General England thread

kurtsimonw

sort of got a point though, Holt has done **** all this season except try injure people.  Lambert could be same next season.

If Lambert has a similar season next year then he should get a call up

I agree. Them getting a cap would almost just be a token gesture. Not trying to be harsh, but it would be like when Davies got an England cap. Fair play to him, he's done well in his career and you could say he deserved it. But he was never going to make himself a permanent fixture in the side, and neither would Holt or Lambert.

It doesn't really fit in with the supposed direction of building a young team for the future.

Why do these guys need to do it for 2 whole seasons to get a call up?

If are you are young, English and play for a top 5 club + Liverpool, you get a call up without doing anything.

I mean Jake Livermore has played for England this season  :mellow:

Even people like Martin Kelly and Jonjo Shelvey get called up.

Lambert has scored 14 goals in the Premier League this season while Welbeck has 1.

as I said in the transfer thread, McManaman lacks composure in the final 3rd to even be a good signing for us.

Albrighton had a better season a few years ago and no way he would have got near England squad

I think you're being a bit harsh on McManaman. He's far better on the ball than Albrighton and can actually beat a man. It doesn't surprise me at all that Wigan dominated for 15 minutes or so after HT then completely collapse when he got injured. Very good player.

Wellbeck is gash offers nothing, runs around like a headless chicken half the time. Had a shit season this year. He is one of those players who only get picked because who he plays for. Put him in any team below the top 6 and you would never hear of him.

I think sometimes it's a tough call though. People for years and years have whinged that Lampard and Gerrard are shit for England and shouldn't be played - but they earn their call ups by being amongst the best players in the World at club level. Now people complain saying Wellbeck or whoever doesn't deserve a call up - despite him keeping his place due to the goals he's been scoring for England over the past year.

So which is it, should people deserve a place through their club performance or their England performance? Because it's going to be rare a player is a beast for both club and country.

Someone on Twitter posted "Most exciting England team in ages"... so I quickly started watching sky sports news only to see it's the exact same team as always. So dull. 

Exciting maybe if you get excited by watching paint to dry too.

• Like 1

Welbeck is possibly the worst 'winger' I've ever seen  :crylaugh:

He is a natural striker

Who has been played on the wing all season. And he's been dreadful.

I think calling Wellbeck dreadful is harsh.

He has his moments, and does a lot for the team that goes unnoticed because he doesn't get goals.

That's not to say he deserves to be in the ENgland squad, but he is a decent player. He was brilliant against Real Madrid.

Welbeck is possibly the worst 'winger' I've ever seen  :crylaugh:

He is a natural striker

So are Walcott and Gabby.

Yet they have to play and wide and they manage more than 1 goal all season.

Â