Jimzk5

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

To be fair it does annoy me somewhat when people say we were moaning when we pushing for CL under MON. Like we didn't have any right to be there and should have just idly backed whatever MON did. 

Since then MON has gone on to do nothing of any note, he failed with Sunderland, Ireland and he is now failing at Forest. Shows that as a manager he was actually not anywhere near as good as the media were making him out to be. 

We had our best period of recent times under MON, this is true, but I still think he deserved a lot of criticism and left us in a terrible state. The football was dour a lot of the time, when he left we only had about three or four saleable assets which once they left meant we were on a hiding to nothing, he put very average players on big fat wages and never played them, and he failed to build a talented squad capable of competing on multiple fronts. You look at how we are under Smith and his modern way of thinking and playing the game and you realise just how backward Martin O'Neill actually was.

Is that Compatable?

In terms of results....He did , His away record was good, His Home record was so,so.....I thought his football was uninspiring and predictable.....I don't think we managed more than 10 wins per season at Home, might be wrong.

However he did get us 6-6-6 which in anyones language is impressive....I have very mixed feelings about his stay, but i don't really like the bloke and I think he was instrumental and contributory towards the end in our gradual demise.

Since he's gone he has done nothing for me to change my mind.

• Like 1

Is that Compatable?

Yes sorry - I meant in terms of results our best period. As you say 6th, 6th, 6th is certainly good and we'd all take that again - though put in context Man City were not the club they are now, Spurs also, and Liverpool and Arsenal were hot and cold. And as mentioned the football was pretty dour, there was very little one-touch silky football, most of it was knock the ball over the top and play on the counter. The signings in particular were hugely lacking in ambition considering we were spending a fair amount when Lerner first came in. Meanwhile Spurs were signing the likes of Modric and Bale. 

Anyway, the past is the past and O'Neill is in the past now. Smith looks far more capable of giving us sustained success and hopefully he can take us back to the Prem.

I was at the Southampton game at the weekend and Wolves were crap in my eyes.  A lot of people said we played well, and we did have a lot of the ball, but did nothing with it and Southampton took full advantage of our defensive lapses, and just looked like they wanted it more, which they clearly did, after the game there were big celebrations as they knew they essentially stayed up after that result.

I did smile at a Southampton fan after the game saying our position platters us, with only five games to go.  That's one hell of a lucky streak we've been on, league and cup!

Regarding us vs Burnley or Watford's performances, I think it's important to note that those clubs have been building their squads up over a number of years and Wolves have had two seasons in two different divisions.  It's a hell of an achievement, and budget is only part of the story as most football fans should be able to tell you.

I'm starting to think our squad size just isn't cut out for Europe, finishing 8th or 9th would be amazing.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2019 at 20:20, villa4europe said:

I dont think it flatters you but like i was trying to imply earlier its a poor league and being thay high up doesn't mean you are that good either 

I was actually talking about the Southampton fan I met, but I totally agree it's a weaker league for about 60% of the league than it was say 8 years ago.

The points have gradually all shifted north for a while now, which is why seventh is like winning a league.  It's bloody awful to be honest.

Having said that, there was definitely a step up I noticed from last season.  It took our players a while to adapt, Jota being the clearest example.

Another really impressive win for wolves. Nuno doing great job there. United should have considered him for them. 

The only thing for wolves is where do they go from here? 7th in league they really can't better that due to the power of the big boys in the Premier league. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Another really impressive win for wolves. Nuno doing great job there. United should have considered him for them. 

The only thing for wolves is where do they go from here? 7th in league they really can't better that due to the power of the big boys in the Premier league. 

I think Chelsea could do worse than go for him but I think they will want the big draw name who gets sacked before he reaches 2 seasons, if allegri leaves Juve he'll become their big target (assuming he leaves and Bayern win the league and persist with kovac)

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think their fans want to move away from managers like that, playing on the counter, letting the opposition have the ball.

I think next season the top 6, 2 of them United and Chelsea will be rebuilding if Chelsea can delay the transfer ban while Arsenal are still in rebuilding mode.

What Wolves have done is set themselves up as a finishing school for young players like Benfica or Ajax have done in recent times but with the added advantage of playing in probably more competitive league. Dont be surprised if Joao Felix is parked at Wolves for a season or 2

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

I think next season the top 6, 2 of them United and Chelsea will be rebuilding if Chelsea can delay the transfer ban while Arsenal are still in rebuilding mode.

What Wolves have done is set themselves up as a finishing school for young players like Benfica or Ajax have done in recent times but with the added advantage of playing in probably more competitive league. Dont be surprised if Joao Felix is parked at Wolves for a season or 2

And offering 10 times the wages 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

And offering 10 times the wages 

maybe but I was meaning clubs like Real, City or Barca be more impressed to sign a player playing in Premier League than Dutch or Portuguese leagues

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

maybe but I was meaning clubs like Real, City or Barca be more impressed to sign a player playing in Premier League than Dutch or Portuguese leagues

Absolutely.

But for the players there will also be a draw being offered £60k/w at Wolves rather than £8k/w at Heerenveen.

Wolves always lose against Huddersfield. Over the last 20 years or so it's been the most one sided fixture in English football: 

xXhFBvO.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Â