Ashley Young

maqroll

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

There was a moment today up against Son and he recovered well. He’s still got a fair amount of pace. 

Question. Is he a better player than Cash?

I think we nearly got done because he had played Perisic onside but he then had the awareness to get back on the line and clear Kanes header. Excellent player to have in the squad but I expect Cash back next game.  

Yet another example of a modern player playing well beyond what has long been perceived as the natural expiration date.

it takes commitment and mentality and luck with injuries, so I’m not trying to downplay young in any way who has been amazing for us, but I’m sure we’ll see more such examples - Lewandowski will play another World Cup I’m sure.

I saw a Watford fan saying they were catching a cheap flight from London to some holiday destination and Young was on the same flight with his family in the budget seats. I think the point was that he was being praised for being down to earth, he was still the same Ashley Young they remember.

One thing that has gone unnoticed (maybe).... he has produced man-of-the-match level performances at both left-back and right-back.  Remarkable.  There are quite a few decent fullbacks that can play on both sides for sure, but there's always a drop-off in level when they're playing on their weaker side.  Young.... outstanding on both flanks...

A coaches dream and perhaps, a dream coach for us. So professional, so fit, totally and utterly clued in.

Watching that last 10-20 mins I though that between himself and Coutinho - you could see the experience. Hoof when necessary, slow it down when necessary and chase when appropriate.

Zero substitute for experience.

Edited by ccfcman

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Well, he’s been levels above him in every way I can think of through his career. I like Cash but he won’t win titles and he wouldn’t have won 40 England caps at any time. So even with the drop off that comes with age there will always be things he can just do to a higher level than Cash. Horses for courses I suspect.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

There was a moment today up against Son and he recovered well. He’s still got a fair amount of pace. 

He’s clearly a better footballer than Cash. Better touch, better passing, better read of the game.

Is he a better right back, week in week out, at this stage in his career? Tricky one. Think a lot will depend on the individual match situation, as he does get caught out defensively from time to time, and he is still really a converted winger.

I know Cash converted from winger too, but he did it so early in his career that he will feel more natural at RB.

Thing is though, with a really tactically minded coach like Emery, it’s quite possible that even at this age Young can improve at full back, because it’s *relatively* new to him (probably started playing there about 8 years ago?)

Edited by KentVillan

Just now, sidcow said:

There were some very embarrassing comments on here when we re-signed him. He'd just won the Italian league in a very athletically focused team. 

Should be some serious humble pie being eaten on here. 

I was very happy that we got him as I felt his mentality alone will help us. I love his shithousing on the pitch.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Honestly we should be grooming him for a coaching position for the youngsters. He would be a incredible asset here when he retires

Also be great to see a black player given a opportunity after boateng

I really don't think his skin colour should have anything to do with him being hired.

I do agree a out the influence on players tho. A model professional like him can only be good to have around the place.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I really don't think his skin colour should have anything to do with him being hired.

I do agree a out the influence on players tho. A model professional like him can only be good to have around the place.

Of course its shouldnt but it be nice to see a previous black player from within the club who deserves it. How many have we had previously? I cant think of any apart from boateng.

Ash deserves it

He's basically been here for what will probably be the two best periods for Villa in last two decades. MON and Emery eras.

Surely a club legend now and would love him to stay here after he retires from the game. I think he surely has another 18 months in him. 

• Like 1

Â