up, start to develop and play well. Comfortable finish, and finishing above the Dingles (to retain our place at the Midlands) would be always bonus.

To be honest, I'm happy somehow for some rivalry on a higher level. We didn't have a proper derby for a long time (apart from a few relegation battles with Tesco Bags, and once with the Scum which is when they've went down). 

I think if we could stay up this season, if Smith can complete developing our team. I guess that two Midlands teams will be established up there for a while. With another one sniffing around. I can see WBA going up, but I don't think they have a board that could handle all these changes in the Premier League.

Look at Tottenham, their rivalry with Arsenal mainly helped them upping their game. They had Chelsea eventually. Same goes with Everton. There are definitely other factors, but this is an important one.

Â