Media and punditry

BOF

I don't mind recognition what irritates me is them spending so much time criticizing when we lose goals because of the high line.

Yet they don't use the same energy when we do well because of the high line.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 22:35, mikeyp102 said:

BBC clearly don’t have a clue how we play and clearly don’t watch.. according to them Kamara was in a back 3 today 🤦🏻‍♂️

But the adventurous, attacking formation that Emery has deployed - with three at the back and Matty Cash and Lucas Digne as wing-backs - allows Douglas Luiz the freedom to move into a more advanced role”

Match report

Yes sometimes we do go there at the back, but we did t today at all.

When I went to look at the lineups an hour before kick off the BBC seemed very confused, with Kamara at CB, Konsa RB, Cash RM and Zaniolo at CM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m quick to complain when we don’t get any recognition, so should for the sake of balance share the Emery praise too. Sky Sports analysis piece shows more respect to Unai than most:

Why top five is not the ceiling for Aston Villa

Contrast that to the headline a few articles up, “Gerrard under fire at Al Ettifaq”, and we can all feel great about Villa one year on. 

I can't believe Gerrard is under fire at Al Ettifaq. What the Ettifaq??? You know what, its because of the lack of crowds. That's it. He needs to work at a place with an attendance over 42,657 and he'll thrive.

23 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Just as a little bonus fact to this stat - all of the managers on the list (apart from Unai thus far) won the PL with these clubs. 

It is written! 

I don't think grant did, did he? Thought they finished 2nd by like 2 or 3 points. 

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I don't want any attention or media recognition.

Going under the radar suit us.

I'd love for no one to talk about us.

I think that horse has bolted this week. Seems pretty much every outlet has done a piece on us, Unai, Ollie or Dougie and whether we can break into the top 4.

I find it refreshing and exciting coming from being pretty much invisible in the media. Unai has stated his target as CL qualification for the season, but equally I'm pretty sure he'll keep heads focused on the job and stop complacency coming in. Job's only 1/4 done so far.

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I don't want any attention or media recognition.

Going under the radar suit us.

I'd love for no one to talk about us.

On one hand I agree, stay under the radar and do well without pressure. 

However, ultimately if long term we want to challenge the top 4 and compete for trophies then realistically we need to massively up our turnover. 

This will only happen when we get the media attention. When we generate clicks and get the attention of other fans. This will lead to increased merchandise sales and higher sponsorship deals.

Â