Jimzk5

55 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Saw this on Twitter today

"Asia Trophy Winnners Ltd Edition" lol

Still remember the glory days every time I pull on my commemorative Peace Cup champions shirt.

• Haha 1

Got no problem with it myself, take the stupid name away and you are left with a shirt with the owners name on it rather than their shit betting company's logo

It will be incredibly popular 

Same as we are selling a shirt with no sponsor for £90, if we put acorns on our kappa shirt and said it was a peace cup commemorative shirt then that would sell too 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Sure it would hit us but our owners would be in a better position to finance the club should they wish to do so.

I agree, However.

I think owners soon lose interest if they glean that they are the only reason a club is successful.....The fun comes in for them, when gates are bursting, nets are bulging for us, wins are plentiful and we are zooming up the league and money is coming in.

Sure, its great to have sugar daddies for troubled times or money for transfers before the league money comes in.....but a self sustaining, club that punches its own weight is what puts a smile on their faces.

and in the long run, it's what we want as fans.....then we rely on no one person to a large degree.

Edited by TRO

Wolves owners seem to operate in a different manner to a lot of the Chinese financed companies. A friend of mine works in finance acquirement for huge firms for some sort of 3rd party (not going to lie, I don't understand what he actually does) and had a few companies he works with really struggle when their Chinese investors got told by the government to cut their overseas spending. He told me his company looked at Fosun to try and work out why they seemed immune to it and as mentioned above it seemed to be that they already had significant amounts outside China, and they invest huge amounts inside it so they are almost given the blind eye. 

They said when they took Wolves over they were impressed by the current facilities and academy as well as the brand. And a few reports have emerged that they aren't looking to waste money even though they want success. Which is why even the targets that are linked, seem to be promising players with a clear development and resale plan. Such as Neves when he is evitably sold as I am sure he will be. 

• Like 1

I'm loving seeing them trying to rationalize away our transfer dealings. They all think (hope) that we're doing a Fulham.

They also seem to think we're going to have a gold/yellow third kit that looks like theirs based on a fake mockup lol. That makes us obsessed they say in a 150 page thread about us that is always at the top of their forum :lol:

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I'm loving seeing them trying to rationalize away our transfer dealings. They all think (hope) that we're doing a Fulham.

They also seem to think we're going to have a gold/yellow third kit that looks like theirs based on a fake mockup lol. That makes us obsessed they say in a 150 page thread about us that is always at the top of their forum :lol:

Villa have needed to bring in a load of players this summer due to losing a load, but it’s not just local rivalry to question how well the new players will integrate and how quickly. 

As I said, you didn’t have a lot of choice, but I’d be concerned if I was a Villa fan. 

The goalkeeper kit is a bit of a laugh if it’s genuine though. 

9 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Villa have needed to bring in a load of players this summer due to losing a load, but it’s not just local rivalry to question how well the new players will integrate and how quickly. 

As I said, you didn’t have a lot of choice, but I’d be concerned if I was a Villa fan. 

We're not overly concerned because a.) like you say, we had to bring in these players out of necessity so it's not some vanity project. But also because our manager has a history of bringing in a lot of players in one window and integrating them with no hassle. He once brought in 18 (!) players one summer at Brentford and it didn't seem to affect their chemistry very much.

That doesn't mean we're doing a Fulham, who completely scrapped their promotion winning squad in favour of some big name/big wage players. We've added players we've been scouting all year and have clearly done our homework regarding their character and capacity to fit in with the squad. It could still obviously not work out, but that wouldn't be doing a Fulham, it would just be doing a Villa. We have our own unique set of circumstances and way of doing things and it's such a lazy (and wishful) thing to say that we're going to struggle purely because we bought a lot of players.

Also I see that actually really is our goalkeeper kit. Not sure what's funny about that to be honest, I didn't realize Wolves had a monopoly on the colour piss-yellow. If that was our away kit maybe, but it's a pretty common goalkeeping kit colour. Also plenty of clubs share the same sponsor, we were one of 5 Championship clubs last season sponsored by 32Red for example. Wolves fans really seem to want us to care about them when...we just don't? :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

True, but I think we all know that too. The thing people are picking up on is the amount of Wolves fans on social media taking a black & white view of if (they bought them/we weren't in for them) they can't be any good. I know it's the same for fans of any clubs, hence why I don't do social media!

Also the fact no one from Wolves felt the need to comment on us in the 3 decades before last season, but now there are thousands piping up. Only as neutral football fans and not possibly with any bias of course...

I think most of us realise it probably wont be straightforward, but I also don't see why we have to worry more than Norwich, Sheffield Utd, Newcastle, Burnley or Brighton.

I know we have a load of new players, but the reason I don't think it will be that hard to integrate is the existing links between players. See this post for examples.

Ours? Just plain black isn't it?

I actually quite like Wolves and would enjoy it if we were both competitive enough for the game to turn into a proper rivalry in the next few years. My opinion on the club has soured quite a lot this year, but I think vocal minorities on social media have a tendency to do that!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy81 said:

It's not local rivalry at all. 

3 hours ago, Andy81 said:

I don't think there is anything to be concerned about any more than any other season.....but you are right, Villa did need to bring in a rake of players, there was no other way....If a concern needs to be made, its just joining such a tough league, where errors and flaws are punished so easily.. but equally we have just left a tough league too, in slightly different ways....We have to meet the challenge just like you had to.

If you take the second half of the season its probably as good as any team that has been promoted in first place......We nearly went bust.....what was achieved was phenomenal in our second half we were amazing. I thought Albion was an iffy call and with 9 yellows and 2 reds we rallied an amazing onslaught, Villa IMO were terrific and showed what a fantastic resolve we have and the club showed so much fight.

I never thought Villa would go up last season with 2 managers and so much disruption both had to deal with.....it was a minor miracle.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, agree with them all. 

For clarification, the goalkeeper kit is amusing along with the sponsor because I think someone at Villa said something about emulating Wolves after promotion, that’s all, don’t be touchy, it’s just a funny coincidence. 

Won 2-0 at home against Crusaders last night on their European tour. I can see the extra games, travelling, Thursday-Sunday regime de-railing their league form a bit. 

Don't forget they did superbly against top sides, which will be difficult to replicate. They need to be beating the bottom half with more frequency. 

I hadn't actually seen our away goalkeeper kit when I read your original comment, Andy.

I see what you mean - you see a lot of yellow GK kits, but that one has a distinct orange tinge. Doesn't help we've got the same sponsor as you had last year!

Even if I had the physique to pull them off, I'm not that keen on any of the Kappa shirts and unfortunately this one isn't any different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nice review of Adama performance last night from BBC. Said he had lots of the ball but zero end product 

He had an assist for the first goal.  Played well last night.

Â