Jimzk5

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

How will they fill their time when we surpass them and continue to not be bothered by their existence?

And some people accuse Villa fans of arrogance! 

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Won 2-0 at home against Crusaders last night on their European tour. I can see the extra games, travelling, Thursday-Sunday regime de-railing their league form a bit. 

Don't forget they did superbly against top sides, which will be difficult to replicate. They need to be beating the bottom half with more frequency. 

I expect our league form will drop off a bit too as a result, depending on who we sign in the next two weeks.  Having said that the schedule isn't too different from the Championship where you're playing three times a week, and our team is relatively young so hopefully they'll be up to it.

26 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I hadn't actually seen our away goalkeeper kit when I read your original comment, Andy.

I see what you mean - you see a lot of yellow GK kits, but that one has a distinct orange tinge. Doesn't help we've got the same sponsor as you had last year!

Even if I had the physique to pull them off, I'm not that keen on any of the Kappa shirts and unfortunately this one isn't any different.

Yeah obviously loads of goalkeeper kits are yellow, so there's nothing in it, it's just slightly ammusing with the sponsor and all.

10 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

He had an assist for the first goal.  Played well last night.

It'll happen every now and then, especially against very poor sides. But he's simply an incredibly poor footballer, even the worst Premier League sides will generally find it easy to mark him out of a game.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

I expect our league form will drop off a bit too as a result, depending on who we sign in the next two weeks.  Having said that the schedule isn't too different from the Championship where you're playing three times a week, and our team is relatively young so hopefully they'll be up to it.

its a mental thing as much as anything, a performance drop off because they know they can get away with it

the media will allow some dickie results in the sunday games (and maybe the game before if they declare it a "big" European game), they'll just shrug and say "they played EL on Thursday is what it is" even though seemingly no other teams in European leagues suffer from the same hangover and like you say the championship has a similar Wednesday - Saturday - Wednesday game set up, im not sure a team of internationals (and wolves fans do like to tell us how they have so many Portuguese champions in their squad ;) ) can even use travelling around eastern Europe for Thursday nights as an excuse, they know tournament football, none of this is anything new

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

It'll happen every now and then, especially against very poor sides. But he's simply an incredibly poor footballer, even the worst Premier League sides will generally find it easy to mark him out of a game.

Maybe.  I'm not his biggest fan, but he does have ability and he's showing signs of improvement, and shows a real desire to want to learn.  I think with a full preseason under Nuno he could be a useful player.

Even last season in the Premier League we saw teams put two or three men on him opening up space for others.

Could go either way, but he's trying and that's all you can ask I guess.  I'd still play Doherty over him.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

its a mental thing as much as anything, a performance drop off because they know they can get away with it

the media will allow some dickie results in the sunday games (and maybe the game before if they declare it a "big" European game), they'll just shrug and say "they played EL on Thursday is what it is" even though seemingly no other teams in European leagues suffer from the same hangover and like you say the championship has a similar Wednesday - Saturday - Wednesday game set up, im not sure a team of internationals (and wolves fans do like to tell us how they have so many Portuguese champions in their squad ;) ) can even use travelling around eastern Europe for Thursday nights as an excuse, they know tournament football, none of this is anything new

Absolutely agree.  It's a nice problem to have, and what are you gonna do?  Just sack off Europe?  It could well be the pinnicle for us so you have to embrace it, better to strive than to just attempt to hang on to Premier League status.

I really don't think we'll be in danger of having a season like Burnley last year, I would be surprised to see us finish lower than 11th next season, but you never know.

I do remember Villa under MoN sacrificing Europe for the league, (away to Hamburg you played the kids and lost 3-0 I think?) but at the time you were looking up the league rather than worrying about relegation so that's fair enough.

6 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Absolutely agree.  It's a nice problem to have, and what are you gonna do?  Just sack off Europe?  It could well be the pinnicle for us so you have to embrace it, better to strive than to just attempt to hang on to Premier League status.

I really don't think we'll be in danger of having a season like Burnley last year, I would be surprised to see us finish lower than 11th next season, but you never know.

I do remember Villa under MoN sacrificing Europe for the league, (away to Hamburg you played the kids and lost 3-0 I think?) but at the time you were looking up the league rather than worrying about relegation so that's fair enough.

the MON model that arsene wenger went on to adopt at arsenal

play a weaker team in the European games so you can focus on qualifying for European games

I think the top 10 finish mini league you are in and finished top of last year with everton, Watford, west ham and Leicester could reasonably be flipped on its head this year with you finishing behind all of them, cant see anyone joining it though so yeah no lower than 11th is reasonable 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the MON model that arsene wenger went on to adopt at arsenal

play a weaker team in the European games so you can focus on qualifying for European games

Exactly!

I guess there's a certain logic to it, if you can be seen to be in Europe every year it raises your stature as a club and makes it easier to attract players, but bloody hell it's depressing.

30 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Maybe.  I'm not his biggest fan, but he does have ability and he's showing signs of improvement, and shows a real desire to want to learn.  I think with a full preseason under Nuno he could be a useful player.

Even last season in the Premier League we saw teams put two or three men on him opening up space for others.

Could go either way, but he's trying and that's all you can ask I guess.  I'd still play Doherty over him.

He didn't learn how to play football at Barca and, with no offence intended, you're not Barca. He is what he is at this point. He's a risk to tactical stability at absolute best, that's without him wasting the ball every time he gets it.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nice review of Adama performance last night from BBC. Said he had lots of the ball but zero end product 

Predicted it ages ago.

He'll probably go on loan this season.

I said he'd be the kind of player that gets a transfer one season, goes on loan the next season, then gets another transfer, goes on loan the next season. Rinse and repeat.

He'll be on his 12th club by the time he's 30.

34 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

He's **** toilet, mate.

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

He didn't learn how to play football at Barca and, with no offence intended, you're not Barca. He is what he is at this point. He's a risk to tactical stability at absolute best, that's without him wasting the ball every time he gets it.

You might be right, we’ll see, as I say, I’ve seen improvement over the last 12 months. 

3 hours ago, Andy81 said:

And some people accuse Villa fans of arrogance! 

Not caring is arrogance now :lol: ? I actually quite liked Wolves and their fans until recently.

I'd consider arrogance as having 2 good consecutive seasons then looking down on a club whose shadow you've been in for the best part of 2 centuries. Your fans are literally embodying everything people say about Villa fans, except without the history. Winning the Championship and finishing 7th in the PL (roughly our average position throughout history) was all it took to get y'all there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not caring is arrogance now :lol: ? I actually quite liked Wolves and their fans until recently.

Genuinely no idea why.  I don't hate them, but definitely don't like them at all.  Always been incredibly anti-Birmingham (the city... as well as that club to be fair) and the atmosphere at Molineux was always lively whenever we played there.

The only difference is that they now brag after the last, what 2 seasons(?), whereas they couldn't before.  Shrug.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Genuinely no idea why.  I don't hate them, but definitely don't like them at all.  Always been incredibly anti-Birmingham (the city... as well as that club to be fair) and the atmosphere at Molineux was always lively whenever we played there.

The only difference is that they now brag after the last, what 2 seasons(?), whereas they couldn't before.  Shrug.

It always seemed like we had a friendly rivalry between two big clubs and we had shared common enemies until they started to be weird about it like West Brom at the turn of this decade. As odious and tinpot as they are, we only have eyes for SHA.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It always seemed like we had a friendly rivalry between two big clubs and we had shared common enemies

I don't want to go over it again, because I agree with this bit, and the majority of Wolves fans I believe feel the same.

Twitter is a shithole and Villa fans come across in a similar way.  I don't treat anyone on there as a reflection of the wider fanbases.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

I don't want to go over it again, because I agree with this bit, and the majority of Wolves fans I believe feel the same.

Twitter is a shithole and Villa fans come across in a similar way.  I don't treat anyone on there as a reflection of the wider fanbases.

And you seem sound, so definitely nothing directed personally.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Yeah I'd like to think most Wolves fans are similar to you. I usually don't take stock in social media because it's full of idiots but taking a look at your forum which is typically a better gauge was surprising to say the least. Didn't realize there was that much venom towards us. Not quite Baggies level though...yet.

• Like 1

Â