Media and punditry

BOF

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

At least we don't have to listen to Andy **** Townsend anymore. He's not been in and around the (commentary) box for a while now.

He was on the radio last night co-commentating on the Wolves v Chelsea game! 

Caught about 15 mins of the beeb red button coverage and two things stick in my mind:

A goal went in and the at ground pundit said: "It was a good kick. With his left foot." and that was it

Then at HT in the Huddersfield ,v Citeh match Dion came out with the astounding piece of punditry: "Huddersfield will think they are still in this".

IT WAS GOALLESS OF COURSE THEY WOULD YOU MUPPET

I have a horrible feeling that joey barton will end up as a media pundit once he reitres/gets sacked again.

Like we need another motormouth gobshite à la micky quinn/robbie savage :(

53 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I have a horrible feeling that joey barton will end up as a media pundit once he reitres/gets sacked again.

Like we need another motormouth gobshite à la micky quinn/robbie savage :(

That or replace Dimbleby on Question Time :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Funnily enough I've had that problem with MotD for a while. You'd be watching the highlights of a game where something controversial happened later, and the commentary would mage very pointed comments earlier in the highlights to tease or lead the narrative. It's like they recorded the commentary afterwards and swung it subtly towards telling the 'story' of the game rather than reporting what happened as it happened. 

Reninds me of

I wouldn't be a fan of Pearce but that was some serious commentating.

• Like 2

Don't mind Townsend.

I'm also very much in the minority in that I think Savage is an o.k pundit....

Ones I can't stand are people like Phil Neville who seem to be held in high esteem due to their careers but when you actually listen to them make points on Football...you realise they don't have much of a clue.

Jenas is another who states the bleeding obvious all the time but is heralded as some great pundit as he can string a few sentences together.

Article on Sky about potential next Arsenal manager as discussed on the Sunday supplement this morning, using the discussion on the show for quotes some journo called Jason Burt of the telegraph says ancelotti could go to Arsenal as "he isn't having the greatest time at Bayern Munich"

bayern are 8 points clear at the top of the league and just spanked Arsenal in the Champions league.

yep he's really not doing well at all.

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Don't mind Townsend.

I'm also very much in the minority in that I think Savage is an o.k pundit....

Ones I can't stand are people like Phil Neville who seem to be held in high esteem due to their careers but when you actually listen to them make points on Football...you realise they don't have much of a clue.

Jenas is another who states the bleeding obvious all the time but is heralded as some great pundit as he can string a few sentences together.

I've never heard anyone say anything positive about either.

It was more from the perspective of the BBC....Neville is regularly on MOTD 2 and they seem to be moulding Jenas into their next regular pundit given he does most live games and also co-hosts the Friday evening show on 5 Live.

Always said I prefer the ITV pundits during major tournaments...they're a bit more left field like Bilic and Bellamy....and Pulis.

• Like 1

Jacqui Oatley was good, but I haven't heard her in a while. Haven't heard the new lady. 

Jermaine Jenas is useless as an analyst IMO. He is very well-spoken for a footballer but says little of interest and spends far far too much time talking about golf. At least half of his show with Darren Fletcher is anecdotes about pro's and ex-pro's he met on the 18th green. Infuriating. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VillaChris said:

How many Male commentators have you brought up on this thread who use the same stock phrases/expressions?

At least she got the goalscorers correctly identified....I always remember Ian Darke on Sky confusing Shevchenko for Lampard when Chelsea scored a goal.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

You see Trent I do like Murphy but it's just his voice.....:cheers:

An open goal even Bosko Balaban couldn't miss.

This is a 127 page thread where people moan about pundits and commentators. 

Are you really suggesting people haven't moaned about male commentators using cliches or stock phrases before, or male commentators in general?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

You see Trent I do like Murphy but it's just his voice.....:cheers:

An open goal even Bosko Balaban couldn't miss.

No you've lost me. I assume you are suggesting (again) my issue with the women on MOTD was her gender. 

If that's the case then it's an OG rather than open goal.

17 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Pulis was class when on co-commentary last year doing a Spain match. Within 5 minutes he was moaning about them not making the most of set pieces.

If ITV had Mark Chapman instead of Chiles presenting then it would be the best thing on UK television. Lee Dixon takes himself far too seriously though.

I love it when Pulis commentates, he has this great ability to consolidate every single player's name on the pitch into one, simply put, "the lad". 

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

No you've lost me. I assume you are suggesting (again) my issue with the women on MOTD was her gender. 

If that's the case then it's an OG rather than open goal.

I actually thought you'd put she had "a whiny voice." Turns out it was Pangloss.

It just amused me as even though I think Murphy is one of the better pundits around (not saying much) he has such a dull and monotone voice when he does co commentaries (reminds me of that priest in Father Ted when they're all stuck in the lingerie department....)

Anyway back to the female....I really don't see what was so wrong with her commentary.

Â