January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

At the time pretty much everyone on here was happy that we got Ireland, and most thought the deal was decent.

Milner wanted to leave, once a player wants to o there is little pint in trying o make them stay.

I was happy because I thought (stupidly) that whoever came in as manager would still get £20m from the Milner sale to play with, as well as anything else Randy felt like giving. However the plan seemed to change that season and the cutbacks began. Even the January Bent signing was funded by future sales of Young and Downing.

Emergency meeting is needed on Monday. Lerner needs to give Lambert £20m (can be partially off-set by a £10m sale of Bent in the summer). For a bit of a mix of Premiership experience and quality we have to go for players like...

Dann & Olsson - £10m

Ince - £7m

Trotter - £3m

Thing is now every other club will know we are desperate so will rinse us, as they should, and we won't sign anyone.

It's all so easy isn't it.

At the time pretty much everyone on here was happy that we got Ireland, and most thought the deal was decent.

Milner wanted to leave, once a player wants to o there is little pint in trying o make them stay.

i wasn't happy. I described him as a rich mans lee Hendrie. He isn't even that.

Surely we can get someone in, this is quite depressing now. If we lose Tuesday, genuinely can't see how we will get out of it! It would be a matter of hoping three other teams mess up more than we do and have made the wrong signing....

I was one of the many big fans of lambert when he came in but I can't understand that he didn't recognise we needed a cm, unless he thought KEA was going to hit the ground running.... Watching Bannan and Delph is painful though, I still don't understand why bannan is still taking corners over nzogbia, our corners create chances for a counter every time - and it does explains why we can't defend corners if he is taking in training, our defence just think one on the front post, one on the opposite 18 yd box corner and we are sorted! Sad to think at one point 5 or 6 years ago we were the kings of set pieces! Can't we get Laursen in to teach people set pieces!

Surely we can get someone in, this is quite depressing now. If we lose Tuesday, genuinely can't see how we will get out of it! It would be a matter of hoping three other teams mess up more than we do and have made the wrong signing....

I was one of the many big fans of lambert when he came in but I can't understand that he didn't recognise we needed a cm, unless he thought KEA was going to hit the ground running.... Watching Bannan and Delph is painful though, I still don't understand why bannan is still taking corners over nzogbia, our corners create chances for a counter every time - and it does explains why we can't defend corners if he is taking in training, our defence just think one on the front post, one on the opposite 18 yd box corner and we are sorted! Sad to think at one point 5 or 6 years ago we were the kings of set pieces! Can't we get Laursen in to teach people set pieces!

Apparently teale and Laursen have both offered services to help out

It dawned on me while taking a piss late last night that this could be the end of Aston Villa as we know it. I'd never really allowed it to bother me much until now, but having supported Villa all my life, as I'm sure most of you will have done, it saddens me that our decline could span far longer than just this year. We really are looking like the next Leeds, and it's quite sad really. I fear this could be the end of our football club as we know it, missing out on increasing television revenues from the Premier league could very well exclude us from the top flight for the foreseeable future. We're dropping like a stone, and getting worse with every week that passes. And yet we could still do something to halt our fall, but our owner refuses to do so.

And people still compare him favourably to Doug? No chance.

Just seen Barry Silkman (football agent) on SSN. Said all the bottom 8 are looking to strengthen their squads apart from Villa. Hasn't herd anything to say we're looking to improve. Either we're keeping our cards close to our chest or "we will go again with what we've got"

hutton and warnock out frees up about £90k a week

that's 2 very good players right there

Both are loans though so depends how much of the players wages the other clubs are paying for..... I doubt the other clubs would even be paying 50% of their ridiculously high wages!

If it's true Warnock's leaving on a free (approx £45k pw) and Hutton on loan, with part wages being played, we could free up over £60k pw in wages. Surely, we could fund 2-3 players off that???

Riise on 6 month loan as LB

Diame DM

Dragovic CB

I genuinely think the biggest thing we are missing at the moment is physicality. Since last season, we've been without Collins, Cuellar, Dunne and even Hutton and Warnock who despite not being great players, could all handle the physical side of the game. My biggest criticism of Lambert is that with the exception of Benteke and Vlaar and Bowery at a push, the likes of Lowton, Westwood, Bennet and KEA all look like they are struggling with the physicality, despite looking like tidy footballers ( in most cases ).

I do think Lambert inherited a particularly poor squad of players including those that have been off form/disinterested since before he joined ( Ireland, nzogbia, bent etc ) and academy players who aren't quite good enough so his rebuilding job was probably bigger than we all initially thought