January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

lescott would be nice for a couple of reasons, one, he's a good player, two, he's a villa fan. depends on how much number two is close to his heart really. finishing your career at the team you wanted to play for as a kid could work in our favour a bit. that said, no resale value and woudl go against what lambert has been doing so far.

i think mr henke may have a couple of surprises up his sleeve for us.

Ok let me rephrase then using your analogy

If he isn't that keen on funding the current squad in the premiership, what will make him keen to fund it in the league below?

would you be keen on paying what he's paying for the current squad, to be fair?

it'd genuinely be nice to get some kind of official line from the club on the wages thing. is it

a) the owner thinks the club is paying too much wages full stop

or

B) the owners doesn't think he's getting value for money given the current wages being paid

in the case of b, he's definitely right. there's still a phenomenal amount of wastage on the playing squad, particularly given some of the older guys who aren't playing that are making 2-3 times that of the guys who are. if there's a genuine problem with the owner not paying above say £40k a week for a player, regardless of who it is, then that's not good - but i dont think that's the case to be honest. lerner has, since the wage reducing started, sanctioned the signings of ireland, bent, nzogbia, given and hutton among others, all on hefty enough wages. are they all performing in a way that befits their wages? no, they're not, so you might understand him being reticent to spend that kind of money again, but at the end of the day he's never been too slow to back managers

regardless of what people like to think he's pumped absolutely huge amounts of money into the club, including long after the big money transfer windows stopped, and continues to do so simply to keep the club running on a day to day basis. it was his **** up that let the wages get out of hand, but for the money he's put into it it's fair to say he should've been able to expect a better return. has the club turned a profit at all any year since he took over? i can't remember it doing so anyway - people need to remember it's him that's making up those deficits of £20m/£30m/£50m per season

I can safely predict that we will not be signing Joleon Lescott now or perhaps ever for a varied number of different reasons.

+1

People creaming their Y Fronts over Lescott will probably end up very disappoint.

Lescott won't happen and I'm not sure I want it to. He's a good defender who would work well for us but I wouldn't want to be paying anywhere near his current salary, which I imagine is over £100k a week...I'd be hard pressed to give him £40k per week. We've only just got rid of our highly paid older players (although they did have the experience we are currently crying out for)...

Hopefully we're scouting in holland, the Dutch have always got good defenders to spare!

a little of a and a lot of b i would say. if we get lescott and he's a total rock for 3 years then i doubt it's be much of a problem!

one good CB would really help, we could then have 4 with first team experience with clark and baker both showing good form at times as cover for vlaar and someone else.

ireland going would free up some wages, with which you'd think we could get 2 midfielders to give us more competition and quality there. then i think we're looking a whole lot better all of a sudden with just 3 additions.

Lescott would be perfect for us right now. Its just hard to see it happening with his wages. That being said he is only 30 and there is no reason he can't maintain his current level of ability for the next 3-4 years.

He can, easily. He is just not that keen on the idea. Villa wouldn't be 'screwed' because I believe he'd continue to fund it and build them to get promoted. MON wasted a fortune which we all know about. Its normal for RL to be a bit more cautious about what he spends, doesn't mean he doesn't have the money because we all know he has.

Ok let me rephrase then using your analogy

If he isn't that keen on funding the current squad in the premiership, what will make him keen to fund it in the league below?

I'm pretty sure he'd want to be in the Premiership due to the huge money it generates. He isn't keen on paying the silly wages for some of the dross we have which is fair enough. If we went down (again, don't think we will) he'd be mad not to fund our return to the Premier League because he could afford to do it.

Maybe my memory is dodgy but I seem to remember some years ago there being claims on here that Lescott had to leave the Birmingham area for "personal reasons" - can anyone recall the story?

Edited by MikeMcKenna

Lescott and Parker would be brilliant additions in terms of experience and quality down the spine of the team, however their wages would be huge. If we do get them it would mean Lerners wage policy has shifted again.

+1

People creaming their Y Fronts over Lescott will probably end up very disappoint.

I know and perhaps some of the percentage of the same cluster moan like **** when we sign someone else in the same position instead for about 4m from abroad all because they never got the player they wanted that was totally unrealistic in the first place.

It's like they have met a stunning hot blonde in an internet chat room which seems unrealistic and too good to be true but yet still run with it and agree to meet them anyway but then land up disappointed when a Susan Boyle lookalike greets them at the train station!

Maybe my memory is dodgy but I seem to remember some years ago there being claims on here that Lescott had to leave the Birmingham area for "personal reasons" - can anyone recall the story?

I don't know the story exactly Mike but it is one of the many factors why he will not be joining us.

I can safely predict that we will not be signing Joleon Lescott now or perhaps ever for a varied number of different reasons.

People change - grow up.... Lot of water under the bridge & all that, so who knows?

I only remember hearing general stuff about him, someone's girlfriend, some nasty characters and a potential knee-capping.

How much of it is true, or would stop him coming back to the area, I don't know.

Personally I'd love to see him at Villa! A CB pairing of Vlaar and Lescott would be great, it'd be great for a top ten team!

I heard he was nailing a local gangstas daughter whilst at the dingles and when he dumped her, or cheated in her, daddy had him knee capped and left it at just that on condition he would leave the area and not move back permenantly. all hearsay of course.