January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Signing players from the Lower Leagues stinks they'll never have a re-sale value.... ...sheesh Lambert Out!

Spurs signed Gareth Bale from Southampton

Spurs signed Darren Bent from Charlton

Arsenal signed Oxelaide-Chamberlain & Theo Walcott from Southampton

And the irony of it all which team did Everton sign Joleon Lescott from? - Wolves who were in the Championship

Oh wait a minute...isn't he the subject of this entire circular debate how Lambert shouldn't be signing no marks from the lower leagues?!!!

Who has said we shouldn't sign players from lower leagues? I think the point most people are getting at is we need to have a blend of youth and experience not pin your hopes on 5 or 6 signings from the lower divisions.

All of those players you have mentioned were all heavily hyped and came with large transfer fee's so I am not sure what you are getting at there? They bare no comparison to the players we have signed or the ones we are linked to.

Signing players from the Lower Leagues stinks they'll never have a re-sale value.... ...sheesh Lambert Out!

Spurs signed Gareth Bale from Southampton

Spurs signed Darren Bent from Charlton

Arsenal signed Oxelaide-Chamberlain & Theo Walcott from Southampton

And the irony of it all which team did Everton sign Joleon Lescott from? - Wolves who were in the Championship

Oh wait a minute...isn't he the subject of this entire circular debate how Lambert shouldn't be signing no marks from the lower leagues?!!!

You're really ignoring the point over and over and over again.

Nobody has ever said there are no good players down in the lower leagues so please stop repeating yourself by sharing examples.

I don't really get involved in many arguments/debates on here because it's pointless but I had to laugh when I read this... "Vlaar looks at a similar level to Collins"

Wow. Just, wow!

Yeah we've looked much more solid at the back this year.

Vlaar looks ok but i haven't seen a big improvement with him.

I agree with Trent. Fully expect players that we have not been linked with. Look at Dale Stephens. Not one paper is reporting on a possible deal all the talk has come from whats being talked on social media. I've had a DM conversation with a journo about that and he was fully aware that a deal was being discussed but said an article would only be written when the deal was about to be announced. Plus I think Journos do not have a clue about where we are looking or who we are looking at. Thats why I think Lescott is a red herring. Look at this Coutinho link - we only know because of a foreign journalist - a similar thing happened over the summer.

Stephens?? That one is pretty likely!!

Does anyone think that per say we did get Coutinho, would that be our marquee signing? He would certainly sell shirts!

Is the phrase you meant to type 'per se' by any chance? :)

but they were also considered hot prospects at the time

bennett, lowton and bowery, nobody had heard of them

Really?

One of them is an England U-21 player. I would imagine the England U-21 team is a fairly good place to start looking for hot prospects, although I accept that lots fo them dont make it.

Lowton, who has p[played just about every game this season, is proof perhaps that you dont need to be a name. I think he looks like a Premiership standard player to me, he is certainly (imo anyway) the best full back at the club and we have three full international full backs

But compared to the names JulieB mentioned they were not known hot prospects, which was the point he was making.

For example Gareth Bale was wanted by spurs and manchester united and went for big money.

Theo was one of the hotest prospects in football at the time he moved to arsenal.

Comparing our signings to the ones she mentioned is pointless.

Tancredi Palmeri@tancredipalmeri

Aston Villa contacted Inter to ask about Coutinho. No bid made, but has been mentioned a possible 10m € offer

JESUS CHRIST :o

The guy is an Italian TV Correspondent....

I'm sorry for dreaming but if we got Coutinho then we would be onto a winner.... the attacking talent we crave!

3 goals in 21 for Inter, but we'll let him off because he's only a kid (20) and clearly has room to grow.

Im just a bit puzzled as to how people are raving about him, when he's been nothing but a bit part player since coming to Europe. I will confess to not having watched him play, but as he's only played five games this season I dont suppose Im on my own.

So whats the big deal? At 10m Euros he seems the right kind of price, assuming he is really worth "wetting your pants over", or whatever the saying is. is it just because he's a Brazilian playing (occasionally) for inter? Does that make him brilliant by default?

But compared to the names JulieB mentioned they were not known hot prospects, which was the point he was making.

For example Gareth Bale was wanted by spurs and manchester united and went for big money.

Theo was one of the hotest prospects in football at the time he moved to arsenal.

Comparing our signings to the ones she mentioned is pointless.

Right, but Gareth Bale is an interesting case isnt he, because for his first, 2 years at Spurs he was a total joke player. Everyone used to really take the piss. He played 24 games for Spurs in those 2 years without ending up on the winning side even once. I can imagine that Spurs fans were thinking at the time that was £7m totally down the toilet.

BUt, the key thing I guess is that at the time he was a teenager, and teenagers with talent will grow if given time and nurturing. So I guess those writing off Lambert's kids after a few months might like to look to the example of Gareth Bale. if you spend decent money on decent prospects there is always a good chance you will end of with a prized asset as long as you handle him right

So whats the big deal? At 10m Euros he seems the right kind of price, assuming he is really worth "wetting your pants over", or whatever the saying is. is it just because he's a Brazilian playing (occasionally) for inter? Does that make him brilliant by default?

He's Brazilian and has got a cool name that would look good on the back of a shirt. What more do you need to know?

• Like 1

As this is the 'dreamland' thread, here's my proposed line-up, taking into account a few of the rumours we've heard.

--------------------- Guzan -------------------

Lowton ----- Vlaar ----- Lescott -- Bennett

---------- Westwood ----- Stephens -------

Wiemann ------- Coutinho -- Aubameyang

--------------------- Benteke -------------------

Bench: Given, Clark, Baker, KEA, Ireland, Holman, Gabby

Centre-mid still looks fairly inexperienced, but I'd like to think that Stephens could adapt to the league like Westwood has.