January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

James Nursey's latest article in The Mirror.

Paul Lambert has been to the States for crunch talks with Aston Villa supremo Randy Lerner - and has been told he still has the American's support.

Struggling Villa are 17th in the Premier League, a point above the drop-zone, and reeling after being knocked out of the Capital One Cup semi-finals over two legs by League Two side Bradford.Villa’s young side beat the Bantams 2-1 in the second leg on Tuesday, but bowed out 4-3 on aggregate when the final was within touching distance.

Sources at Villa Park have described the shock exit - Bradford are the first fourth-tier team ever to reach a major Wembley final - as “a real sickener”, but Lernerstill has confidence in manager Lambert.

We can reveal that the embattled Scot flew to America last week with Villa chief exec Paul Faulkner to see Lerner. The talks were described as good, and Lerner is standing by the former Norwich boss he hired last summer.

Lerner and Faulkner both feel the club is desperate for stability after going through four bosses since Martin O’Neill quit in August 2010. Former owner of the NFL’s Cleveland Browns, Lerner is happy for Lambert to put faith in young players - there is a feeling in the boardroom that some of the more experienced ones have not pulled their weight this season which means the Scot probably won’t be allowed to add to his squad in this transfer window.

Lambert has previously said he will not sign players for the sake of it, and Lerner, who has put more than £250m into the club to date, is not due back in the UK before next Thursday’s transfer deadline.

That highlighted part is extremely depressing if true. I'm all for putting faith in young players, just not shit/average ones. We've got plenty of those. Sign some good ones!

Edited by VillaRoy

Di Matteo is such a bad idea. I'm fully behind Lambert. Even if things aren't going right we all know the problems in this club over the last few years and I see what he's trying to do. We are goign backwards to go forwards but I think he can, given the time, turn it around and put the club on a good healthy standing. Losing our heads now - after the last few years - is not an option, as far as I am concerned. 

And in my humble opinion sacking Lambert and getting in Di Matteo is well and truly losing our heads territory.

Lambert's staying though so everyone might as well stop shouting abuse at the **** players and support them. 

Di Matteo is such a bad idea. I'm fully behind Lambert. Even if things aren't going right we all know the problems in this club over the last few years and I see what he's trying to do. We are goign backwards to go forwards but I think he can, given the time, turn it around and put the club on a good healthy standing. Losing our heads now - after the last few years - is not an option, as far as I am concerned. 

And in my humble opinion sacking Lambert and getting in Di Matteo is well and truly losing our heads territory.

Lambert's staying though so everyone might as well stop shouting abuse at the **** players and support them. 

Well said, my thoughts entirely. Love or hate Lambert we are stuck with him and this abuse of players is just pathetic.

• Like 1

Have we signed anyone yet? I only ask because I am stuck down sowf somewhere near Landen and can't get the gospel from the Birmingham Mail and there's only a week to go before the deadline shuts and I'll cry if we don't sign anyone and.................

Well said, my thoughts entirely. Love or hate Lambert we are stuck with him and this abuse of players is just pathetic.

Unless we buy a minimum of three players the last fifteen games will be very unpleasant, and we will go down.

I think Lambert has made some mistakes, but the bigger picture is the laughable ineptitude, bad decision making, and lack of football knowledge

displayed by the board (have we got one?) and owner. It also doesn't help that Lerner lives in another country.

I was no fan of Ellis but at least he was here, and knew how the fans / locality felt. Lerner isn't malicious, just incompetent

I don't think Lambert will be sacked as Lerner can't afford another round of compensation, and we also we need some stability. 

My guess is the bullet will come If we aren't in the top six of the Championship, next November /December, and the discontent

gets too much for Faulkner, Lerner, etc.   I hope Lambert gets the time and money and can turn it around though.

• Like 2

That highlighted part is extremely depressing if true. I'm all for putting faith in young players, just not shit/average ones. We've got plenty of those. Sign some good ones!

So the experienced players are shit so to deal with this we won't buy anyone ..that will show them FFS.

If true then we're definitely going down, time to get out pound-signs for Milwall game?

Get's better 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/23/aston-villa-paul-lambert-randy-lerner

Paul Lambert continues to enjoy the unqualified support of the Aston Villa owner, Randy Lerner, despite Tuesday night's humiliating semi-final exit from the Capital One Cup at the hands of League Two Bradford City. With Villa also mired in relegation trouble, Bradford's 4-3 aggregate victory over a club 61 places above them on the football ladder has raised questions about Lambert's ability to turn things around. Lerner, however, has no intention of sacking a manager he appointed only seven months ago.

The American spoke to Lambert on the phone after the Bradford match and, although the result represented a huge disappointment, especially as it was viewed as a chance to alter the course of Villa's season, Lerner is behind the manager to the extent that he is prepared to stand by him even if Villa are relegated. Lerner does not believe in knee-jerk reactions and he continues to regard Lambert – Villa's third manager in as many turbulent seasons – as the right person to get the club back on track.

Lerner's backing will not, however, stretch to greater financial support in this transfer window. Lambert, who spent £23m in the summer, has been told that he has limited funds available and there are no plans to revise that approach in the wake of the Bradford result, which brutally exposed the shortcomings – lack of leadership, brittle confidence, inability to defend set pieces and a shortage of genuine Premier League quality – that have been evident throughout a hugely disappointing campaign.

There is certainly no prospect of a marquee signing along the lines of the club-record deal Lerner approved two years ago, when Villa paid Sunderland £24m for Darren Bent to effectively safeguard their Premier League status under Gérard Houllier. Villa remain hopeful that new faces can be brought in but the budget is tight and they have ruled out the possibility of making a splash in the market in the way that their fellow strugglers Newcastle United have.

The most likely transfer deals at Villa Park involve potential departures. Stephen Warnock, the former England international who has slipped so far down the pecking order that he has not kicked a ball under Lambert, has been the subject of inquiries from Leeds United and Wolverhampton Wanderers, with the view to a possible loan.

There has also been interest from overseas in Alan Hutton, another player who has yet to feature this season.

With Premier League survival regarded as the priority for a club where a significant number of the senior players do not have relegation clauses in their contracts, Friday's awkward FA Cup fourth-round tie against Millwall at The Den is regarded as nothing like as important as Tuesday's home game against Newcastle. Alan Pardew's side are 16th in the table, one point and one place above Villa, who have scored only once in their past six Premier League home matches.

A trip to Wembley would have given a group of players who have been knocked from pillar to post over the past six weeks a much-needed confidence boost ahead of the Newcastle match.

Instead, the mood in the dressing room was one of acute embarrassment after Villa were unable to beat a Bradford team, 10th in League Two and assembled at a cost of £7,500, over the course of 180 minutes. "The disappointment in my body, I've never felt this before," Ron Vlaar, the Villa captain, said.

Vlaar was at fault for Bradford's crucial goal in their 2-1 defeat at Villa Park, when James Hanson got above him to nod home a corner from Gary Jones.

Hanson's header meant that all four Bradford goals across the two legs had arrived, either directly or indirectly, from corners, which was an area of weakness in the Villa side that Phil Parkinson, the Bradford manager, said he identified after watching them in the Premier League. "You can't hide away from it, Villa have been vulnerable," Parkinson said.

Lambert accepted that Villa's ability to defend set pieces is a concern. Villa have conceded 15 goals from dead-ball situations in the Premier League this season, which is more than any other top-flight club and represents the continuation of a worrying pattern that has set in over the past few years.

Under Alex McLeish, Villa conceded 25 goals from set pieces last season, which was the poorest record in the league. The season before, during Houllier's brief reign, Villa conceded 27 goals from set pieces.

It is one of numerous problems Lambert needs to address

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry. 

If thats the case then bring Warnock back in to the side.  Play him left back.  Hutton can do one.

Guzan

Lowton

Vlaar

Dunne

Warnock

Ireland

Westwood

Delph

NZogbia

Bent

Benteke

Its the best team we have at the minute.