West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How old your boy? Be a real proud moment for you if he makes it.

Yeah I guess the other side of the pendulum though is the quality is so high at somewhere like barce you could end like someone like odegaard who liked great before he moved Madrid and now he is getting loaned out to some poor clubs as it seems they don't rate him.

Under 7’s so as I say very young. Proud of him for even getting in at that level, I’ve no expectations.

At 16 it’s still more about learning and development than playing. 

Guess Crowley would be decent example, went to Arsenal at that guy and it clearly went to his head given his attitude at some of the clubs he was then loaned out to.

Mind you dosen't always work the other way, we took Samir Carruthers around the same time, couldn't quite break through here and had decent lower league career.

Just shows it's only a small percentage of youth products that will have a successful top level career, any sort of pro career is pretty good.

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just shows it's only a small percentage of youth products that will have a successful top level career, any sort of pro career is pretty good.

I'm currently doing my coaching badges as coach my lads club and I had a meeting with an FA coaches coach last week and this point came up.

So of the kids that play grass roots footall only 0.03% go on to play professionally and only 0.01% go on to play in the Premier League. Yet 100% of the players that play in the PL played at grassroots level.

It was interesting stuff, trying to teach coaches they aren't coaching young kids to be PL players or even professionals, that isn't what coaching young kids is about. Really interesting stuff.

• Like 1

I might be wrong here Dem but I think at 16 he would be signing a youth contract for whoever he joins so the amount of cash he can earn will be capped, its not a case of barca / madrid / RB etc can offer him a financial package that the baggies cant 

Both my lads have been through the academy system at Villa, Albion, Coventry and Walsall from the ages of 7 until 16. For every Louie Barry there’s thousands of kids that don’t make it. Clubs can release kids at any stage so for Barry to have an opportunity to develop at Barca rather than Albion is too good an opportunity to ignore. 

Those that criticise the kid or his parents for taking the opportunity need to understand just how brutal clubs can be if they decide for whatever reason they want to release academy kids. 

• Like 2

On 08/07/2019 at 13:47, Demitri_C said:

Id be looking at what the club has done for my boy and see what's best for his career wise.

Id be a shit dad if all I called about was money and not his own career. 

Congrats to your son by the way. Hope that all goes well for him. That's a great and exciting achievement for him

Which would probably be to go to one of the biggest clubs in the world with a great record of bringing through youth talent

as opposed to West Brom. 

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:37, TrentVilla said:

If it was your boy what would be saying Dem?

My lad is currently training with Leicester which is an amazing opportunity for him but if when he was 16 a huge club came calling I'm not sure I'd be telling him to say loyal to Leicester.

Kind of off topic, but my boy is 8 and a bit late to the party with football. A switch seemed to have gone off in his head last September and now he's football mad. What I have noticed is that about 80% of kids who play football at that age are scouted, coached, courted, being looked at by professional clubs. It really does seem to be that high its incredible. If my lad was approached he'd be over the moon I'm sure, but I think its wrong that clubs go sniffing around almost all kids at that level and invite them in for training or to take part in specially created tournaments.

A lot of them are also offered small money deals to sign for them, which again gives 99% of them false hope. With the money in the game they can easily afford to pay kids "expenses" and bonuses to play for them for pretty much then entire childhood. I wonder what damage it does for their prospects in life when less than 1% ever make a career out of the game.

I'm 37 now, back in my teen years a very good friend of mine was at Derby County (when they were in the PL). He was there from about 12/13 and at 16 got a pro contract (small money, but still exciting times. He played in the reserves but never got on the pitch in the first team. He left and played a local side and fired them into the conference with about 25 goals. He was then signed for Kiddy on another full time pro contract in the football league but didn't make an impact. Now he is struggling for work. He has done coaching badges and really struggling career wise aside about for a bit of coaching kids here and there. It's a shame to see. The margins are so slim. He played with a few players that made a lot of money from the game and played in the premier league for a few clubs.

As a parent its hard to avoid it being a no-win situation. You say no, you're too young for all that and if you're good enough they'll be back later. Or you go along with it, and they see the first team cars, the facilities, the lifestyle and become distracted from school.

Probably one for another thread...

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Which would probably be to go to one of the biggest clubs in the world with a great record of bringing through youth talent

as opposed to West Brom. 

Doesn't always work out like that though does it. Look adama for example went barce and has flopped everywhere he has gone. 

Odegaard at Madrid.  Sometimes it's better to stay at the club that developed you and helped you. He could have maybe if he made it got a big premier league move. I'll make a prediction that he goes down the path of odegaard 

• Confused 1

Oof, it never ends.

Man City on verge of Morgan Rogers signing from West Brom

Man City on verge of Morgan Rogers signing from West Brom

skysports-morgan-rogers-england_4714509.

Manchester City have reached an agreement with West Brom over a compensation fee for teenage forward Morgan Rogers, Sky Sports News understands.

Rogers turns 17 later this month and is seen as one of the hottest properties in England for his age group.

It is believed the deal will cost the Premier League champions an initial £4m, but that figure could almost double depending on Rogers' future success at the club and whether he develops into an international star.

Rogers was due to travel with Albion's first team squad for their pre-season camp in Spain this week but instead is staying in the West Midlands to complete a deal expected to be finalised by the weekend.

The player made his debut for West Brom's first team last season, coming on as a substitute in the FA Cup against Brighton in February, and has been compared to Dele Alli by some pundits.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Doesn't always work out like that though does it. Look adama for example went barce and has flopped everywhere he has gone. 

Odegaard at Madrid.  Sometimes it's better to stay at the club that developed you and helped you. He could have maybe if he made it got a big premier league move. I'll make a prediction that he goes down the path of odegaard 

I think odegaard at 21 is pretty much where he should be, got a year training at madrid followed by a couple of years with some good progressive loan deals, now stepping up a notch at Sociedad, I think his madrid career is a non starter with the Brazilians they've signed since but his football career is alive and well (there are better examples, alen halilovic is currently in free fall after the bright lights of barca)

traore is an awful example of a player at barca, he was in a god awful barca B team and played a few minutes in CL dead rubbers, his time at barca is akin to saying you're fluent at a language because you have a GCSE grade D at it

the other thing now with these English kids going abroad is 1) the PL clubs have a ruck of money, they can go abroad get the training get the games and then come back 2) they can go to a barca or a man city and then thanks to FFP book balancing they can be sold for 15m without kicking a ball

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

This is totally backwards. 

You could say the entire reason a player as limited as Adama got to where he is is because he went through the Barcelona setup. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This is totally backwards. 

You could say the entire reason a player as limited as Adama got to where he is is because he went through the Barcelona setup. 

The standards at barce are the highest in world football. Jumping from wba to barce  is huge. If he flops his career would be in tatters. My view he should have stayed at wba. If he improved to the standard that barce have taken notice they would have came back in for him

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The standards at barce are the highest in world football. Jumping from wba to barce  is huge. If he flops his career would be in tatters. My view he should have stayed at wba. If he improved to the standard that barce have taken notice they would have came back in for him

But they’ve already taken notice. 

Â