Ashley Young

maqroll

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Hope he gets his badges, would love to see him back in the Villa dugout.

I never get the fan craving for explayers to come back in a managerial role.  It’s a very different skill set and very few do a good job.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Best of luck ash. Thank you for your service. 

As stated in the other thread. He's not gone he's still deciding on the contract offer he has. If he wants to stay he can sign it.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I never get the fan craving for explayers to come back in a managerial role.  It’s a very different skill set and very few do a good job.

Sentimentality is fundamental to fandom, is it not? Nothing wrong with envisioning an aging player in a future coaching position with one's club. After all, most coaches were players at professional level. 

Young has the experience, professionalism and leadership qualities that put him in good stead for a career in coaching.

The players that have been offered a contract offer aren't list under released players, they're listed with the players under contract even if their contract is coming to an end at the end of this month, see Nketiah at Arsenal.

The list that Premier League have submitted is from May 27th, hence Targett still being on there, and no Carlos, Olson, or Kamara, so it could be that the Young situation has changed since then, maybe the player himself had a change of heart or whatever but at the time we submitted the list to the Premier League it looks as though he was being released.

Will have to wait for the club to publish details before we know for sure.

28 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

As stated in the other thread. He's not gone he's still deciding on the contract offer he has. If he wants to stay he can sign it.

I might have missed it but why has he been put on the release list.?

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Sentimentality is fundamental to fandom, is it not? Nothing wrong with envisioning an aging player in a future coaching position with one's club.

Yes and no! I think every fan has sentimentality of past players playing, I’m not sure all fans wish explayers become future coaches/managers of that club.  I agree there are a material percentage that do but I think there are a significant portion that don’t care because it is a very different skill set being asked.

17 minutes ago, maqroll said:

After all, most coaches were players at professional level. 

Yeah but most not at an elite level but you then obviously have the Pep’s of this world.   Bet most that have successfully moved from player to coach weren’t one of the favourites at the clubs they played for.  It’s general not about playing ability but as I say a different skill set.

20 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Young has the experience, professionalism and leadership qualities that put him in good stead for a career in coaching.

Maybe, but at what level of the game.  How does the other parts and probably more important parts of coaching/managing is he good at.  It’s like making your most talented employee a promotion into a managers position when while they are extremely technically talented their management skills aren’t great.  If Young is a great coach or potential to be, then great but his career of experience, professionalism and leadership is just a small component of whether he’d be a good coach.

Sentimentality and jobs for the boys is a very big problem in football.  I hope we are a better club than that.  If Young is good enough then I’d be delighted but if not then no thanks.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Not in other football yet? Mods are normally on this kind of thing like a rocket.  Must be out of respect. 

The respect levels for Bjorn Engels must be through the roof, for his thread can be found on page seven in On Topic. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I might have missed it but why has he been put on the release list.?

They have to because he hasn't signed a new contract yet. It's a list of all the players who's contracts are expired and have not signed extensions.

AVFC official have a tweet out for Hourihan thanking him because he has actually left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Players that are out of contract at the end of the month but have been offered a contract are listed amongst the contracted players, see our own DJ Campton-Sturridge, and a host of others from every club on the official list.

As I said the list that Premier League published today is from May 27th, so it might be that something has changed since then, but as of then Young was being released.

The Premier League have released a statement including all the released players from clubs following the conclusion of the 2021/22 season but have noted that players signified as a "free transfer" or released by a club on the expiry of their contract on 30 June 2022 could still remain at that club next season, therefore outlining that the list should not be seen as definitive for players leaving their club.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-retained-list-gerrard-24198545

Ash is negotiating an extension as Gerrard had said he would be offered a new deal. So I expect at some point in the coming weeks either an announcement he has signed a new deal or an announcement he is leaving the club 

Think Mods have made an error here. Trigger happy and should wait until the club announce of he's departing or not. As stated by Premier League site the lost doesn't mean those players are leaving the clubs. 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So I expect at some point in the coming weeks either an announcement he has signed a new deal 

It will be this. He isnt going to go somewhere else IMO, he came back here to get into coaching. 

Â