General England thread

kurtsimonw

Not one player who excites. Needs new faces to freshen it up.

that's what I really don't understand, now is the time to do it, there isn't a single player in that squad (apart from the 3rd choice keeper) that will tell anyone anything new, so what is the point of it?

The thing is you'd think Roy Hodgson would not be so biased towards the big clubs when you consider he did well at the smaller clubs and failed at the big ones.

Not one player who excites. Needs new faces to freshen it up.

that's what I really don't understand, now is the time to do it, there isn't a single player in that squad (apart from the 3rd choice keeper) that will tell anyone anything new, so what is the point of it?

In fairness, Who could he call up. Their is not a huge stream of exciting young talent coming through Wilshire excepted, maybe the lad from CHelsea Chaboloah but he is too young. Look through Under 21 squad for example and how many of them would deserve a call up.  I think FA realise this as well and thats why went with safe pair of hands in Hodgson

Harry Redknapp should have got the job.

But the FA had to go with the safe, boring, conservative option.

Yeah, he ain't Bobby Robson by long shot but at least he'd been better choice than Woy, but it's a shame that there aren't any bright younger english managers, Finnish football association at least had sense to hire Mixu Paatelainen who is mostly doing a good work, bringing up younger players and at least having somewhat more adventurous tactics than any previous of our managers.

Didnt Hodgson get them to their highest position ever in a qualifiers. I think they just missed play-offs on goal difference or something

No, three points and goal difference from the second place in qualification group for euro 08 but closests is missing playoff by two points for 1998 world cup where we were one goal away from the win against Hungary who scored to 1-1 in stoppage time.

its still a pretty good achievement for nation like Finland.  I be shocked if Paatelainen gets anywhere close to that

If you compare this squad to what Belgium have at their disposal there's no way England are going to do anything in 2014 even if we qualify.

And if you compare Wigans squad to Man City theres no way Wigan will ever win the FA cup..

fair point but  the winners of world cups are normally the best teams. In the FA Cup a lot of the bigger teams play weakened teams until the final stages. Anyonr that thinks that this England squad could win a world cup is sadly deluded.

Edited by PaulC

Hodgson strikes me as incredibly stubborn. He has his set favourite players and he won't deviate from them regardless of how badly his chosen players are playing and how well others are playing.

Really can't wait until he leaves.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Harry Redknapp should have got the job.

But the FA had to go with the safe, boring, conservative option.

Yeah, he ain't Bobby Robson by long shot but at least he'd been better choice than Woy, but it's a shame that there aren't any bright younger english managers, Finnish football association at least had sense to hire Mixu Paatelainen who is mostly doing a good work, bringing up younger players and at least having somewhat more adventurous tactics than any previous of our managers.

Didnt Hodgson get them to their highest position ever in a qualifiers. I think they just missed play-offs on goal difference or something

No, three points and goal difference from the second place in qualification group for euro 08 but closests is missing playoff by two points for 1998 world cup where we were one goal away from the win against Hungary who scored to 1-1 in stoppage time.

its still a pretty good achievement for nation like Finland.  I be shocked if Paatelainen gets anywhere close to that

Not in our current group: Spain, France, Georgia, Belarus and Finland. We had easier group in Euro 08 qualification: Poland, Portugal, Belgium, Serbia, Kazakhstan, Armenia and Azerbaijan. In the last game we drew Spain 1-1 away which was great result and I think we have much better chance of getting forward under Paatelainen than Hodgson.

I remember Hodgson getting some stick from fans for using the aging players and not blooding or trying the younger players, he is not the sort of manager you want when you should be moving forward and building for the future.

We probably had our best national team in the late 90s and early 2000s, our manager in 1996-1999 was Richard Møller Nielsen who was a good manager but we still didn't know how to win the important games, we had the likes of Litmanen, Johansson, Kolkka, Tainio, Hyypiä, Jääskeläinen etc. in their prime or coming into their prime and should've done better but mentally they weren't ready.

Hodgson strikes me as incredibly stubborn. He has his set favourite players and he won't deviate from them regardless of how badly his chosen players are playing and how well others are playing.

people keep saying this but who are these players? How many players in top 8 in Premier League are English and missing out

people keep saying this but who are these players? How many players in top 8 in Premier League are English and missing out

A good example would be the strikers. Carroll, Defoe and Welbeck are always picked yet Gabby for example is not despite being in better form than all of them.

Carroll has been in good form, Welbeck has never let England down. Gabby has had his chances for England though and pulled out of a few squads maybe he doesnt want to play.

thats 1 player who else should he call up. He called up some kids for friendlies vs Italy to try them and he got criticized for it

This has been a criticism of pretty much every England manager I can remember.

Carroll has been in good form, Welbeck has never let England down. Gabby has had his chances for England though and pulled out of a few squads maybe he doesnt want to play.

thats 1 player who else should he call up. He called up some kids for friendlies vs Italy to try them and he got criticized for it

He seems to miss a lot of chances for England (and even more for United).

Â